A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA

Old 09-02-2009, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA

I know this has been discussed many times and is not new but after talking with a Management representative at AOA this week, I thought I'd provide an update and perhaps consolidate the many previous discussions with his confirmations.

There are two Audi recognized vibration issues with 2009 B8 A4s (U.S.) and neither is software or tire related (unless, of course, there is actually a wheel out of balance or damaged). One is the low speed "shuddering" that occurs on certain surfaces at very low speeds. The second is the 65-70 mph high speed vibration noticed in the steering wheel that many have experienced to varying degrees and mileages. In my case, the first has been observable from about 5000 miles and the second has become progressively more noticeable and is now reproducible at all times at 65-70 mph.

This week, the AOA corporate rep informed me that Audi factory engineers have been working on the problem and they are focused on the design of a steering system hose. He told me they will eventually have a TSB fix for this once they are certain they have fully tested it and are certain they have solved the problem. He said it could be 1-2 months before a TSB would be issued.

The high speed vibration is also an Audi recognized issue and they now have a TSB out that addresses this. After the dealer has force balanced the wheels and if the problem persists, they are to contact AOA for approval to change out the lower control arms. Apparently, Audi has changed the control arms with stiffer bushings <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: darkgreen;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0"></nobr>in the new arms to alleviate this issue. (He confirmed The 2010 A4s have deployed these new control arms at the build). The only drawback is they are back-ordered on the new arms due to the demand and I was told it could take a few weeks for the dealer to obtain them for your car.

All will be covered under warranty.

I too, have experienced both of these issues and after speaking to the AOA Management rep this week, I'm hoping to have these resolved at my next service (assuming the low speed shudder issue has finally been resolved and they can get the arms in stock).

He said that all Audi service centers should have this information. If you get any pushback from the dealer, contact Audi of America directly.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

The very low speed shudder issue is intermittent -- but a fix for that will also be welcome.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
(He confirmed The 2010 A4s have deployed these new control arms at the build).
Cool, this is good news... also everything else is promising for you and all 2009 owners with these issue.s

As always, keep us posted!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm bringing mine in as well next Tuesday. I'll keep everyone posted with any resolutions.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any word on actual TSB numbers for both? Both AofA and my local service center will not confirm the high speed shimmy as being a "problem"
Old 09-02-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm getting ready to try and get these replaced, and being armed with the TSB would be a great help.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bimmerguy2006
Any word on actual TSB numbers for both? Both AofA and my local service center will not confirm the high speed shimmy as being a "problem"

There's no TSB for the low speed shudder as of yet other than one that says Audi recognizes the problem and is working on a solution and that it's not a safety issue.

As for the high speed vibration, I don't have a number but I was told if I get the 1000 yard stare or a refusal to recognize the issue (after road force balancing does not correct it), to call AOA directly. If an AOA tel rep is saying that they're misinformed - ask to escalate to a supervisor. I was told ALL Audi dealers have been sent the communication on this issue - it's in writing from Audi. It might not be an actual "TSB" as such but I was told the process has definitely been communicated to the dealers.

The gentleman I spoke with is several rungs higher up on the AOA food chain than the customer service people you must have talked with.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-02-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good info. I take my car back in tomorrow for the second time for them to try to fix the 65-70 mph vibration. When I made the appointment last week they said they would put a set of new tires on it to check for flat spots in the tires.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TB1000
Good info. I take my car back in tomorrow for the second time for them to try to fix the 65-70 mph vibration. When I made the appointment last week they said they would put a set of new tires on it to check for flat spots in the tires.
While that's certainly a possible cause, I doubt a flat spot on a tire would cause a side to side shimmy of the steering wheel (if that's your symptom like many others have experienced). It would likely be more of a hop than a shimmy IMO.

I would push for the lower control arms swap as evidenced by Audi's response to the issue assuming the dealer has already force balanced your wheels to no avail. The dealer will be reimbursed by Audi, albeit at a somewhat lower shop per hour labor rate, regardless. Read the article online at Edmunds re their A4. They resolved their vibration with the re-engineered arms.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-03-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I took delivery of a '10 Avant last Friday and am experiencing the 65-70 MPH vibration. Currently have about 200 miles on the car and am planning to bring it in this weekend. I've noted TSB # 2018121/3 from another thread. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct number?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibration Issues Revisitied, Updated and Confirmed by AOA