A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiGal1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that some of the A4 have been held at port due to the whole transmission issue...
Thank you KevinB656 for the CA Lemon Law. I don't think I'll have to exercise it.

VipinLJ...I know I'll love my A4 - I've loved ALL my A4s and was particularly excited about this one with the virtual cockpit and new MMI features. LOL about the branded stuff that actually mimics the smell of a new car.

My previous A4 brakes started squeaking a bit at 32K miles. Not super loud just a very faint squeal before the car came to a complete stop.

I'm going to pick my car up tomorrow. Audi can call me when they get the parts in. Will post some photos!

Thanks for all the responses. Cheers!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting. I've had my A4 for 2 1/2 months and first thing in the morning, when coming down the driveway, the front breaks squeal badly. Once in a while they squeal again at the next stop, but thereafter no braking noise.

I had originally attributed the squealing to one of two things: (1) break in for the pads/rotors; and/or (2) cold weather. Now I'm not so sure.

I've got just over 2000 miles on the car and I've changed dozens of brake pads in my other cars and never had this issue; especially with a brand new car. I may bring this up with the service manager to see if this first-thing-in-the morning squeal is related to the TSB.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiGal1

Originally Posted by WetinOregon
This is interesting. I've had my A4 for 2 1/2 months and first thing in the morning, when coming down the driveway, the front breaks squeal badly. Once in a while they squeal again at the next stop, but thereafter no braking noise.

I had originally attributed the squealing to one of two things: (1) break in for the pads/rotors; and/or (2) cold weather. Now I'm not so sure.

I've got just over 2000 miles on the car and I've changed dozens of brake pads in my other cars and never had this issue; especially with a brand new car. I may bring this up with the service manager to see if this first-thing-in-the morning squeal is related to the TSB.
My issues wasn't so much of a squeal in the brakes, but more of a knocking noise that sounds like a small pebble being gently shaken in a cup type of noise. It's very slight but definitely there at low speed just prior to a complete stop.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, thanks SoCaGal.

But, if there is an adhesive layer on the back of the pads that allow them to seat in the calipers, and those pads are missing, the play in the pads could cause shifting - even slight shifting of the pads within the calipers.

Since I'm under warranty and because there is a TSP out, I may as well check in with the service dept. The worst he can say is nope, these issues are totally unrelated.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiGal1

Originally Posted by WetinOregon
Ah, thanks SoCaGal.

But, if there is an adhesive layer on the back of the pads that allow them to seat in the calipers, and those pads are missing, the play in the pads could cause shifting - even slight shifting of the pads within the calipers.

Since I'm under warranty and because there is a TSP out, I may as well check in with the service dept. The worst he can say is nope, these issues are totally unrelated.
That's EXACTLY the issue with my A4. The shifting of the pads (missing the adhesive) is making that noise. My frustration with Audi is that if you have acknowledged the problem by issuing the TSB - why wouldn't you have the parts readily available? If I can get the TSB number, I will post it.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too did not receive the key code for MMI sign on when I bought my A4. The dealer emailed me a key code but it didn't work. that dealer is 100 miles away...went to local dealer and they couldn't get MMI working either.Then kept car 1 week and had Audi to come in to fix the issue. I bought the car beginning Oct and it wasn't till mid Dec. before it was working. They did extend my subscription for the full 6 months.However I still don't know the key code...not good.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm...I get a sound from the front as well. Usually happens when first moving the car after an extended period. Its not so much of a rattle as it is a pop (multiple). Kinda sounds like a spring popping back into place. Happens only when first moving the car from parked when applying the brakes slightly. Maybe 3-4 rapid knocks, very audible. Anyone else? Is this what you felt for this TSB?
Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
Hmmm...I get a sound from the front as well. Usually happens when first moving the car after an extended period. Its not so much of a rattle as it is a pop (multiple). Kinda sounds like a spring popping back into place. Happens only when first moving the car from parked when applying the brakes slightly. Maybe 3-4 rapid knocks, very audible. Anyone else? Is this what you felt for this TSB?
Are you sure this isn't the ABS adjustment that has been discussed a few times? If it consistently happens at around 25 mph after the car has sat for a while, that is probably it.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Are you sure this isn't the ABS adjustment that has been discussed a few times? If it consistently happens at around 25 mph after the car has sat for a while, that is probably it.

Positive. I know the ABS click. My pop happens at like 1-2mph, as in reversing or creeping forward after having sat for a while like overnight perhaps. Feels like something is settling in and popping back into place when braking as it shuffles itself back into place with the force of braking/momentum. Could this be the brakes? I don't remember this when I bought the car in October but then again it was very warm in October and now we're at 55-65F in LA.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:59 PM
AudiGal1

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
Hmmm...I don't think that's the same noise I was experiencing. Mine is when I'm slowing down to 5-10 mph and coming to a stop while applying the brakes. It's more of a dull knocking sound and you can feel it a bit on with the brakes. Looks like you're in LA. My noise was happening when it was still in the 60-70's a few weeks back.

Quick Reply: 2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels