A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Whine around 65-80 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1st car in my name
I was able to record the sound while driving. You can hear when the noise kicks in and goes away. It's not rpm dependent, it's only between around 65-75 mph and it is only when you are giving it gas. It's not really a whine as I initially described, but a high pitched constant sound. <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfqEhlF_3iY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfqEhlF_3iY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
That's not the side view mirror whistle...

So you say it's when you give it gas... on load only then and only at speed? Mine does not do that at all. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStuff
That's not the side view mirror whistle...

So you say it's when you give it gas... on load only then and only at speed? Mine does not do that at all. Anyone have any ideas?
Same here - mine does not do this. Maybe a faulty tire with a malformed steel belt or a faulty engine accessory belt? Have your dealer do a test ride with you and check it out!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just got a call back from the dealer and, as I suspected they might claim, they are saying they compared to another 2011 and the car is fine. They hear the noise, but are saying it might turbo whine or something. Beyond you guys telling me the noise is not normal, I got a 2010 A4 loaner and the noise is 95% non-existent (I think it's there if just the right things line up, but nowhere near the repeatability of my 2011). I called them out on that (saying that the loaner doesn't make the noise) and they said the engines changed a little bit between 08 09 10 models and the 2011. The whole car changed in 09 so in and of itself I'm not convinced with that response. Do you guys have any thoughts on what I should do about this?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I was able to record the sound while driving. ..It's not rpm dependent, it's only between around 65-75 mph and it is only when you are giving it gas.
My guess is that it is a transmission noise.
Since it depends on speed and load but not the gear it comes from somewhere after or at the output side of the gear box.

A turbo whine is load dependent, and I would expect it not to have such a direct correlation with speed.

(I would not be happy with that sound in my car.)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM
aob
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Guys! New member here.

Im curious - did you ever find a resolution to this issue? I have a 2011 6MT S4 with the *exact* same sound and it's been driving me crazy for months.

Took the service tech on a test drive, and he immediately tells me it's not normal. Later that day he calls me and of course tells me that it IS normal, and is the result of supercharger whine exiting thru the exhaust. And it's only on the 6MT, not the s-tronic. I have a hard time believing it's related to the supercharger especially since I'm not stomping on the gas, and the sound is non-existent on the s-tronic.

Plus if this is also on your A4 6MT I have to imagine it's the transmission.

Im contemplating what to do next - figured I'd check to see if you'd had managed to get a better answer.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jmbird
That is the same sound my 2009 RAV4 makes between 45 and 50mph - only when you step on the gas. The next service for the RAV I am going to ask about it. I have seen other RAV4 owners have the same issue but only with the v6 model. I sure hope my a4 doesn't do that as well when I get it. I don't even have my a4 avant yet and I'm scared S#!+less from reading all these posts - makes me think twice that I traded in my wifes Honda Civic for it- she did cry a bit on that - oh wait that was from the price difference. :-)
With a few exceptions, the 2005+ Audis are fine in the departments of dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction, safety, security and service (outside of the occasional lemon, incompetent dealer or any combination of both, which you occasionally get with all brands-no ands, butts or ifs about that).

Don't let a few disgruntled, judgmental Audi financiers, leasers and owners (especially those from North America, since that is where most of the disgruntled, judgmental Audi financiers, leasers and owners on the message boards and facebook are from) on the message boards and facebook (all of whom make up for less than 1% of vehicle financeirs, leasers and owners worldwide) make you question buying, leasing or financing your Audi, jmbird. That would be super foolish.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
With a few exceptions, the 2005+ Audis are fine in the departments of dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction, safety, security and service (outside of the occasional lemon, incompetent dealer or any combination of both, which you occasionally get with all brands-no ands, butts or ifs about that).

Don't let a few disgruntled, judgmental Audi financiers, leasers and owners (especially those from North America, since that is where most of the disgruntled, judgmental Audi financiers, leasers and owners on the message boards and facebook are from) on the message boards and facebook (all of whom make up for less than 1% of vehicle financeirs, leasers and owners worldwide) make you question buying, leasing or financing your Audi, jmbird. That would be super foolish.
When Audi doesn't acknowledge a problem and states it is normal car characteristics, it would be foolish to buy from them!! I clearly compared whining noise from my S5 to another S5; same trans, same engine, same year, same config down to the interior and mine whines at 80mph and another is dead quiet. Audi of America told me "other car doesn't whine because its in Florida and its more humid there". Yes, she really did. If anyone has any solution, please advise. I would pay to make the sound go away, unfortunately work outside of Audi voids warranty.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, I'd post in the A5/S5 forums. Also this thread is over 4 years old and the cars have changed a bit since then
Old 12-13-2014, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Whine

I've noticed a whine in my wife's 2011 A4 2.0T that starts around 65 mph and gets louder as you increase speed peaking around 75 mph. The noise is only with acceleration and goes away as soon as you let off the gas. The noise is pretty much non-existent at any other speed. My wife seems to think it has always done this, but I don't remember. I've been switching back and forth with my A6 so maybe I'm used to those sounds. Is this sound characteristic of this car or do I have a potential issue already?
it sounds like a differential noise, specially if only under load
can you have the car up on a hoist and try it?
it may not produce the sound at same frequency as the wheels will not be pulling the car.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by s4master1
it sounds like a differential noise, specially if only under load
can you have the car up on a hoist and try it?
it may not produce the sound at same frequency as the wheels will not be pulling the car.
Dealer had it up and said it did not make any noise. Then a tech attached multiple sound detecting devices to it and said it was normal. Its is the same sound as 1st car in my name member posted with the youtube video. Exact same. Tried to pm him but no luck. Someone has had to find an answer to this by now. Honestly, think audi knows of a manufacturing defect but wont recall since its all about the money. I really thought I would get this problem worked out by Audi and continued my European Delivery with the car last April but I will never do that again. And would strongly warn other potential European Delivery guys against it. I didn't think it would happen to me, but once there is a problem, you own it...Audi has the money and the problem is yours. 2014 S5...pretty to look at, but driving at 80mph for over 10min will drive anyone nuts!!

Quick Reply: Whine around 65-80 mph?