A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

? for those with facelift that retrofitted backup cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ? for those with facelift that retrofitted backup cam

So I've done a ton of research on this and understand there are a few options out there, which are essentially aftermarket kits that interace with the OEM system.

Let's say I have MMI 3G in a facelift A4. Let's say I have factory rear PDC. Can you add an OEM backup camera and code with VCDS?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by samps
So I've done a ton of research on this and understand there are a few options out there, which are essentially aftermarket kits that interace with the OEM system.

Let's say I have MMI 3G in a facelift A4. Let's say I have factory rear PDC. Can you add an OEM backup camera and code with VCDS?
You can add aftermarket RVC without the need to do any VCDS coding. I just did it a couple of months ago and posted here about it: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-pics-2893052/

BTW, I also have a ross-tech cable and you don't need to do any additional programming with the parts involved.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
You can add aftermarket RVC without the need to do any VCDS coding. I just did it a couple of months ago and posted here about it: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-pics-2893052/

BTW, I also have a ross-tech cable and you don't need to do any additional programming with the parts involved.
Yeah, I've actually read through that thread and everything there is very promising. I've also read other information that uses the same kit. What I'm wondering is if I have MMI 3G and factory rear PDC, what my options are for adding an OEM camera. Wondering if I can get the camera, route and connect to module and recode using VCDS.

I haven't been able to find any information on retrofitting OEM parts.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by samps
Yeah, I've actually read through that thread and everything there is very promising. I've also read other information that uses the same kit. What I'm wondering is if I have MMI 3G and factory rear PDC, what my options are for adding an OEM camera. Wondering if I can get the camera, route and connect to module and recode using VCDS.

I haven't been able to find any information on retrofitting OEM parts.
Yes you CAN do that as well...but why? Since there won't be any difference, in terms of functionality. Plus the cost of doing it entirely OEM will be higher. However, if you adamant to do it OEM, take a look at the attached and you'll find the parts required.

BTW, on the Q5 3.0T I installed in it had a 3G+MMI and rear parking detectors. With the aftermarket install, everything continues to work flawlessly as per OEM design and I actually find the picture quality even better than that which comes from the OEM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Backup Camera.pdf (1.35 MB, 786 views)
Old 02-12-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes you CAN do that as well...but why? Since there won't be any difference, in terms of functionality. Plus the cost of doing it entirely OEM will be higher. However, if you adamant to do it OEM, take a look at the attached and you'll find the parts required.

BTW, on the Q5 3.0T I installed in it had a 3G+MMI and rear parking detectors. With the aftermarket install, everything continues to work flawlessly as per OEM design and I actually find the picture quality even better than that which comes from the OEM.
Thanks for the PDF. Totally agree in terms of functionality. I was thinking about complete 100% integration, ie. menu options on the MMI screen - viewing modes and potentially installing a center console 'P' button like I have in my Q5.

I have no doubt that the aftermarket route is cheaper and just as effective for day to day use, but wanted to get a sense of premium for complete OEM integration. Maybe it's astronomically higher - just hoped there would be a write up/instructions for that option to better understand level of effort and cost involved.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just to help the OP make an informed decision I notice in the picture that the overlay graphics is not the same as in my A4 with factory installed backup camera (and parking plus).
In the upper right hand corner I have the switch to choose guide lines for parallel parking. (I also have the graphics of the 8 sensors to the left that is an added feature for the parking PLUS.) I don't know if this after market system has the parallel parking mode but that could be a difference. I also have a wider field of view, showing a piece of the bumper (so I get a clear view of the towing ball when backing up to a trailer.) Maybe something to check before deciding.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
Just to help the OP make an informed decision I notice in the picture that the overlay graphics is not the same as in my A4 with factory installed backup camera (and parking plus).
In the upper right hand corner I have the switch to choose guide lines for parallel parking. (I also have the graphics of the 8 sensors to the left that is an added feature for the parking PLUS.) I don't know if this after market system has the parallel parking mode but that could be a difference. I also have a wider field of view, showing a piece of the bumper (so I get a clear view of the towing ball when backing up to a trailer.) Maybe something to check before deciding.
Yes this is what I was referring to when I mentioned viewing modes. I have the same setup as you've described in my Q5, which also has front sensors. What I'm looking to potentially do is have the same setup except the front sensors.

So with a car that has factory PDC ( but not front) and MMI 3G, is adding the OEM camera and coding to have all OEM functionality pretty straight forward.

I appreciate that adding front sensors as well would add complexity and even further, it would be extremely complex for a car that had no factory PDC.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's how I added the Audi RVC to my 2010 A6: Coding Rear View Camera

It took some effort but is doable.