A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Temp control

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp control

Hey

My 09 A4's temp control has a mind of its own. Turning on fan at its own disgresson. Is this a fixable problem?

gc.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, take it off 'auto' and set it manually. I haven't used 'auto' since mid-2010.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just going to post the same thing. Auto climate control seems like a total #FAIL in Spring for my 2012 A4.

If it's 68 degrees outside, the thing maxes out on fan speed unless I set it for like 75 degrees internally, which is too hot.

How could auto climate control not work in a 2012 car? Something Audi can fix/adjust? My prior car's auto system had no such issues... and it was about 1/2 the price.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Taking it off auto does not make a difference. For example, I have climate off, I turn on seat warmer and the whole thing turns on fan level 10
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gravitycure
Taking it off auto does not make a difference. For example, I have climate off, I turn on seat warmer and the whole thing turns on fan level 10
Why not set the temperature to a setting that you like. Then when the setting agrees with the actual temperature (I assume you liked it the way it was when you turned the system off), the fan speed will be controlled to a low level.

It seems, however, that there is no truly manual fan speed control. The fan setting works like an offset to what the system thinks it should be.

I have seen (somewhere) in the descriptions of VCDS (VAG-COM), that there should be parameters available for reduction of fan speed at low speed driving (in order not to disturb too much). As well as settings that affects the automatic distribution and also parameters for "a little warmer or a little colder" than the standard. Maybe someone has tried and can confirm if those are available in the B8.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I was just going to post the same thing. Auto climate control seems like a total #FAIL in Spring for my 2012 A4.

If it's 68 degrees outside, the thing maxes out on fan speed unless I set it for like 75 degrees internally, which is too hot.

How could auto climate control not work in a 2012 car? Something Audi can fix/adjust? My prior car's auto system had no such issues... and it was about 1/2 the price.
Spring time is a problem, yes. You need to go manual more often than not this time of the year.

I always keep my AC off unless I need it. I also have the fan on 3 to keep it quiet. Come spring and this thing decides to open the center vents and freeze the sh*t out of you.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the automatic mode leaves much to be desired. It's either too sensitive, or overly complex. I could set my 10 year old BMW's at a particular temperature, and they were so good at regulating temperature, I wouldn't have to touch the **** for months. In the Audi, I'm constantly adjusting the temperature on every trip.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BMWBig6
I agree that the automatic mode leaves much to be desired. It's either too sensitive, or overly complex. I could set my 10 year old BMW's at a particular temperature, and they were so good at regulating temperature, I wouldn't have to touch the **** for months. In the Audi, I'm constantly adjusting the temperature on every trip.
I keep mine at 72, fan on 3, AC off. Haven't touched that for months. Last spring when it first decided to open the center vents I played with the temperature or manually controlled the vents. Hasn't done that to me yet this year. I suppose I'll set the vents manually when it happens. I guess what makes it do that is when the outside temp is much below the set point and the inside temp is above the set point as it may be the case when the spring sun heats up the console.