A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Wierd problem Fan motor/blower. Works and dont work

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I replaced the fan blower motor last Monday and all has been well since
The following users liked this post:
Malik Baptiste (12-23-2019)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I would open the cowl & give the fan a spin & it would work. So I was doing other stuff to the car and pulled out the blower motor. The bearing was rusty & beat up. I cleaned it and put it back together. It's working OK now. It still sticks once in a while though.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recently I've noticed the same problem on my A4 b8 2.0tdi 2008. Few days ago I started my car and after 2-3 minutes of driving noticed that fan blower is not working. I stopped the car immediately and turn ignition off and back on again but fan was off. After second time turning ignition off and on fan start working. Today was the same situation, blower started after second time turning engine off/on. Didnt try to read errors with VCDS since my laptop is out of function. What do you suggesting?
Old 12-23-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro - b8

Originally Posted by Karl22
Got a pain in the as problem with my car.
A Audi a4 2009 avant..

The fan motor works some day great blows good but then if i stop the car and start it later same day the fan doesnt work anymore. Its DEAD.. but when it works as it should work.

BUT if i give the glove box a hard hit with my fist, or maybe little lower down then the glove box it start blowing again. but only for some hours or so then its same thing again.

Any tips or ideas? what should i check? Hard to replace the fan motor?

So I bought my 2012 Audi A4 with 125km a few months. The A/C was cutting out intermittently. At first it would cut off randomly while driving, it was summer so I didn't really care, but when winter started I figured I better get it fixed. So I called my local Audi and over they hone they told me it would be $500 plus! So i was like, nope I;ll figure it out myself.

So talking to my mechanic at work he said he had just dealt with a similar issue on a 2011 A4 and it turned out the intake was full of leaves. I checked mine and turns out it was also full of leaves. i pulled them out and I thought i fixed the issue for about 1 week i have zero issues with my heat working; then it started cutting out again. So basically I was able to figure out that the Blower Motor would cut off and turn back on whenever i went over a bump at high speeds or took a very sharp turn. So i figured it was just a loose connection or a corroded fly wheel in the blower motor.

I did some digging and it looks like these Blower Motors somehow get wet and the bearing/fly wheel thingy rusts out. It's apparently a pretty common issue, and Audi charges out the bootyhole to get it fixed, even though it should really be getting recalled.

So today I'm going to take my Blower Motor out and try to clean off the rust/check for debris/check for loose connections, and if that doesn't work I'm going to try replacing the resistor; and if that doesn't work I'm going to buy an aftermarket Blower Motor.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The following users liked this post:
Kobi Rad (04-26-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default blower motor

i have just dealt with this issue on my b8
Old 01-22-2020, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Malik Baptiste
So I bought my 2012 Audi A4 with 125km a few months. The A/C was cutting out intermittently. At first it would cut off randomly while driving, it was summer so I didn't really care, but when winter started I figured I better get it fixed. So I called my local Audi and over they hone they told me it would be $500 plus! So i was like, nope I;ll figure it out myself.

So talking to my mechanic at work he said he had just dealt with a similar issue on a 2011 A4 and it turned out the intake was full of leaves. I checked mine and turns out it was also full of leaves. i pulled them out and I thought i fixed the issue for about 1 week i have zero issues with my heat working; then it started cutting out again. So basically I was able to figure out that the Blower Motor would cut off and turn back on whenever i went over a bump at high speeds or took a very sharp turn. So i figured it was just a loose connection or a corroded fly wheel in the blower motor.

I did some digging and it looks like these Blower Motors somehow get wet and the bearing/fly wheel thingy rusts out. It's apparently a pretty common issue, and Audi charges out the bootyhole to get it fixed, even though it should really be getting recalled.

So today I'm going to take my Blower Motor out and try to clean off the rust/check for debris/check for loose connections, and if that doesn't work I'm going to try replacing the resistor; and if that doesn't work I'm going to buy an aftermarket Blower Motor.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Did you figure this out??

Exactly the same issue with my Q5

Regards
Jon
Old 01-25-2020, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Had the issue with mine, it was the blower motor, not bad to change just an expensive part