A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Bluetooth Music vs CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, it disables Bluetooth audio and if you have CarPlay enabled it also disables handsfree and directory sync. With CarPlay enabled you no longer see the phone book etc. in the MMI while the phone is plugged into USB. With CarPlay disabled, you still get all the Bluetooth phone functions, but audio from media apps goes over USB and it doesn't work for all apps. For example, I was trying to use Google Maps on my iPhone while plugged into USB and CarPlay disabled, but it wouldn't play the nav instructions at all, not even over the phone's speakers. I had to disconnect it from the USB port and then the nav instructions started to play over Bluetooth audio. So it seems not all apps are correctly routing the audio.
This is exactly what I was wondering. Thanks for the clarifications.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by unashamedgeek
The only thing you lose I guess is it being wireless, but you gain charging and album art.

Another thing I noticed is that when connected over Bluetooth, I can't pause my music. If I hit the mute button, the time keeps going showing that the song is playing. However, when I'm connected with USB, if I mute the music, my music gets paused. I need to play with it some more, but I just found that out this past weekend on a road trip. Note this is all streaming music with Google Music on my iPhone 6S.
When using the built in Apple Music player over Bluetooth, I can indeed pause the music by muting it, and I do get artwork as well, although as noted it is from the MMI database as occasionally I noticed different artwork than that which is embedded in the music files.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Select songs from list while using BT

I have noticed something odd (wrong) while using BT. On either display, a list of tracks can be displayed. When I scroll down to a different track and select it nothing happens. It appears the list is only for information purposes. I would rather that I could select any track in the list. At least the next track works as expected.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it sounds like for someone like me who has an iPhone 6 but is deeply embedded in the Google ecosystem with Google Music and Google Maps specifically, CarPlay is virtually useless? If this si the case it looks like my next upgrade may need to be an Android phone.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HomerJay
So it sounds like for someone like me who has an iPhone 6 but is deeply embedded in the Google ecosystem with Google Music and Google Maps specifically, CarPlay is virtually useless? If this si the case it looks like my next upgrade may need to be an Android phone.
Currently Google Music and Google Maps don't work with Apple CarPlay.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HomerJay
Since Android is made by Google, then I would think that would be an easy decision. Why did you ever get an iPhone in the first place?
Old 08-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Since Android is made by Google, then I would think that would be an easy decision. Why did you ever get an iPhone in the first place?
I worked for a company that did mobile data collection and in 2008 we switched from the Palm OS platform to iOS. The company provided me with an iPhone and I was allowed to use it for whatever I wanted both business and personal so who was I to complain, LOL.

I did happen to leave that company last year but I was allowed to keep my phone and just take over the service and here I am. I'm in no rush to dump a ton of cash on a new phone since mine is perfectly fine so I will need to deal with it for now. My nieces have Android so maybe I will test one of their phones in the Audi and if it works as I like I can decide to buy one.

Does MMI read text messages for you or is that a CarPlay only feature? Looks like I will probably disconnect my phone from CarPlay since it's set to auto connect when I plug in.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Unfortunately both Android Auto and CarPlay are currently mostly locked into their respective ecosystems. I use all three major ecosystems (Apple, Google and Microsoft) and iOS is the only mobile platform currently that has support for all three. Unfortunately, that support doesn't extend to CarPlay much.

Overall I like Android Auto much better. It's more task oriented with Google Now right front and center. CarPlay is just the same dumb screen of icons as on the phone. However, switching to an Android phone for me is off the table. A) because it doesn't support the Apple ecosystem and B) it's a hot mess of fragmentation, malware and lack of updates.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unfortunately iPhones are locked down and text message information cannot be transferred over Bluetooth. However, you can activate Siri by holding down the voice button on the steering wheel, and then Siri can read your messages to you. I believe with an Android phone, you can actually see your messages on the MMI screen.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Unfortunately iPhones are locked down and text message information cannot be transferred over Bluetooth. However, you can activate Siri by holding down the voice button on the steering wheel, and then Siri can read your messages to you. I believe with an Android phone, you can actually see your messages on the MMI screen.
Untrue, I read and reply to texts via Bluetooth on MMI all the time on my iPhone.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Music vs CarPlay