A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Does anyone NOT turn their car off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone NOT turn their car off?

Since the A4 turns off automatically, does anyone just NOT push the START/STOP button when they put the car in park/set the brake/get out and shut the door?

A few times I've sat in my car fiddling with my phone or Spotify or something after I've parked. The engine turns off but the car is on. Then I see a message that says the ignition turns off automatically. I've even accidentally turned the car on (not the engine) by pressing the START/STOP button by reflex after it's already "auto turned off".

This car is requiring some new muscle memory!

Dr. B
Old 05-28-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drbooya
Since the A4 turns off automatically, does anyone just NOT push the START/STOP button when they put the car in park/set the brake/get out and shut the door?

A few times I've sat in my car fiddling with my phone or Spotify or something after I've parked. The engine turns off but the car is on. Then I see a message that says the ignition turns off automatically. I've even accidentally turned the car on (not the engine) by pressing the START/STOP button by reflex after it's already "auto turned off".

This car is requiring some new muscle memory!

Dr. B
Is this happening after pressing the P button? On most cars the engine auto Stop/Re-start function is only active when the car is in D and your foot is on the brake pedal. This function is usually not active while in P. Could be different on the A4... Check if this happens while in P mode and let us know.

Last edited by yvantheterrible; 05-28-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible
Is this happening after pressing the P button? On most cars the engine auto Stop/Re-start function is only active when the car is in D and your foot is on the brake pedal. This function is usually not active while in P. Could be different on the A4... Check if this happens while in P mode and let us know.
Audis work in P and so do BMWs.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Audis work in P and so do BMWs.
So does this mean that if I go out in cold winter months and start my car to let it warm up that the engine will auto stop when it reaches proper temperature? My Merc has this auto stop feature but the engine never auto stops while in Park mode, this is a cool feature.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible
So does this mean that if I go out in cold winter months and start my car to let it warm up that the engine will auto stop when it reaches proper temperature? My Merc has this auto stop feature but the engine never auto stops while in Park mode, this is a cool feature.
Never tried it. If you drive to your destination and then sit in the parking lot, the engine will start and stop as needed. I don't think it works on start up though. When I worked at BMW, we let loaner cars run to warm up in the morning and they never shut off.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I don't press the P button anymore when leaving the car, I just push the Start/stop button which will engage P regardless of the mode the car was in before. I usually don't engage the parking brake manual anymore either, turning the car off with the foot not he break and the seatbelt still on seems to engage the P brake automatically. Starting the engine, putting on the seatbelt, shifting to D and getting on the gas disengages the P brake. Forgetting to put the seatbelt on in that sequence seems to make the P brake not disengage automatically.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I was looking for!

I'll try that today.

The attached image from the owner's manual discusses the "auto ignition off" feature.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

The information from the manual suggests that pushing the "START ENGINE STOP" button isn't necessary. Will have to play around with it.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by drbooya
The information from the manual suggests that pushing the "START ENGINE STOP" button isn't necessary. Will have to play around with it.
Correct, if you engage Park and the auto stop start system shut off the engine, you can then just proceed to open the door and lock the car and be fine.

If the system is on, but did not shut off the engine, then you must shut it off.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 286 Likes on 231 Posts

@drbooya - 30 secs or 30 mins for the parking lights to turn off? My B7 Coming Home lights turn off after about 30 secs; 30 mins is a very long time to leave a set of lights on when the objective is to stop the battery draining.

Quick Reply: Does anyone NOT turn their car off?