A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Has anyone received any useful info about the sales hold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Will there be a recall on previous 17' A4's? Nothing on Audi's recall site using my VIN.
I don't think there will be. This is all about ensuring Audi's compliance with US emission regulations.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
I don't think there will be. This is all about ensuring Audi's compliance with US emission regulations.
You think the government will give Audi a pass on all the A4s that were sold from March 2016 - November 2016? I am assuming all these cars (in December and January)were on hold and now require reprogramming because something was not "acceptable" to let them go without reprogramming.

I am not sure I follow your logic as to why there will not be a recall for our cars that were sold prior to this sales hold and therefore do not have the new programming everything going through the port now is getting.

My guess is that we will get a recall notice soon. The good news if what we are reading is true, it is just software. The bad news, if this is again emissions related, expect a decrease is MPGs post recall.

Last edited by Donkihad; 01-20-2017 at 04:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Donkihad
You think the government will give Audi a pass on all the A4s that were sold from March 2016 - November 2016? I am assuming all these cars (in December and January)were on hold and now require reprogramming because something was not "acceptable" to let them go without reprogramming.

I am not sure I follow your logic as to why there will not be a recall for our cars that were sold prior to this sales hold and therefore do not have the new programming everything going through the port now is getting.

My guess is that we will get a recall notice soon. The good news if what we are reading is true, it is just software. The bad news, if this is again emissions related, expect a decrease is MPGs post recall.
You may well be right.

Could I ask you what you are reading or finding, other than what is on this forum? I'm unable to find any information about B9 emissions software problems anywhere.

To me, it just doesn't make good business sense. Why would Audi keep installing (let's call it defective) software at the production facilities, month after month, and then ship the vehicles, just to have the vehicles be (expensively) held up in port to have it altered?

Thanks.

Last edited by Dave W; 01-20-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You may well be right.

Could I ask you what you are reading or finding, other than what is on this forum? I'm unable to find any information about B9 emissions software problems anywhere.

To me, it just doesn't make good business sense. Why would Audi keep installing (let's call it defective) software at the production facilities, month after month, and then ship the vehicles, just to have the vehicles be (expensively) held up in port to have it altered?

Thanks.
Exact same question I posted earlier. Please quote a source.

Some of us would love to be able to see if our A4s are worth waiting for.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may well be right.

Thanks.
Here is a link to an article from the New York Times that was published in November 2016, right about the time the sales hold started. It does not specifically refer to B9 emissions, but mentions that suspicious emissions software was found on gasoline engine Audis. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/b...ting.html?_r=0
Old 01-20-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The cheat in that article could only be related to automatic transmissions. Manuals are also on the sales hold, but maybe they're just caught in the same net.

But I think the long term solution is that we should all stop buying automatics and only buy manuals, therefore no possible issue with shifting programs.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Here is a link to an article from the New York Times that was published in November 2016, right about the time the sales hold started. It does not specifically refer to B9 emissions, but mentions that suspicious emissions software was found on gasoline engine Audis. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/b...ting.html?_r=0
The class action lawsuit cited in this article targets vehicles equipped with ZF 8HP55 AL 551, which is a 8-speed transmission. It alleges that "During the CARB testing, the vehicle’s transmission control module sets shift points that produced compliant emission results under the calibration that Volkswagen referred to as the “dyno calibration.” The subject vehicles can detect static dynometer lab conditions and will operate in low power mode until exposed to actual road conditions". This mode would be active in the test when there is no steering input.

The A4 B9 uses a different S-tronic transmission, 7-speed (proprietary DL501-7Q), which doesn't fall under this lawsuit. But it seems there is a second lawsuit that also mentions the S-tronic transmission. Interestingly, it lists several Audi vehicles (p. 8), including the S4, but not the A4... Go figure.

It's always hard to tell whether these lawsuits have merit, but Audi's actions and lack of transparency definitely raise suspicion.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Thanks again guys- my MB pic you asked for

Originally Posted by AudiD
+1
For those of you with an A4 on order, I'll be with you in spirit. I hope this sales stop storm passes quickly. And good things do come to those that wait.

But as a couple of you asked- here's my ride for the next 3 years (scraped from the dealer I get mine today). Cardinal red metalic with sport pkg and 19" wheels. I've got it now, so it's my favorite. But I'd have never even looked had my dealer 1) even called or emailed back with I'm trying, or 2) said ok you'll get yours late but not later than x.

John
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone received any useful info about the sales hold?-jc-e300.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsclarke99
For those of you with an A4 on order, I'll be with you in spirit. I hope this sales stop storm passes quickly. And good things do come to those that wait.

But as a couple of you asked- here's my ride for the next 3 years (scraped from the dealer I get mine today). Cardinal red metalic with sport pkg and 19" wheels. I've got it now, so it's my favorite. But I'd have never even looked had my dealer 1) even called or emailed back with I'm trying, or 2) said ok you'll get yours late but not later than x.

John
Very nice. The Cardinal Red looks good on the car.

I hope that someone from Audi as well as some dealers are looking at this thread.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jsclarke99

John
Wow. Lovely color. And she does look beautiful. You won't miss the A4 much. Have fun with MB for 3 yrs and then maybe, if you feel like it, look at an Audi. I wonder what the idiots at Audi are thinking, keeping mum and making people frustrated!!!

Quick Reply: Has anyone received any useful info about the sales hold?