A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

To XPEL or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
To clarify once again, Xpel is not a "coating". It's a film to prevent rock chips, usually applied to the front areas of the car. A ceramic coating is a semi-permanent "shell" applied to the paint to prevent swirls and environmental damage, shed water and dirt to make washing easier while eliminating the need to wax.
That would be my bad, I perverted the original thread and introduced the ceramic conversation instead of starting a new thread.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To clarify once again, Xpel is not a "coating". It's a film to prevent rock chips, usually applied to the front areas of the car. A ceramic coating is a semi-permanent "shell" applied to the paint to prevent swirls and environmental damage, shed water and dirt to make washing easier while eliminating the need to wax.
Sorry I meant to say not the Xpel film but maybe a ceramic coating

Last edited by jorgecopa; 02-17-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 3M film installed yesterday. Everything looks great except for around the parking sensors on the front bumper. There appears to be bubbles in a circle around the sensor where there is the indentation. I know there is a 30 day curing time but I was curious if other people had similar issues and it was resolved during curing or if I should go back and ask them to try to do something now before it cures.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Engel
I had the 3M film installed yesterday. Everything looks great except for around the parking sensors on the front bumper. There appears to be bubbles in a circle around the sensor where there is the indentation. I know there is a 30 day curing time but I was curious if other people had similar issues and it was resolved during curing or if I should go back and ask them to try to do something now before it cures.
I'm not sure, but the best and most certain way is to take some pics and send them to your installer after you call them. No sense being unsure.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Engel
While this can be evident for a few days, if they don't disappear, have the installer fix it. Curing is just to have the film settle down and the "adhesive" dry. There is no problem with removing film at any time - it's not permanent.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reading this thread there may be some conflating of film and paint protection coatings - they are separate products that do different things.

Xpel (not Expel) Ultimate is a high quality film designed to protect paint damage from small rocks and gravel. It has self-healing properties and a clearcoat layer like the car's paint and does a great job preventing paint chips and minor scratches. Best results are achieved when applied to the full front - hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors, headlight lenses and A pillars.

Paint protection products like Opti-Coat Pro Plus, Ceramic Pro and CQuartz, are semi-permanent coatings to protect the paint from environmental damage/UV fade, swirls and minor scratches by providing a hard shell over the car (and can even be applied over Xpel Ultimate film). Due to their hydrophobic properties, some coatings eliminate the need for waxing while maintaining a high gloss also making for easier cleaning.

On my A6 I have a full front application of Xpel Ultimate and coatings of Ceramic Pro 9H. In 4 1/2 years and over 55K miles, I've not had a single paint chip nor do I have a need to wax the car and it still looks like new - glossy and slick to the touch.

Mind sharing who did the xpel? My car is going in next week for a full front wrap and he will also do the trunk area (pull off the factory one and replace with xpel). I am also getting the windows tinted and will prob get the opicaot or ceramic coating as well.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the process of having a Matte PPF installed on my Q7... Looking at the panels and areas that have been installed I didn't notice any bubbles (especially around the parking sensors). Keep an eye on it and ensure they will fix it if it doesn't resolve itself.

Here is a little tease of what is to come...

Last edited by PeteDin206; 03-08-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by suesrn3
Mind sharing who did the xpel? My car is going in next week for a full front wrap and he will also do the trunk area (pull off the factory one and replace with xpel). I am also getting the windows tinted and will prob get the opicaot or ceramic coating as well.
Unique Car Care | Clear Bra Installation - Luxury & Exotic Car Detailing - Andover, MA
Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! That is where mine is going! I am so excited to see how it comes out.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by suesrn3
Thanks! That is where mine is going! I am so excited to see how it comes out.
UCC is one of the top 10 custom detailers in the U.S. You'll be very pleased.
Tell Rick Nelson Glenn R. says hi.

Quick Reply: To XPEL or not?