A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 A4 vs S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B9 A4 vs S4

Hi here,

I'm debating between the new A4 vs the new S4/SQ5 whether or not its worth the $10k CAD difference. I'm comparing the Progressiv trim only as I don't need the Tecknik goodies.

I've already test driven the A4 S-line twice and really like it for what it is. Sporty, very quiet, suspension pretty well sorted out, quick transmission shifts (though the off the line acceleration lag is a severe put off). Power seems adequate with all that low end torque, mainly what I'm looking for, don't really need max power at top end.

So for the A4, I packaged it with LED lights, S-Line trim (19" rims, S-line Aero kit, sport suspension, sport seats) and Comfort seat (adds ventilation) comes out to $51k in the configurator.

S4 Progressiv with Sports Diff and Dynamic Steering comes out to $61400.

So the question is, V6, massage seats, downgraded 18" wheels, sports differential, ZF 8 speed (I think I trust this more than the S-Tronic) and dynamic steering worth $10k more? I believe the A4 would be easier to get discounts vs the S4, but the S4 maintains its value very well on the used car market.

The Mexican SQ5 is also another intriguing option with Sports Differential and figures would be in the same price bracket as the S4.

One thing I'm concerned with is the non-B&O sound system. Is that really bad?

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by White Comet
Hi here,

I'm debating between the new A4 vs the new S4/SQ5 whether or not its worth the $10k CAD difference. I'm comparing the Progressiv trim only as I don't need the Tecknik goodies.

I've already test driven the A4 S-line twice and really like it for what it is. Sporty, very quiet, suspension pretty well sorted out, quick transmission shifts (though the off the line acceleration lag is a severe put off). Power seems adequate with all that low end torque, mainly what I'm looking for, don't really need max power at top end.

So for the A4, I packaged it with LED lights, S-Line trim (19" rims, S-line Aero kit, sport suspension, sport seats) and Comfort seat (adds ventilation) comes out to $51k in the configurator.

S4 Progressiv with Sports Diff and Dynamic Steering comes out to $61400.

So the question is, V6, massage seats, downgraded 18" wheels, sports differential, ZF 8 speed (I think I trust this more than the S-Tronic) and dynamic steering worth $10k more? I believe the A4 would be easier to get discounts vs the S4, but the S4 maintains its value very well on the used car market.

The Mexican SQ5 is also another intriguing option with Sports Differential and figures would be in the same price bracket as the S4.

One thing I'm concerned with is the non-B&O sound system. Is that really bad?

Thoughts?
Here is my take on your dilemma. The additional performance factor and exclusivity of an S4 is worth $10k more to me. The reason why (here in Canada) S4's hold their value quite well is because they sell fewer of those cars and most of those who buy them are motoring enthusiasts. I say 'most' because some people will buy it just because they can afford it and it is a higher model that the A4.

Take my decision for owning an S5 as an example. I decided to consider the S5 over the A5 and SQ5 because:
1. I am coming from a 2011 VW GTI that had the same engine as the A5. If I am going to spend money on another car, I would like something with more performance and a different much sportier driving experience. Also, since I have more financial freedom than before, fueling up a 3.0L V6 supercharged engine is no longer that much of a concern to me than before.

2. I would like to drive a more exclusive vehicle especially if I am moving up to a luxury brand like Audi. I don't want to drive another vehicle that I see a lot on the road like an A4 or Q5 or A5 or A3.

3. I have thought of the SQ5 since it is a few thousand dollars less than the S5. However, I remembered my youth and the days I spent washing my father's family van. Reaching the roof was a chore because it was high. I had to stand on the stool just so I can wash the roof. I stand 6-feet-2-inches tall. I'll probably still do the same for the SQ5. Now, if Audi made the RS Q3 available in Canada a year ago, I would have definitely gone for that model. I digress. While the SQ5 offers lots of practical space for hauling stuff (I have no kids), I simply find it too big for my day to day needs. I definitely do not want to drive this kind and size of SUV around downtown Vancouver and its narrow side streets and tight parking spaces.

Sound quality is very subjective. I have read about people's impressions on sound quality in various car forums. Some adore the sound of Bose over B&O, some praise B&O's quality. Some don't care for sound quality and settle for the regular Audi sound system. I am quite particular with sound quality and I can say that you get a wider frequency range compared to regular systems. What does this mean. Crisper highs and some low end bass enhancement (I say, some, because the subwoofers in the S4's and S5's are not as beefy as expected. You still get extended low end bass but not rockin' and thumpin' bass). You need to be the judge on this one. Go test drive an Audi with or without the B&O sound system and ask yourself if it really is worth the extra $$ to your ears. When you do the listening test, use the same test music on both tests.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by plat27265
Here is my take on your dilemma. The additional performance factor and exclusivity of an S4 is worth $10k more to me. The reason why (here in Canada) S4's hold their value quite well is because they sell fewer of those cars and most of those who buy them are motoring enthusiasts. I say 'most' because some people will buy it just because they can afford it and it is a higher model that the A4.

Take my decision for owning an S5 as an example. I decided to consider the S5 over the A5 and SQ5 because:
1. I am coming from a 2011 VW GTI that had the same engine as the A5. If I am going to spend money on another car, I would like something with more performance and a different much sportier driving experience. Also, since I have more financial freedom than before, fueling up a 3.0L V6 supercharged engine is no longer that much of a concern to me than before.

2. I would like to drive a more exclusive vehicle especially if I am moving up to a luxury brand like Audi. I don't want to drive another vehicle that I see a lot on the road like an A4 or Q5 or A5 or A3.

3. I have thought of the SQ5 since it is a few thousand dollars less than the S5. However, I remembered my youth and the days I spent washing my father's family van. Reaching the roof was a chore because it was high. I had to stand on the stool just so I can wash the roof. I stand 6-feet-2-inches tall. I'll probably still do the same for the SQ5. Now, if Audi made the RS Q3 available in Canada a year ago, I would have definitely gone for that model. I digress. While the SQ5 offers lots of practical space for hauling stuff (I have no kids), I simply find it too big for my day to day needs. I definitely do not want to drive this kind and size of SUV around downtown Vancouver and its narrow side streets and tight parking spaces.

Sound quality is very subjective. I have read about people's impressions on sound quality in various car forums. Some adore the sound of Bose over B&O, some praise B&O's quality. Some don't care for sound quality and settle for the regular Audi sound system. I am quite particular with sound quality and I can say that you get a wider frequency range compared to regular systems. What does this mean. Crisper highs and some low end bass enhancement (I say, some, because the subwoofers in the S4's and S5's are not as beefy as expected. You still get extended low end bass but not rockin' and thumpin' bass). You need to be the judge on this one. Go test drive an Audi with or without the B&O sound system and ask yourself if it really is worth the extra $$ to your ears. When you do the listening test, use the same test music on both tests.
Very, very well stated. I particularly echo your comments reaching that roof and exclusivity. And your comment about finding the SQ5 too large for driving/parking in downtown Vancouver (in my case the Macan S - commuting to and from NYC with its miserable, crowded narrow streets and highways was one of the main reasons I sold my Macan for the A4) so hit home. Were I to be living elsewhere, maybe I'd still own that Macan.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Very, very well stated. I particularly echo your comments reaching that roof and exclusivity. And your comment about finding the SQ5 too large for driving/parking in downtown Vancouver (in my case the Macan S - commuting to and from NYC with its miserable, crowded narrow streets and highways was one of the main reasons I sold my Macan for the A4) so hit home. Were I to be living elsewhere, maybe I'd still own that Macan.
That's funny, I guess that's why everyone has a different opinion and why they make so many different models. I was between the A4 and waiting for the S5. I just love the turbo 4 and decided against the larger engine. The mileage being worse makes a difference to me too, although it's not a big deal I love that I'm averaging over 30 mph with the car and that it's so quick and responsive. As far as having something "exclusive", that could not mean less to me.

Last edited by gguy; 10-27-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy
That's funny, I guess that's why everyone has a different opinion and why they make so many different models. I was between the A4 and waiting for the S5. I just love the turbo 4 and decided against the larger engine. The mileage being worse makes a difference to me too, although it's not a big deal I love that I'm averaging over 30 mph with the car and that it's so quick and responsive. As far as having something "exclusive", that could not mean less to me.

I also find nothing lacking in the A4 turbo - very quick and responsive.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I traded an S5 for my A4 and haven't looked back. The 4 TFSI has lots of pickup, and the car feels more nimble than the S5. Sometimes I miss the exhaust sound of the S5, but most times I prefer the serenely quiet cabin of the A4.

Re: the off-the-line acceleration lag, it is non-existent if you start out in Sport. It only takes one pull back on the shifter. Then, once you are underway you can pull back on it again and go back to Drive. Much easier than using Drive Select.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Re: the off-the-line acceleration lag, it is non-existent if you start out in Sport. It only takes one pull back on the shifter. Then, once you are underway you can pull back on it again and go back to Drive. Much easier than using Drive Select.
x2, plus driving with the shifter in Sport defeats stop/start.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
x2, plus driving with the shifter in Sport defeats stop/start.
Doesn't it amaze you that so many auto writers and test drivers complain about the acceleration lag but never try the Sport mode? I can only guess that they are tinkering with Drive Select and miss that. I never used Sport mode in my S5. I always used Drive Select, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I did test drove the A4 twice and the B8.5 S4 twice as well. I really liked how the A4 handled and drove. Everything I wanted plus efficiency. I felt the 250hp/270tq was plenty enough for me to exploit and probably take to the track as well (I did track days for 3 years and all were in Subaru WRXs and STis). Won't be smashing any records but I think it would hold its own as the suspension and brakes are pretty well sorted out.
The S4 on the other hand felt heavy, although the power delivery was very linear/smooth. Never tested the music though lol...but coming from the Subaru w/ stock system, anything should be better!

My daily commute is about 6kms 1 way so the Turbo 4 would make more sense??
Old 10-28-2016, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it were me, I'd save the money and just go with the A4. Audi seems to have reached a point now where the regular "A" models perform better than the "S" models did just a few years ago.

We seemed to have reached a point now where the performance models (Mercedes AMG, Audi S & RS, BMW M) have so much performance that most of it is wasted on the street. Unless you plan to take your car to the track, I just don't see how the S or RS models make sense.

Quick Reply: B9 A4 vs S4