A Sirius problem (won't activate) - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A4 > A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Log In 


A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5-present

A Sirius problem (won't activate)

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 288
Default A Sirius problem (won't activate)

My free three-month subscription to Sirius worked fine--no technical hassles. Yesterday, a day or two after the subscription ran out, I called them and activated a subscription, gave them the receiver ID info, etc. The customer service person was nearly incomprehensible (and I am very good at understanding all kinds of accents--not hers).

The Sirius subscription wasn't operative today, so I called them back again, and I ended up with the same person. Now she tells me that I have to go out in my car (which was in my yard), start it up and tune to channel 184. Well, you can't select any Sirius channels on our cars unless the subscription is activated. So the screen continued to show the notice that I should call Sirius to start a subscription. The woman tells me that her screen says my radio has been updated. I tell her no. She asks me if the car is in a clear location--yes, it is. Then she asks me if it's cloudy. I tell her yes, then she tells me that's the problem--even though the Sirius functioned fine when parked on that very spot in a heavy snowstorm.

She had me turn off the car's Bluetooth mode, turn the car off, open both doors(!), restart the car. Three rounds of this and no Sirius.

So, more experienced Audi owners: (a) Is my radio kaput and the Sirius lady handing me a line of B.S. about cloudiness, or (b) should I call her back when it's sunny?
__________________
Infiniti G37x
perdido34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 926
Default

You might try resetting your MMI. It might allow the activation to complete.


Restarting the MMI system (Reset)
You can restart the MMI system and restore full normal
operation by pressing a combination of buttons.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
2009 A5 3.2 6MT | Brillant Black/Black | Prem | Nav | Tech | B&O
1997 A4 2.8 5MT (sold)
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,491
Default

She's feeding you BS. I received a call from them to offer me a 50% off deal after I let the trial expire. I was unable to make sure the activation went through at the time, so I called the 1-800 # on the display a cpl of hrs later. I went through the automated menu to 'activate' my service. It went through w/out a hitch.
__________________
Tschüß!
Šave
_________________________________________________
'10 Brilliant Black A4 Sline • Hüper Optik • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • Hankook V12's • ST-40 BBK
Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Meisterwerk STS
Wish List: PSS10's • New Wheels • ECodes
UmIsThisThingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn View Post
She's feeding you BS. I received a call from them to offer me a 50% off deal after I let the trial expire. I was unable to make sure the activation went through at the time, so I called the 1-800 # on the display a cpl of hrs later. I went through the automated menu to 'activate' my service. It went through w/out a hitch.
I thought that telling me to open both doors of the car to "reset everything" was BS (but who knows). It reminded me of a Dell tech who told me to pull the power cord out of the machine AND out of the wall "to let out the dirty power."
__________________
Infiniti G37x
perdido34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
You might try resetting your MMI. It might allow the activation to complete.
Tried it. Didn't help. Today Sirius told me that I should take the car to the dealer for a "hard reset" that takes 30 seconds. Is that different than the MMI reset procedure you suggested?

EDIT: Today the service mgr told me he asked three technicians if they had ever heard of "a hard reset," and they all said no. So I'm bringing in the car tonight.
__________________
Infiniti G37x

Last edited by perdido34; 04-05-2010 at 04:44 AM.
perdido34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Default

I would recommend calling Sirius's 800 number and going through the automated computer prompts. It's how i re-activated my car.
khmerguy978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmerguy978 View Post
I would recommend calling Sirius's 800 number and going through the automated computer prompts. It's how i re-activated my car.
That doesn't work. I tried that. I went to the dealer today and they spent 20 minutes on the phone with Sirius (normally it takes five min, they said). It was something wrong on the Sirius side. Now I have my music package but no traffic.


EDIT: I think Sirius has only one tech person that you get if you call about activating a radio that was installed by the manufacturer. This is the person named Marta that I have talked to SIX times. Finally, everything is working.
__________________
Infiniti G37x

Last edited by perdido34; 04-06-2010 at 02:41 PM.
perdido34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Can anyone please help me find the SID number? Sirius can't help me locate it and i can't get it during set up. It doesn't give me the option.
Even with the VIN they can't seem to find it. I see channels 184 and the message call Sirius. The only other things are "No Type" and a combination of letters, numbers and dashes like J --- 0
I din't buy from an Audi dealer so I hope maybe someone has experienced this. Sirius was of no help. It's a 2008 A4 Cab w/o navigation but with tire if this helps. I would really appreciate any assistance.
Thanks so much,
Hank
HankTenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
 
jbradle7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 13
Default

I had this same thing happen to me today and after an hour of messing around with the SIRIUS people the tech said my radio was faulty... how could this be when it worked perfectly before they cut off my signal? After the whole fiasco I cancelled my subscription. I'm guessing now though if I want the dealer to take a look at it I'm going to have to sign back up before taking the car in to the dealer... I hate dealing with those morons again if I'm not sure what the problem is.

Any suggestions?
jbradle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
 
ceb7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11
Default

I had the same problem getting Sirius to "activate". I tried various things and the following finally worked:

1) Start car

2) Turn the radio to Sirius (display shows the "to activate your Sirius call ....")

3) Leave the car running.

4) Log onto Sirius.com with your account/password. Click on the ESN link at the bottom of the page. Click the "Re-Send Activation Signal" link. Check the "check boxes" and then the "send activation request". (Alternatively, you could phone Sirius and have them re-send the signal).

I hope this helps.

-C.
__________________
Aruba Blue 2010 A4 Prestige (manual)
ceb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1
Default

i had the same problem when I re-activated. I tried moving my car, opening doors, resarting the car, etc. Turns out being on my cell phone in the car was causing the interference during activation. The sirius rep promised to resend the activation after we hung up the phone and that did the trick.
jonnymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
AudiWorld Member
 
ThePiombino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North JerZ
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymc View Post
Turns out being on my cell phone in the car was causing the interference during activation
That's intriguing seeing as being on our cells phones doesn't cause interference with the radio at other times. I can't imagine their sending a unique frequency just for activations.
__________________
09 A4 2.0T Quattro - Tip - Black/Black /// MODS: APR Stage II+ l AWE CB Exhaust l 034 HFC l EC HFIC Pipe l Forge DV Spacer l 3M Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Interior Trim l 3M Chrome Grille Trim l SG Supreme 28 l Debadged l Fly Eyes Kit (f&r) l Needle Sweep l Window/Moonroof control w/Keyfob l Seat Belt Chime Disabled l "Wink" Disabled l Double Unlock "Beep"
ThePiombino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Default

TIP:

Do not buy into Sirius's "soft" and "hard" reset troubleshooting suggestions. These methods do not work and result in nothing but frustration on the consumers part as well as possible hefty (and unnecessary) fees for a new factory installed radio that you do not need to replace

If you are having difficulties re-activating your service, do the following:

1. Write down your ESN number for your Sirius Account. (This will be important later)

2. Call Sirius and ask for Technical Support. Tell the representative you have done the "soft" reset and it does not work.
- Make sure your radio is tuned to Ch. 184 and car ant. is not obstructed in any way.

3. Ask the Tech Rep to enter in a "DUMMY" ESN number to your Sirius Account, refresh and then RE-ENTER your original ESN number. Once that has been done, have the technical rep RE-SEND the activation signal.
- According the tech rep I spoke with at Sirius, your ESN cannot be saved in their system and once it is erased it is difficult to locate again. I'm not sure how 'true' that is, but thats the reason for step #1.

4. DONE. no soft resets and no hard resets.

Fortunately for me, I figured this out within 24 hours of reactivating my service with Sirius.

MY STORY: I had a free 1yr trial and did not renew my subscription. A year later (now) I wanted to have the Sirius service again and then I started having problems "reactivating" my service. I don't know the technical side behind why you have to have Sirius put a "dummy" ESN in the system (or zero out your ESN) reenter your original ESN and then resend the signal, but it works. And its the only thing that made sense to me.

I hope this helps everyone who has been frustrated with this.
theautoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
Default

I had the same problem described in this thread and was told by the Sirius Customre Care rep that my "Mostly Music" plan was not compatible with the Audi radio. As soon as the plan was switched to "Sirius Everything", the radio immediately updated and started working. YMMV.
Mr_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 287
Default

I called Sirius a week ago to extend my 3-month trial subscription into a 2-year regular subscription on my 2011 A4. The Sirius rep assured me there would be no break in service (guess where this is going next). The next day, the audio went off, except for channel 184, and I got messages on the MMI screen advising me to renew my subscription. I tried twice to activate the system through their internet site, without success. I called Sirius, was on hold for ten minutes, got dropped out of the call, called back, was on hold for another ten minutes, then spoke to a customer service rep who told me in heavily accented English that I hadn't renewed. I contacted my bank, who told me Sirius hasn't charged my credit account yet for the renewal. I e-mailed Sirius asking them to expidite the credit card process so I can get the radio reception. They still haven't replied -- so much for the message on their Contact Us page, "We'll reply to you within 24 hours." I wish I had enough free time in my life to really enjoy this nonsense, but I don't. This is in complete contrast to my experience with the XM radio on my 2010 Honda, which went seamlessly from the 3-month trial subscription into a regular two-year subscription. Maybe XM is more serious about doing business than Sirius is.
__________________
--------------------------------


Although it began to rain later on, Audi prepared the Auto Union Type C for the track, which took more than one hour. We could hear the engine warm up through the whole valley. Everybody was quiet, waiting for the car. The valley was the church, and the engine was a prayer with sixteen voices, praying about motorsport. And the smell from the exhaust gases of the sixteen-cylinder engine hung in the air.
Holger Merten, AtlasF1.com Nostalgia Forum
Brian Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #16
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 545
Default

the ol' "pay us more money" and we'll fix it! genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brown View Post
I had the same problem described in this thread and was told by the Sirius Customre Care rep that my "Mostly Music" plan was not compatible with the Audi radio. As soon as the plan was switched to "Sirius Everything", the radio immediately updated and started working. YMMV.
__________________
Current:
2015 Q5 TDI 3.0T
Monsoon Grey
P+, Tech, B&O, Towing

Former:
2012 Q5 2.0T
Moonlight Blue
Premium+, Towing

2009 A4 Avant 2.0TQ
Quartz Grey
Premium+

2007 A4 Avant 2.0TQM
Deep Blue Pearl

2003 A4 Avant 1.8TQM
Atlas Grey
Avant4Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #17
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 20
Default

This is the only way I could get it to work on my 2010 B8. None of that hard/soft reset, open and close the door stuff, etc. worked. Sirius customer service can't seem to grasp the fact that on a B8 you can't tune the MMI to channel 184 when the service is expired.

Unfortunately, Sirius only seems to give you the great subscription deals once your prior one has expired, so I am going to have to get used to this practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb7 View Post
I had the same problem getting Sirius to "activate". I tried various things and the following finally worked:

1) Start car

2) Turn the radio to Sirius (display shows the "to activate your Sirius call ....")

3) Leave the car running.

4) Log onto Sirius.com with your account/password. Click on the ESN link at the bottom of the page. Click the "Re-Send Activation Signal" link. Check the "check boxes" and then the "send activation request". (Alternatively, you could phone Sirius and have them re-send the signal).

I hope this helps.

-C.
pilot4300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
 
ceb7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4300 View Post
<.snip> ... you can't tune the MMI to channel 184 when the service is expired.

...

I believe when you turn the radio to Sirius (display shows the "to activate your Sirius call ....") that *IS* channel 184.
__________________
Aruba Blue 2010 A4 Prestige (manual)
ceb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #19
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5
Default Sirius - Traffic

Has anyone had any trouble renewing their Sirius Traffic subscription after the trial period? I've spent countless hours with Sirius customer service...to no avail. In the current state, I have access to all Sirius audio channels...but when I select the INFO button I don't get any of the traffic data for the Navigation system. I had traffic during the trial period...but Sirius says that there's no "package" that allows me to use a single ESN for both Audio (radio) & Data (traffic) packages. Has anyone had this same experience?

2011 Q5 - Prestige
__________________
EDD: 9/28/2010 - 2011 Audi Q5 Prestige 3.2 FSI, Quartz Gray, Cinnamon Brown
Mr. Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
AudiWorld Newcomer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hilton Head Island
Posts: 2
Default Finally

Below is the tip that finally worked! I spent 6 or 7 excruciating calls to Sirius trying to tell me to turn to channel 184 - not possible in my 2010 A4 Avant, all I got was a page saying to call Sirius' 888 number - and the idiots telling me to 'soft' and 'hard' resets. One even told me it was a dealer problem and that I had to take it in. Luckily, I found this post - demanded to talk to a tech rep (not the first person you talk to, but a second level tech) and walked them through the below steps. It fixed the problem immediately. They even gave me a whole five dollar discount on my new account - totally worth the three hours of my life I lost.

Thank you whoever you are that posted this info.





Quote:
Originally Posted by theautoking View Post
TIP:

Do not buy into Sirius's "soft" and "hard" reset troubleshooting suggestions. These methods do not work and result in nothing but frustration on the consumers part as well as possible hefty (and unnecessary) fees for a new factory installed radio that you do not need to replace

If you are having difficulties re-activating your service, do the following:

1. Write down your ESN number for your Sirius Account. (This will be important later)

2. Call Sirius and ask for Technical Support. Tell the representative you have done the "soft" reset and it does not work.
- Make sure your radio is tuned to Ch. 184 and car ant. is not obstructed in any way.

3. Ask the Tech Rep to enter in a "DUMMY" ESN number to your Sirius Account, refresh and then RE-ENTER your original ESN number. Once that has been done, have the technical rep RE-SEND the activation signal.
- According the tech rep I spoke with at Sirius, your ESN cannot be saved in their system and once it is erased it is difficult to locate again. I'm not sure how 'true' that is, but thats the reason for step #1.

4. DONE. no soft resets and no hard resets.

Fortunately for me, I figured this out within 24 hours of reactivating my service with Sirius.

MY STORY: I had a free 1yr trial and did not renew my subscription. A year later (now) I wanted to have the Sirius service again and then I started having problems "reactivating" my service. I don't know the technical side behind why you have to have Sirius put a "dummy" ESN in the system (or zero out your ESN) reenter your original ESN and then resend the signal, but it works. And its the only thing that made sense to me.

I hope this helps everyone who has been frustrated with this.
sketch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2006, 2008, a4, a6, activate, audi, call, display, number, phone, problem, problems, quattro, radio, restart, sirius, subscription

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:14 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community