A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Whine around 65-80 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whine around 65-80 mph?

I've noticed a whine in my wife's 2011 A4 2.0T that starts around 65 mph and gets louder as you increase speed peaking around 75 mph. The noise is only with acceleration and goes away as soon as you let off the gas. The noise is pretty much non-existent at any other speed. My wife seems to think it has always done this, but I don't remember. I've been switching back and forth with my A6 so maybe I'm used to those sounds. Is this sound characteristic of this car or do I have a potential issue already?
The following users liked this post:
agbq2002 (07-24-2023)
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo whine through certain RPM range?

You're A6 won't do it if that's the case.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

It seems to be speed dependent and not rpm dependent. Running through the same rpm range that equates to 65-75 mph in 6th gear (approximately 2500 rpm) at different speeds does mo produce the same sound. I also tried downshifting to 5th at the speed range for the noise and it was still there despite the higher rpm being in 5th. Is the turbo whine speed or rpm dependent?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sure her Mother isn't in the back seat as she hits those speeds?
The following users liked this post:
alvinedyvane (09-12-2023)
Old 09-02-2010, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 1st car in my name
It seems to be speed dependent and not rpm dependent. Running through the same rpm range that equates to 65-75 mph in 6th gear (approximately 2500 rpm) at different speeds does mo produce the same sound. I also tried downshifting to 5th at the speed range for the noise and it was still there despite the higher rpm being in 5th. Is the turbo whine speed or rpm dependent?
RPM dependant. Mind you around 2500 rpm (between 1800~3500) I usually get a small pishhh from the turbo. (For those who know the sound, it's like the air just whistling by a half opened diverter valve)

Is it a hum or a pishhh?

Tire hum maybe? I'm guessing tire or bearing hum (doubt it's a bearing since it's a new car) You said it's more of a whine... i'm guessing it's more of a mechanical sound.

Going to try and post some vids...

hard to hear, better near the end... you hear a faint whislting under the sound of the exhaust. Sound like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INukKC531rE
Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's definitely not that sound. No psshh sound like yours. Just high pitched. I've got the car tomorrow so I'm going to try and listen more. My wife has said it has done this since we bought the car (I still don't think it has...) so it's either a characteristic of the car or something has been wrong from the beginning.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's the stupid sideview mirrors. Same thing happens to me- once you hit a certain speed it starts whistling or, I guess, whining. Minor design flaw.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Oh god yes! The stupid mirror whistle!

Happens in cooler dry environments (well for me anyways). For example, I have not heard it here since last winter, totally slipped my mind.

Driver side mirror for me. If I open my window and put my hand on the top of the mirror it stops. It's very very faint. Happens around 115~120 kmh. (which is about (65 75mph)
Old 09-03-2010, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was able to record the sound while driving. You can hear when the noise kicks in and goes away. It's not rpm dependent, it's only between around 65-75 mph and it is only when you are giving it gas. It's not really a whine as I initially described, but a high pitched constant sound. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfqEhlF_3iY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfqEhlF_3iY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-04-2010, 04:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 1st car in my name
I was able to record the sound while driving. You can hear when the noise kicks in and goes away. It's not rpm dependent, it's only between around 65-75 mph and it is only when you are giving it gas. It's not really a whine as I initially described, but a high pitched constant sound. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfqEhlF_3iY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfqEhlF_3iY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
That is the same sound my 2009 RAV4 makes between 45 and 50mph - only when you step on the gas. The next service for the RAV I am going to ask about it. I have seen other RAV4 owners have the same issue but only with the v6 model. I sure hope my a4 doesn't do that as well when I get it. I don't even have my a4 avant yet and I'm scared S#!+less from reading all these posts - makes me think twice that I traded in my wifes Honda Civic for it- she did cry a bit on that - oh wait that was from the price difference. :-)

Quick Reply: Whine around 65-80 mph?