A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

White Audis can't jump

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default White Audis can't jump

Neither can black ones, red ones and midnight blue ones.

Recently I heard from a female friend that I hadn't seen in awhile, and yesterday we decided to meet at a restaurant for lunch. When I arrived, the parking lot was quite full, so I had to park about five spaces away from her.

Fast forward: We finished lunch, and got up to leave. It was now pouring rain outside. We said our goodbyes, and headed to our cars. I was just getting ready to back out of the spot when I noticed she had walked up to my car. As I lowered the window, she said to me, "My battery is dead; can you give me a jump?"

I looked at her very sheepishly, and told her I couldn't. "Why not?" she asked? I explained to her that Audi recommends against giving jumps because it could ruin the electronics in the car.

By now soaking wet, she gave me a stare that only a woman can give, and turned to pursue a couple crossing the parking lot. Luckily, they said they would give her a jump.

As I slowly drove away, the couple giving her a jump looked at me with an expression that said, "Wow, you're a real gentleman, aren't you?"

Maybe I'll start carrying a spare battery just for jumps.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
I looked at her very sheepishly, and told her I couldn't. "Why not?" she asked? I explained to her that Audi recommends against giving jumps because it could ruin the electronics in the car
Where did you read this ? First time I hear about this and I jumped the car of my neighbours a few times...
Old 08-14-2014, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is wrong with the little ladies reaching into their pocket and buying a triple A card? When did it become men's responsibility to provide free car maintenance?

I am curious, when the check came did she instantly offer to pick it up, or ignore it like most women do?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I stand corrected

I have read on various Audi forums over the years that it was not advisable to jump start cars with an Audi. But not only does it not say that in my owner's manual, it gives instructions on how to use jumper cables to start an Audi. I guess I owe my friend an apology! :-P
Old 08-14-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default She made like the check was invisible! :-P

I have known this particular friend for almost 20 years, and have gone out to dinner or lunch with her dozens of times. She has never once reached for the check, and never even offered to leave a tip.

I have dated many, many women, and in my experience it is rare that one offered to pay or help pay for a meal, even those who I know make more money than me.

I guess that's what I get for driving an Audi!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've jumped several cars with my blue Audi. Never had any issues. It's actually a pretty clean setup to do so, with the positive post by the windshield.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry a PowerAll . Still waiting for a damsel in distress.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCCurtis
I carry a PowerAll . Still waiting for a damsel in distress.
Have you tested it? I haven't seen one of those in action yet. It's a pretty cool idea though.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ports
Have you tested it? I haven't seen one of those in action yet. It's a pretty cool idea though.
Not me, but a close friend has one and successfully jumped a car. Max is 4 liters, so should work for me, particularly if it's just a weak battery situation.