A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What's the coolest coding setting on a B8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the coolest coding setting on a B8?

As you guys know, many different features/settings can be configured (a.k.a. coded) on an A4 B8. Auto mirror tilt in reverse, hidden MMI menu, DRLs on/off or set to use LEDs, fogs, etc., comfort-close windows & sunroof via remote, disable seat belt ding, needle sweep at startup... and many more.

What's the one you can't live without? What made the most difference to you when you changed it?
Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me the coolest one (literally) is auxiliary ventilation. We don't have covered parking where I work, so my car sits out in the sun all day. It helps a lot to be able to schedule the fan to come on for several minutes before I go out to the car and blow some of that hot air out.

Second runner up for me is disabling the warnings about entering information in the MMI (like navigation) while the car is moving. Nothing like forcing me to enter MORE clicks while driving, in the interest in safety.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

i would like to be able to open & close my windows and sunroof via the remote. Also, I wish there was a way to see more engine info via the MMI screen: oil pressure, turbo boost, voltage, etc.

My car already came with the tilting passenger mirror. But is there a way to access the hidden MMI menu now, or do I have to get that coded?

Also, that auxiliary venting feature sounds awesome.

Btw, when is Carista going to release its full update with the customization feature? i understand it's in beta now.

Last edited by A4Driver; 08-29-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dscline
For me the coolest one (literally) is auxiliary ventilation. We don't have covered parking where I work, so my car sits out in the sun all day. It helps a lot to be able to schedule the fan to come on for several minutes before I go out to the car and blow some of that hot air out.

Second runner up for me is disabling the warnings about entering information in the MMI (like navigation) while the car is moving. Nothing like forcing me to enter MORE clicks while driving, in the interest in safety.
Very cool We're looking into adding the aux ventilation setting in Carista. One issue is that it needs to be enabled in multiple places, so it's not just going to be a smooth experience for the user: just set 1 setting and you're done. But we'll see, we'll try to make it reasonable. About the warnings in the MMI: looking into that one as well.
Originally Posted by A4Driver
i would like to be able to open & close my windows and sunroof via the remote. Also, I wish there was a way to see more engine info via the MMI screen: oil pressure, turbo boost, voltage, etc.

My car already came with the tilting passenger mirror. But is there a way to access the hidden MMI menu now, or do I have to get that coded?

Also, that auxiliary venting feature sounds awesome.

Btw, when is Carista going to release its full update with the customization feature? i understand it's in beta now.

That's a pretty good list
Open/close windows & sunroof via remote is already supported in Carista (in the beta, at least; I replied in another thread about how to get the beta). More engine info via the MMI is possible to do by yourself once you enable the hidden menu (which is possible with the beta in Carista).

Keep 'em coming, guys! Also, if any of you have an ELM327 bluetooth adapter and are willing to try the new features as we create them in the beta, please sign up here: Beta-Testing | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization Also, I can let you use the app for free during the beta, as long as you help with testing
The following users liked this post:
ImAudi5K (07-30-2022)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor

Ok boys and girls, who wants to test the aux ventilation settings for free? We've just made it available in the latest beta (beta-9). The settings are in the "Heater & A/C" category and are marked as experimental. There are 4 different settings, and most likely, all of them (or at least the first 3) need to be activated in order for the whole thing to work. It's safe to try them - the worst thing that could happen is that the system could throw an error code... which you can then clear with Carista after returning the settings to their original values.

What other cool settings are there? Now is the time to make "requests" for our app
Old 09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can you enable hidden menus in MMI?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Carista, here's a setting request: Can you enable your app to turn off the extra "drip" sweep that the windshield wipers make when using the windshield washers? My wipers do a good job of drying my windshield, and that extra sweep many times just ends up streaking the windshield.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by doc_oc
Can you enable hidden menus in MMI?
Yes
Originally Posted by A4Driver
Carista, here's a setting request: Can you enable your app to turn off the extra "drip" sweep that the windshield wipers make when using the windshield washers? My wipers do a good job of drying my windshield, and that extra sweep many times just ends up streaking the windshield.
Yes

(both with the current beta)

What else is cool?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New to this coding stuff, I have a 2014 A4 and am wondering how I go about doing this coding you speak of? Literally know nothing about it so need a easy run thru. I see this app is only for Android, I have Iphone so that sucks. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NawDawg
New to this coding stuff, I have a 2014 A4 and am wondering how I go about doing this coding you speak of? Literally know nothing about it so need a easy run thru. I see this app is only for Android, I have Iphone so that sucks. Any help is much appreciated!
Well that's the cool thing about Carista: you don't need to know anything about coding, or anything technical about your car, really. You're just presented with a list of settings you can change, such as "Daytime running lights: ON/OFF". And you can pick whether you want them on or off. And there's 10s of other settings available, too.

Unfortunately, no iOS version yet, but we're starting to work on one now. You can sign up for updates here: Carista for iOS (iPhone / iPad / iPod touch) | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Quick Reply: What's the coolest coding setting on a B8?