A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Bluetooth Music vs CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
Untrue, I read and reply to texts via Bluetooth on MMI all the time on my iPhone.
What? How? Please share. I would like to do that. I have not seen a way to make it happen...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Untrue, I read and reply to texts via Bluetooth on MMI all the time on my iPhone.
Really? Where is the text message section on the MMI menu? I've only had my car for 3 weeks, but I've never been able to find anything related to text messages on the MMI. I just assumed it was because I'm using an iPhone. When I get a text message, nothing happens on the MMI, but I just hear the notification from the phone in my pocket. So I've been using Siri to have the text message read to me.

My friend has an A7 and an Android phone, and when I've been in his car, I see he sometimes has his text messages up on the MMI screen.

I must be missing something...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryze
What? How? Please share. I would like to do that. I have not seen a way to make it happen...
You need to be sure to go into Bluetooth on your iPhone and hit the 'i' on your car and turn on "Show Notifications"
Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Really? Where is the text message section on the MMI menu? I've only had my car for 3 weeks, but I've never been able to find anything related to text messages on the MMI. I just assumed it was because I'm using an iPhone. When I get a text message, nothing happens on the MMI, but I just hear the notification from the phone in my pocket. So I've been using Siri to have the text message read to me.

My friend has an A7 and an Android phone, and when I've been in his car, I see he sometimes has his text messages up on the MMI screen.

I must be missing something...
Once you turn notifications on on your phone you will get and exclamation mark next to the telephone tab in the VC and that's how you know you got a text. Go to TEL and option left and choose text messages.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Once you turn notifications on on your phone you will get and exclamation mark next to the telephone tab in the VC and that's how you know you got a text. Go to TEL and option left and choose text messages.
Thanks Mitch!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow. Now there is really no reason to use CarPlay, until further notice!
Old 08-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
However, switching to an Android phone for me is off the table. A) because it doesn't support the Apple ecosystem and B) it's a hot mess of fragmentation, malware and lack of updates.
Apple software or services (except for Music) won't ever be on any other platform since it's Apple. They're not allowed on anything other than an Apple device.

Fragmentation isn't an issue if you go with a Nexus and it's supported by Google. Malware is only an issue if you sideload or if you're pulling stuff from China.

So with that, you should definitely switch. =)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ryze
Wow. Now there is really no reason to use CarPlay, until further notice!
Agreed! At some point in time (a few years from now), when the MMI on our 2017 A4s starts to become a little dated and iOS has been updated year after year, there will come a time when CarPlay will be better than the MMI and then there will be a reason to use it. But for now, I can't think of any reason.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Agreed! At some point in time (a few years from now), when the MMI on our 2017 A4s starts to become a little dated and iOS has been updated year after year, there will come a time when CarPlay will be better than the MMI and then there will be a reason to use it. But for now, I can't think of any reason.
I think the purposes of AA and CP is to keep you from being tempted to look away from the phone but still have access to your phone, albeit, limited access.

You can't get certain types of messages or notifications outside of SMS (WhatsApp, Hangouts, iMessage) through MMI so for those users, this is big advantage. You can also reply to those messages by voice in AA.

Maybe this will help to explain what each does and what each is capable of
Old 08-05-2016, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stakex
I think the purposes of AA and CP is to keep you from being tempted to look away from the phone but still have access to your phone, albeit, limited access.

You can't get certain types of messages or notifications outside of SMS (WhatsApp, Hangouts, iMessage) through MMI so for those users, this is big advantage. You can also reply to those messages by voice in AA.

Maybe this will help to explain what each does and what each is capable of
Apple CarPlay vs. Android Auto - YouTube
This will start to change in a month when iOS 10 is public and Siri API is available for these messaging apps to be able to create competent CarPlay apps with the same functionality.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Music vs CarPlay