A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiGal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels

I leased a 2017 Audi A4 (my 4th A4) on 12/9/16. On 12/10/16, I noticed a strange noise in the front wheels at low speed when I'm slightly braking. I had the sales guy drive with me that afternoon and for sure there's a strange noise coming from the front wheels (sounded like something was grinding). On 12/12/16, I took it to service and had the shop foreman drive it with me and he also heard the noise. I left it with Audi Service and I haven't got it back. As it turned out, there's a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) issued for the brake pads in the front wheels. The adhesives around the edge of the pads seems to have been missing thus causing the pads to shift slightly at low speed and while brake is being applied. On 12/14/16 - Service ordered the parts from Germany and as of today, Audi Germany has no parts available.

I don't think it's an isolated case so if you're experiencing a similar situation, have the Audi Service technician look up the TSB that was issued. As of this Friday, my brand new Audi A4 would have been in service for a month....a month of paying for the lease plus one month of SiriusXM and Audi Connect already expended. I am working with the sales person for a reimbursement of one month payment!

I think I'll take my car back the end of this week so I can at least enjoy my car while waiting for the parts to arrive (could be months). It is safe to drive it according to the shop foreman!!

Please share....
Old 01-03-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Honest question: if it was safe to drive and there were no parts available why on earth would you leave it with them for an entire month? You could have completely avoided the situation of trying to get a months' worth of money out of them.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiGal1

Great question and I appreciate your candor. If communications from the Audi dealer service and/or parts were clearer in terms of availability, or lack thereof on the parts AND that it was safe to drive 3 weeks ago, then yes, I would have just taken the car then. But since no one communicated with me and I had to continuously call THEM for status updates (not to mention being away for 10 days during the holidays), it wasn't until today that I got some answers from the parts department - not even the service department that parts weren't available yet. They gave me the impression that the parts would arrive the week of 12/27 while I was away and that by leaving the car there - they could just replace the parts and by the time I got back, I could pick my car up. It's all just a complete cluster and no clear communications or expectations from Audi. Very disappointing!!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Did the dealer tell you about which batch of cars are affected (or is it all A4s or just some random cars?). Mine doesn't have a problem as of now (except for the keyless entry acting weird at times).
Also, do let us know how the reimbursement issue works out. They should definitely pay for a months lease and also give you complimentary/extended Audi connect/Sirius connection. Don't let the dealer off too easy.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 PM
AudiGal1

Hi VipinLJ - No, the dealer did not know what batch of cars are affected but I was the 1st one to bring this to their attention. I will keep you posted on the reimbursement and any other additional extensions from all this craziness. Don't worry, I will not let the dealer off too easy!

I was SOOOO excited to get the new A4. My loaner is a 2017 A4 with no features and no issues with the brake pads. I suspect it might have been an earlier batch. I hope my A4 will still have the new smell in it when I get it back...

Stay Tuned....
Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Did the dealer tell you about which batch of cars are affected (or is it all A4s or just some random cars?). Mine doesn't have a problem as of now (except for the keyless entry acting weird at times).
Also, do let us know how the reimbursement issue works out. They should definitely pay for a months lease and also give you complimentary/extended Audi connect/Sirius connection. Don't let the dealer off too easy.
I'm wondering the same thing about which batch... Who know maybe this is the issue Audi has been holding cars for at the ports for the past few weeks. Mine was supposed to arrive a couple of weeks ago but has been in Houston with a stop sell and I haven't been able to get any additional details from the dealer yet. Talked with him today and he said they hope to hear by this Thursday. Things aren't adding up adding up at the moment.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting this thread came up. My brakes made a noticeable screeching noise for the first day coming to a stop, then gradually subsided over time to almost non-existent today after 850 miles. I just figured that the cold weather might be contributing plus the break-in period was to take its course.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure where I read this exactly, and it might be on a state-by-state basis, but I believe if your car is out of service for a total of 30 days (doesn't need to be consecutive) period in a 12 month cycle it qualifies as a lemon and you can have it traded out for a new vehicle.

In other news... I made a complaint to multiple managers at my dealership that I was never given the pin code to access my MMI account on the vehicle, and I'm still waiting on that one 4 months later. All of my trial periods have expired without me being able to use them. I brought the issue up with Audi of America but still haven't heard a response yet. I think if it goes any further I might need to find an attorney.

Georgia Lemon Laws - Lemon Law Attorneys | DMV.org
Old 01-04-2017, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
I'm not sure where I read this exactly, and it might be on a state-by-state basis, but I believe if your car is out of service for a total of 30 days (doesn't need to be consecutive) period in a 12 month cycle it qualifies as a lemon and you can have it traded out for a new vehicle.
Yes, the rules vary by state. It looks like she's from California, so here's a link to the California statute:

California Lemon Law - Learn About It
Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

SouthernCAGal - Don't worry. You'll love your A4. It is a lovely car. And if the new car smell does go, there are branded stuff available online which can help with bringing back the new car smell

AudiD - Quite a few cars have been held up at port. I believe it could be due to a transmission issue? There is a thread in this forum. Do check it out.

corradoMR2 - My A4 didn't have squeaky brake pads. But my A6 did. It squeaked almost every time, especially in the cold or during the first few miles. But sometimes, it happened after it had warmed up too. I just lived with it. Luckily my A7 doesn't seem to have that problem.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels