A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 S Tronic vs. MK7 DSG

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by acruxksa
Is the DL381-7Q a brand new transmission for Audi? I can't seem to find very much information about it online?
Try DL382

But the 252hp 2.0TFSI quattro is using a DL501.

The DL382, introduced in 2014, was originally for FWD versions only, but I believe it may also be in use with quattro Ultra. It has a 400Nm/295ft-lb torque limit.

An S3 is a better comparison to the GTI in terms of transmission type and shift maps (although VW and Audi do not share maps). The A4 maps are intended for smoother rather than aggressive changes. Dynamic MMI, cycle transmission to S mode, then change manually with the paddles will give you the most aggressive response.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Try DL382

But the 252hp 2.0TFSI quattro is using a DL501.

The DL382, introduced in 2014, was originally for FWD versions only, but I believe it may also be in use with quattro Ultra. It has a 400Nm/295ft-lb torque limit.

An S3 is a better comparison to the GTI in terms of transmission type and shift maps (although VW and Audi do not share maps). The A4 maps are intended for smoother rather than aggressive changes. Dynamic MMI, cycle transmission to S mode, then change manually with the paddles will give you the most aggressive response.
DL501-7Q in the 2017 A4 Quattro then. Thanks, found lots of info on that one.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I apologize if it seems like I'm beating a dead horse and this thread is a long way from the original title however, I have a question.

It seems the 2017 Audi A4 Quattro has a DL501-7Q Transmission. My research has indicated that this transmission is designed to work up to 550Nm of torque as per page 20 of this Audi document: http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com...Technology.pdf

However, there are several references online about Audi dropping the dual clutch transmission because they really don't work as well as standard auto's above 400Nm of torque: Audi shifts away from dual clutch transmissions .............couple that with online reports of VAG failures and I guess I'm in a little bit of a quandary. What's the consensus on the DL501-7Q for the 2017 Audi A4? Can it support 550Nm of torque? Less?
Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

I can't edit my posts, but it should say, VAG dual clutch failures.

Also, the reason I ask is that although I don't plan on modding my new A4 for at least a year or maybe two, I will eventually be unable to supress the urge to mod it in such a way that I'm positive the warranty will be voided. That's fine, I would just like to know whether it's even worth trying with the dual clutch DL501-7Q.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Apologies, typo from my phone. It is DL382, not 1.

The DL501 was the transmission used in the B8 S4 which is why it handles more torque. This is not what's in the B9 A4.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No idea as to how much "modding" you can do with the tranny. A search of reliability rating for the A4 tranny shows good reliability though, especially for the last few years. the whole issue of modding a car goes on with all models and the moral of the story is the same for every make and model. The power train is made to work together as a unit. In that sense the engine and the tranny are made to work together as they are built, not as they are modded. If you mod your car, any make or model, you will have to realize that you are upsetting the balance of the power train and will effect other parts of the system. If you mod the engine, then you absolutely will put a strain in the tranny that it was not designed to have on it. Maybe it will work, maybe it will break. Maybe after modding the engine you will have to be particularly careful about how you use the tranny, which would suck. If you really feel that the A4 isn't enough engine for you, why not go with a S4 and get a power train designed for more power? Why do you think that Audi, and every other car maker that there is, will void your warranty if you mod the engine? The answer is obvious. A modded engine raises the chance of a failure an awful lot. The power train was not designed for that. It really is that simple. If you want to mod your car, that is your business, but know before you do it that that you become your own warranty carrier at that point because it is considerably more likely that you will have a failure.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gguy
No idea as to how much "modding" you can do with the tranny. A search of reliability rating for the A4 tranny shows good reliability though, especially for the last few years. the whole issue of modding a car goes on with all models and the moral of the story is the same for every make and model. The power train is made to work together as a unit. In that sense the engine and the tranny are made to work together as they are built, not as they are modded. If you mod your car, any make or model, you will have to realize that you are upsetting the balance of the power train and will effect other parts of the system. If you mod the engine, then you absolutely will put a strain in the tranny that it was not designed to have on it. Maybe it will work, maybe it will break. Maybe after modding the engine you will have to be particularly careful about how you use the tranny, which would suck. If you really feel that the A4 isn't enough engine for you, why not go with a S4 and get a power train designed for more power? Why do you think that Audi, and every other car maker that there is, will void your warranty if you mod the engine? The answer is obvious. A modded engine raises the chance of a failure an awful lot. The power train was not designed for that. It really is that simple. If you want to mod your car, that is your business, but know before you do it that that you become your own warranty carrier at that point because it is considerably more likely that you will have a failure.
Modding was probably the wrong word

The A4 is enough right now. Whether it will be enough in a year or two I can't say. I eventually plan to get an APR tune, but it put's the torque numbers up around 500Nm. This is well below the 550Nm torque numbers listed for the transmission. I fully understand that it would void my warranty and the drivetrain was designed to work with the engine as it is stock.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

The A4 is enough right now. Whether it will be enough in a year or two I can't say. I eventually plan to get an APR tune, but it put's the torque numbers up around 500Nm. This is well below the 550Nm torque numbers listed for the transmission. I fully understand that it would void my warranty and the drivetrain was designed to work with the engine as it is stock.
As I mentioned earlier... you are looking at the wrong transmission.

If you'd like to see an animation of the DL382, here you go:

DIGITALMEDIATECHNIK GMBH - PORTFOLIO
Old 11-13-2016, 11:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
As I mentioned earlier... you are looking at the wrong transmission.

If you'd like to see an animation of the DL382, here you go:

DIGITALMEDIATECHNIK GMBH - PORTFOLIO
Thanks for linking to my website!

I produced these animations and illustrations of the DL382 & after reading some of the posts here felt the need to make a couple of things clear.

1. There are 2 basic families of DSG/stronic within the Volkswagen Group. Gearboxes for transverse mounted engines (in A1, A3, Q2, Q3, Polo, Golf, Passat, Tiguan, Octavia, Superb, Kodiaq etc.) and gearboxes for longitudinally mounted engines (in A4, A5, Q5, A6, A7, A8 (hybrid)). Transverse are mainly developed by VW and longitudinal are mainly developed by Audi.
2. The 2017 Audi A4/A5 etc (B9), when fitted with "stronic", all get the DL382, either DL382-7F (FWD) or DL382-7Q (AWD). Whether the car is fitted with the new quattro ultra system depends on how new it is. There was an interim DL382-7Q which utilized a standard torsen diff.
3. The DL501 was the equivalent gearbox for the A4 (B8). It also had various versions and appeared in multiple vehicles, not just the S4.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Reading that again, I came across an awful lot stronger than I intended to. I honestly understand if you decide that you want to mod your car. Several other people here do that now. It's your car and you should do what is reasonably fun to you with it. My point was (and what frustrates me) that if you are going to beef up hp and torque, you need to plan to need to beef up other parts of the power train. Like the tranny. It is just a given. Don't go into it thinking that Audi was nice enough to give you a tranny that will handle a tuned engine without any strengthening. Audi is cool, but not that cool. And please understand before you do it that your warranty will be gone and you need to know that and have plans to be your own warranty garage. But if you still decide to mod your engine then have at it and we would love to hear about it and hear how it goes.

Quick Reply: B9 S Tronic vs. MK7 DSG