A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Front license plate filler plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Front license plate filler plate

Ok, when I got my A4 5 months ago, my dealership sent me (no charge) the front grill filler plate. I think one of the A4's most pleasing visuals is that front grill and that is totally destroyed by having a front license plate smack in the middle. Anyhow, my filler plate was stolen (yes, this is NJ) a few days ago. New one would be $30.00 (a lot of $$ for a tiny piece that probably cost Audi about a buck to make, not a lot of $$ in the scheme of things though) but I was talking to the Audi parts guy and said he just got a $75.00 ticket in NYC (where I commute to) for not having a front license plate. I knew from day one (starting with my Macan) that you run the risk of a ticket and was willing to wait until my first one before I popped a front plate on. Now, I'm reconsidering the aesthetics and just may put the front license plate on and call it a day.
Anyone in the same boat?
Old 09-30-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to run my A4 with no front plate on Long Island. Was stopped once in my TT for no front plate and encouraged to put it on, but that officer never bothered me again, he later gave me a head shake and I gave him a wave like he was saying hello again. Never given a citation for no front plate but I run the OEM filler plate so it's not so obvious like an empty plate holder. I already bought the filler plate for my A4 ☺️
Old 09-30-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Colorado where we have to have one. I have never had a front license plate on the front and only got a ticket downtown once where meter maids make their living. I've lived in Colorado for 14 years. I make sure when I park downtown I am not on the side of the street, I go into underground parking areas or parking lots, you can't be ticketed in those as that's private property.

Personally I'll run the risk of a fix it ticket vs. having that horrible front plate ruin the look of my car. If a cop pulls you over just be nice and tell him that you where detailing your car and forgot to put it back on. Heck I wonder if it's even legal to have it in the front windshield, if that was the case just throw it up there before the cop comes to your door lol.

I don't think cops are all too worried about front license plates here, I can't speak for other states.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my plate stolen too. DC. Seemed crazy that some one would do this. Maybe it fell off but I can't see how. The front looks much better without a plate frankly.

Ultimately had to get a police report, go to DMV and get new plates and registration issued. Total pain.

The front plate holder cost me $150 at the dealership. $75 sounds like a bargain.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DCESQuire
I had my plate stolen too. DC. Seemed crazy that some one would do this. Maybe it fell off but I can't see how. The front looks much better without a plate frankly.

Ultimately had to get a police report, go to DMV and get new plates and registration issued. Total pain.

The front plate holder cost me $150 at the dealership. $75 sounds like a bargain.
I think we are speaking of 2 different things. I lost/had stolen the little filler plate for the front grill. It covers the area on the grill that has open holes to recieve the license plate screws for the license plate to be attached to the grill. Sounds like your actual license plates were stolen. Big difference.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I dont know if you saw this, but you can get the plate filler for $20 here https://www.europaparts.com/front-pl...07287brp5.html

I havent run front plates on my cars in over 15 years.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I dont know if you saw this, but you can get the plate filler for $20 here https://www.europaparts.com/front-pl...07287brp5.html

I havent run front plates on my cars in over 15 years.

Dang it. I just ordered one from my dealer.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Dang it. I just ordered one from my dealer.
Cancel and reorder. Always look on the internet for the best price.

$19 free S&H if your order is over $25

https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B9_A4....0T/ES3030587/

Last edited by Strife1013; 09-30-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013

$19 free S&H if your order is over $25

fixed that for ya
Old 09-30-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Strife1013

$19 free S&H

Kinda too late, its already ordered and hipping from another dealer...

Quick Reply: Front license plate filler plate