A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Worth it to buy this A4?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth it to buy this A4?

Hello friends,
So I am finally getting my first car ever at the age of 19 and I have my heart set on an A4. I found this 2009 A4 2.0 Premium Plus for $13,000. Looking at the CarFax and it looks good. The car has never had anything wrong with it. At all. There's one thing that is keeping me from buying it though.. It has 91,700 miles on it. May I please get your opinions A4 owners?
Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here's the link to the actual car..

http://mobile.dealercarsearch.com/VehicleDetail.aspx?InventoryId=5007084&Guid=148e67 e1-c93a-41ea-9f5e-66d6a92c57b6

What am I in for if I do purchase the car? Thanks a bunch in advance you guys!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarsVapeAndDisney
Here's the link to the actual car..

http://mobile.dealercarsearch.com/Ve...e-66d6a92c57b6

What am I in for if I do purchase the car? Thanks a bunch in advance you guys!
In the end, it will be a crap-shoot. You may get lucky; you may not. If you don't have a good chunk of money set aside for potential repairs, it could be an unhappy experience. You can be confident that the car will NOT be Toyota-reliable.

The seller has taken care to detail the car - however, the driver's seat appears to be very worn.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I helped my son get a 2013 Honda Civic Si with Nav which puts it fully loaded. MSRP was 24+ if 2015, it has 8k miles on it. He has 2 years left on warranty and the CPO gives him another 24 months!
Its 6mt and all in all very looks brand new.

My Point? No, its not an Audi A4 and we had discussed premium german cars as well but he really did not want any part of the cost of to maintain it. Stuff breaks on older cars and on the premium teutonic goodness it does as well.

We paid $18,200 for this car. Its silver and he'll keep it stock. he got the All season tires as well I think they 18's. Its a fun car to drive. We discussed to not buy a car on Technical specs but actually go and drive them. Also consideration into long term ownership and running costs. Modding is fun but expensive.

IN the end I was happy with his choice. He is 23 just out of college starting his own business. Coming from his 12 year old Outback he had since he turned 16 (2.5 4cyl, awd and 5spd manual) he is very satisfied. Great MPG, sun roof, decent stereo, and sunroof! The faux carbon dash is ok and boy racer Vtec lights are funny as hell.
Solid black interior with Silver paint. No graphics or glow LEDs. He might debadge the Si. Low key.

As one who has both an audi and a BMW I love these cars but deal with the running costs in my own way. Since Id on't know you or your funding I would always suggest you not marry yourself to a car. Educate,Travel, enjoy your youth and don't encase yourself with material commitments! And stay out of Debt as much as you can!!!!!! Life gets harder and how your start your economic life matters. Sorry to be a buzz kill on the car.

CVT front wheel driver is not all that much fun. Fund somthing with lower miles in that price range.

Last edited by Nalod; 02-25-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
I helped my son get a 2013 Honda Civic Si with Nav which puts it fully loaded. MSRP was 24+ if 2015, it has 8k miles on it. He has 2 years left on warranty and the CPO gives him another 24 months!

My Point? No, its not an Audi A4 and we had discussed premium german cars as well but he really did not want any part of the cost of to maintain it. Stuff breaks on older cars and on the premium teutonic goodness it does as well.

We paid $18,200 for this car. Its silver and he'll keep it stock. he got the All season tires as well I think they 18's. Its a fun car to drive. We discussed to not buy a car on Technical specs but actually go and drive them. Also consideration into long term ownership and running costs. Modding is fun but expensive.

IN the end I was happy with his choice. He is 23 just out of college starting his own business. Coming from his 12 year old Outback he had since he turned 16 (2.5 4cyl, awd and 5spd manual) he is very satisfied. Great MPG, sun roof, decent stereo, and sunroof! The faux carbon dash is ok and boy racer Vtec lights are funny as hell.
Solid black interior with Silver paint. No graphics or glow LEDs. He might debadge the Si. Low key.

As one who has both an audi and a BMW I love these cars but deal with the running costs in my own way. Since Id on't know you or your funding I would always suggest you not marry yourself to a car. Educate,Travel, enjoy your youth and don't encase yourself with material commitments! And stay out of Debt as much as you can!!!!!! Life gets harder and how your start your economic life matters. Sorry to be a buzz kill on the car.

CVT front wheel driver is not all that much fun. Fund somthing with lower miles in that price range.
That's good advice. Unless the OP has bags of money to spend on potential repairs, the purchase of a 6 year old Audi with 100k on it could really sour him on the brand. Better that he waits until he can truly afford it. He's young -there's plenty of time. In the meantime, a car such as you suggest would serve him well.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UGH - that steering wheel is 50% glossed and 50% peeling. Makes my skin crawl to think of having to touch that. Also looks like they Armor-Alled the living daylights out of that poor car.... looks super greasy on all the plastics.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away. I own a 2010 PP 90K miles. In last 2 years I have spent about $3K. First was steering hose $750, then catalytic converter (this one is covered under federal warranty), turbo failure $1500 and recent bad wheel bearings $750.

I bought at 60K miles and thought maybe I will be lucky...well nuff said.

Stay away kid...get a Civic or something.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you for the wisdom!

Originally Posted by Nalod

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice! Funny that you say Honda because that was my first choice! You can never go wrong with a Honda. Luckily, I am blessed with an amazing job and can afford an Audi. I don't know why I took this specific Audi into consideration. The price was appealing but you get what you pay for right? I'm gonna post a new thread of cars that I have found, I would appreciate your help. If I don't find an Audi then that's fine with me. What is meant to be will be. Once again, thank you! Cheers!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
That's good advice. Unless the OP has bags of money to spend on potential repairs, the purchase of a 6 year old Audi with 100k on it could really sour him on the brand. Better that he waits until he can truly afford it. He's young -there's plenty of time. In the meantime, a car such as you suggest would serve him well.
The guy up there is right! This car shouldn't even be taken into consideration. I wouldn't even mind a Honda.. I mean, have you seen those Honda Accord Sport? The exterior is actually pretty impressive! Thanks for the advice you guys!
Old 02-26-2015, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fittan
I would stay away. I own a 2010 PP 90K miles. In last 2 years I have spent about $3K. First was steering hose $750, then catalytic converter (this one is covered under federal warranty), turbo failure $1500 and recent bad wheel bearings $750.

I bought at 60K miles and thought maybe I will be lucky...well nuff said.

Stay away kid...get a Civic or something.
Just curious, were those repair costs at the dealership, DIY or an indy mechanic?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Worth it to buy this A4?