A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels

Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Car was parked for over 24hrs straight in the freezing cold. No sound whatsoever on initial start up and moving off.
​​​​​​Great to hear this - I dont have my car yet (sales hold in Houston) but I'm in Minnesota and am a bit worried about the persistent sub-sub temps and how they might affect the car.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiD
​​​​​​Great to hear this - I dont have my car yet (sales hold in Houston) but I'm in Minnesota and am a bit worried about the persistent sub-sub temps and how they might affect the car.
Of topic but how long has your car been on hold in Houston, mine just arrived so only a few days.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris Engel
Of topic but how long has your car been on hold in Houston, mine just arrived so only a few days.
I believe it will be 3 weeks tomorrow. The frustrating part isn't so much the wait as it is the lack of ANY details as to why it's sitting there and when I can realistically expect to see it. If I hadn't spec'd out my dream car I would have moved on long ago. Hopefully something will change soon at Audi for both of us and everyone else who is waiting.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

My A4 doesn't make a popping sound when first starting, but my previous Volkswagen did make a noise sometimes -- it was the pads breaking loose of the rotors when I set the parking brake and brakes got wet from either humidity or rain.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike60564
My A4 doesn't make a popping sound when first starting, but my previous Volkswagen did make a noise sometimes -- it was the pads breaking loose of the rotors when I set the parking brake and brakes got wet from either humidity or rain.

Thanks, I did more research per your explanation and it seems to be considered "normal". Has to do with the brake pad floating in the caliper and expanding under heat and contracting. There appears to be wiggle room in there for this exact condition, which can lead to this popping back into place. I'm gonna wait for my service or another issue before I bring it up to the dealer.

OP: Sorry for the slight thread jack
Old 01-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was in for a service for different issue and service called back letting me know the pads need to be replaced as per TSB. They had to wait for the parts and its now in to replaced the pads. I have the popping sounds on stopping and accelerating.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Peter Delgado
Thanks, I did more research per your explanation and it seems to be considered "normal". Has to do with the brake pad floating in the caliper and expanding under heat and contracting. There appears to be wiggle room in there for this exact condition, which can lead to this popping back into place. I'm gonna wait for my service or another issue before I bring it up to the dealer.

OP: Sorry for the slight thread jack
Yup. I heard that sound once yesterday after my car was parked for over 72 hrs without being taken out. It was as in the video.
Anyway. I called my local dealer today and they said it is normal to hear those popping noises and that he doesn't have a tsb yet. He asked me to bring in the car but I think I'll take it up when I go there for a service or something since it doesn't bother me and the brakes work fine.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealer is still waiting for parts for TSB, parts on back order since late December...

Anyone else had this TSB applied and fixed?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WetinOregon
This is interesting. I've had my A4 for 2 1/2 months and first thing in the morning, when coming down the driveway, the front breaks squeal badly. Once in a while they squeal again at the next stop, but thereafter no braking noise.

I had originally attributed the squealing to one of two things: (1) break in for the pads/rotors; and/or (2) cold weather. Now I'm not so sure.

I've got just over 2000 miles on the car and I've changed dozens of brake pads in my other cars and never had this issue; especially with a brand new car. I may bring this up with the service manager to see if this first-thing-in-the morning squeal is related to the TSB.
Exact same issues here. Noise/clunking from pads/calipers and occasional squeaking. Will add to laundry list of issues I'm taking it in for next week (flickering MMI, rear window squeak issue, etc.).

Shame. My 13 year old civic had less issues.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like they released the parts, finally . My Toronto dealer just performed this TSB and changed the pads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Audi A4 TSB Issued - Noise in the front wheels