A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 S-line review

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 A4 S-line review

Got a chance to drive a new A4 a couple days while my 2012 A6 got serviced and thought I'd share my initial thoughts. I had a 2012 A4 before the A6.

Exterior:

The only positive I noted was the dual exhaust. Every other design feature is either neutral or a step backwards. I'm generally ok with Audi's conservative styling evolutions bit the A4 is starting to look like a Passat and losing any excitement. The headlight designs have gone down hill since 2012. The blinker effect is gimmicky and "ricer." The s-line package is particularly bland compared to prior years. I prefer first gen B8 design cues.

Interior:

The digital guages and display options are great, especially the large map. However, the screen returned to default display after restarting the car, hopefully it is possible to adjust that. Also, the left side glove box storage is really great I wish more cars used that space. The AC controls are better. The adjustable lumbar support is more aggressive which is nice.

Other than that a lot of things have gotten worse. #1 among them is the GOD AWFUL square electronic shifter. I swore I'd never buy another BMW until they dropped that gimmick and now Audi has gone that way! . It is not intuitive and the white highlighted gear indicator gets bleached out in bright sunlight making it hard to know what hear youre in. Constantly looking to make sure it's in gear. At least the doors unlock when you put it in Park so you have an audio indicator that it actually engaged. How do you put it in neutral when you're battery dies and you need a tow? Take apart the dash like BMW?? Horrible decision and might be a deal breaker for me in a future purchase. Hopefully the A6 does NOT adopt this.

The non-retracting GPS screen...need I say it? I was never a fan of any of these screen concepts retractable or not. Either make it retractable or make it integrated in the dash. Horrible design.

The dash trim is too much. The aluminum reflects sunlight in your eyes. Trim is trim, by design it should be used sparingly. The wood option will look gaudy with that much trim...

The center console doesn't close all the way! WTF is that about?

Driving;
Power boost is nice and the tranny as smooth as the last 8-speed A4 I had. I didn't get to test the "ultra" Quattro but I'll just say I am not a fan of the whole concept. I'd prefer full time AWD.

Overall not impressed and I think Audi is making bad decisions across the board.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok😮.. Thanks?
Enjoy the A6 then.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sl81
Ok😮.. Thanks?
Enjoy the A6 then.
Hey I'm just being honest.

I'm an Audi fan boy...I'm not trolling.

I'm just hugely disappointed and for the first time in years I'm not sure what my next car will be..
Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow! I think I have read every review out on this car...from the so called experts to the actual users. Never read a worse impression of this car. One other person did say the exterior was boring. Each to his own, I guess.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think Audi has gone to luxury ride route than something sporty and driver focus. The speed increase is nice, but the weight balance and other driver focus factor just isn't in it to make it a driver's car. It's a good daily commute and some fun drive still though. I am really hoping that they can pull out a true Quattro platform without having FWD into the design equation. This is the biggest problem of them all.

The new Audi S4 just disappointment to see. I don't care if it has more power, it's not faster. Dropping the DCT and replacing one of the best engine they made with something that isn't any better is a big problem. Doesn't matter if it save couple more fuel, which no one cares about if they are getting a S than A. The Ultra Quattro is another example they want to sell their car like Acura to Honda, except now its Audi to VW.

Same as BMW 3 series with latest platform that has gone for commute focus than driver focus, but still horrible at interior. Somehow only Mercedes realize the improvement needs to be in both and balance.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your honest input but I have to respectfully disagree. I love the change of the twin exhaust, I love the LED headlights, I like the redesign interior. There are a few things I wish was different such as a retractable screen like the A6 and A3, don't know why they went that route. I think the standard 18" wheels are ugly. The bump in HP and the overall exterior of the car looks great. I wish we could have a little bit more customization when ordering the car. I would love to have S-line seats. I'm not a fan of the shifter, going to take awhile to get used to.

I'm coming from a 2012 A4 and its a huge step up from what I have. I am considering waiting for the 2018 and see if there are any major differences or better options but for the most part I think this will be the overall design for Audi A4 for a few years.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

With this new console shifter, paddle shifters are a must to offset this POS shifter.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

The A4 still has normal quattro. It does not have Ultra.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sl81
Ok😮.. Thanks?
Enjoy the A6 then.
+1
I do agree with the OP though about the sun washing out the gear indicator next to the shifter - but - all you have to do is look at gauge display in front of you. On the VCP it's inside the tach display & on the analog display it's right at the bottom of the DIC. Those are visible in all lights.

Last edited by Cadx6; 06-21-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I

Last edited by mp906; 06-21-2016 at 05:36 AM.