A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Wierd problem Fan motor/blower. Works and dont work

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd problem Fan motor/blower. Works and dont work

Got a pain in the as problem with my car.
A Audi a4 2009 avant..

The fan motor works some day great blows good but then if i stop the car and start it later same day the fan doesnt work anymore. Its DEAD.. but when it works as it should work.

BUT if i give the glove box a hard hit with my fist, or maybe little lower down then the glove box it start blowing again. but only for some hours or so then its same thing again.

Any tips or ideas? what should i check? Hard to replace the fan motor?
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Karl22
A Audi a4 2009 avant..

The fan motor works some day great blows good but then if i stop the car and start it later same day the fan doesnt work anymore. Its DEAD.. but when it works as it should work.

BUT if i give the glove box a hard hit with my fist, or maybe little lower down then the glove box it start blowing again. but only for some hours or so then its same thing again.

I know the fan/blower motor is not the easiest thing to get to in your car but I do not have an exact labor time quote for you, I am sure someone on here can tell us exactly how long it should take. If it does turn out to be the fan motor we have them in stock for $156.24 ready to ship out.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A Audi a4 2009 avant..

Sounds like a loose connection or maybe there is a loose connection in the fuse panel for the motor blower ?

Use this link to find out how to remove the glove box to get access to the fan motor, you will need a 8mm socket drive to remove the nuts holding the glove box...

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_GBCooler.html

Then again, maybe removing the "styrofoam" cover over the cabin filter underneath the glove box is sufficient to access the plug that brings power to the fan motor. Look at the picture of the fan motor on the link I provided... The "styrofoam" cover can be removed by unscrewing the two plastic screws with your fingers and then pulling on it.

Last edited by Turbo Freak; 01-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had this exact problem, and sometimes it wouldn't work then suddenly start up 5 mins after starting the car. The fan motor and motor controller were replaced under warranty, and hasn't happened since. If you search the various forums, this is a not too uncommon issue on these.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
Sounds like a loose connection or maybe there is a loose connection in the fuse panel for the motor blower ?

Use this link to find out how to remove the glove box to get access to the fan motor, you will need a 8mm socket drive to remove the nuts holding the glove box...

http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_GBCooler.html

Then again, maybe removing the "styrofoam" cover over the cabin filter underneath the glove box is sufficient to access the plug that brings power to the fan motor. Look at the picture of the fan motor on the link I provided... The "styrofoam" cover can be removed by unscrewing the two plastic screws with your fingers and then pulling on it.
Was thinking about a loose connection to but feels like it is hard to find but i Will give it a try today! Thanks for the link. But where exactly is the styrofoam? Maybe om just tired but didnt see it om the pic's
Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Was thinking about a loose connection to but feels like it is hard to find but i Will give it a try today! Thanks for the link. But where exactly is the styrofoam? Maybe om just tired but didnt see it om the pic's
Have put it all down located the fan motor and its cables. Have clean everything up and the fan havent stopped yet.
Hard to start see were the loose end is when its all working as it should..
Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Intermittent problems are the worst to find, if everything is snapped into place, the problem might be the fan controller like dscline is suggesting...

Good luck !
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you ever figure this out? I think I have the same issue with my 2009 a4 avant
Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi I'm now having this issue with my 09 plate 2.0 TDI S-Line. It's been happening for around two weeks. On a cold start first thing in the morning it's spot on works fine but every time after that during the day it takes 10-20 mins to start blowing. Did anyone ever get to the very bottom of it and are these parts easy to replace myself?
Regards
Gary
Old 01-29-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok so this morning I stripped out the glove box and foam part. Very simple 5 bolts and 2 plastic twist out screws. There seems to be plenty acces once it's out so I unplugged and reseated every plug I could but still the same troubles. I am going to order a heater blower motor and a resistor and try replacing them. If anyone has any tips on changing these once the glove box is out they would be very welcome. Il keep this thread updated I'm sure there's many more with this problem.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Wierd problem Fan motor/blower. Works and dont work