A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A4 long dash vent, what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiDriver007
can you please explain what that means? what is a diffused air? Cant find it on google
An air diffuser or membrane diffuser is an aeration device typically in the shape of a disc, tube or plate, which is used to transfer air and with that oxygen into sewage or industrial wastewater. Oxygen is required by microorganisms/bacteria residents in the water to break down the pollutants. Diffusers use either rubber membranes or ceramic elements typically and produce either fine or coarse bubbles.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Here are the words from Audi "ventilation through an air diffuser vent that
helps recreate natural airflow."
Old 08-23-2016, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can sometimes feel a slight movement of air towards the edges... But it's so close to the actual vents either side that it's difficult to tell.

Surely the fact that there's an open/close control means something is happening right?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeAllenPro
I can sometimes feel a slight movement of air towards the edges... But it's so close to the actual vents either side that it's difficult to tell.

Surely the fact that there's an open/close control means something is happening right?
May be a funny question but is it pushing or pulling air?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible
May be a funny question but is it pushing or pulling air?
It is pushing. This is a weird analogy but imagine you are blowing air into a Tshirt or some other fabric, you are blowing at a high speed but what comes out the other side is equally dispersed diffused air that is essentially dampened and evenly spread out; hence why you cant feel it in the vent.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by StKnowhere
You can't fell anything because nothing is coming out. Close all the vents and turn the fan on full blast, still nothing. The closed vents are whistling like crazy.

The emperor has no clothes

If you take a flashlight and look in those vents, they butt up against the media player so they might function as a cooling vent for the dvd, media player, radio, etc.

In the process I also noticed there is a small **** in the glove box that lets you control a little airflow into that compartment.
Kinda what I thought, more a design feature, nothing comes out at all. But I did not check the glove box for that know; good to know.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

I assure you, it is pushing out air. You won't feel it coming our directly head on from the vent. To think of it another way, it is putting out 85% less air than the vents on either side of it. It is a diffused air vent to recreate natural airflow.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your test surprised me, I thought the vent was an idea that never really got implemented.

Out of curiosity, if you shut off the vent via the dash button does the air flow stop? Assuming that you still have the bag...
Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

There is no shutoff for that vent as far as I can tell. It is just a light wisper of air.

Has anyone else noticed round **** in the glovebox with a snowflake on it?
You shut it off via the HVAC control panel. It is in the sync menu.

The glove box can be air conditioned if the **** is opened. It allows airflow into the glove box.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There is no shutoff for that vent as far as I can tell. It is just a light wisper of air.

Has anyone else noticed round **** in the glovebox with a snowflake on it?
The second switch from the right with sync etc. has a setting for open/close. That is supposed to control that vent.

Quick Reply: A4 long dash vent, what the heck?