A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Headlight comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by yb28
Get the LEDs, thats what Audi is known for, im actually surprised they still offer stupid xenons on such a high tech car (I have them and I hate it), It feels like audi spent a lot of time on the LEDs and want people to pay for it (duh), and for those that didnt/couldnt get the LEDs and have to get the xenons, the designers were just like...'whatever, give them a projector and 4 ugly *** Led bulbs'.. I really want to get them but i only had about 5 days to pick up a car and had to get one off the lot ..now I want to change them and I'm looking at about 3500-4000CAD
The xenons still aren't all that bad.

I have halogens in my X3. Imagine. That sucks big time. The fog lamp is brighter than the headlamp since the fog lamp is LED. LOL
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I think I have read somewhere that the Xenon in the B9 have lower lumen output than the Xenon in the B8 had. If that's a concern I would definitely get the LED. While not a good comparison, the LED in my 2012 A6 C7 were a lot better than the Xenon in my 2010 Q5 and I think that the LED in my 2017 A4 are better than the LED in my 2012 A6 C7 were. I just wish they would offer Matrix LED in the US...
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a loaner with the non-LED lights and I found it really noticeable. The LED High Beams are just stellar! As far as the Prem + package, if you are into audio you must have the B&O system. The S-line goodies also come with the P+. If you are negotiating % off the list, it does not cost the full $3,000. I would have been kicking myself for not getting it. Oh and the cold weather package, the heated steering wheel is fantastic here in Jersey!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. That is definitely steering me to the P+

I'm in Florida so no need for heated anything except for about 2 weeks a year. :-P However the wife loves the heated seats on her back so I was told they are a must. (hey she is giving me permission for this sweet car)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by gooberman
Thanks for the input guys. That is definitely steering me to the P+

I'm in Florida so no need for heated anything except for about 2 weeks a year. :-P However the wife loves the heated seats on her back so I was told they are a must. (hey she is giving me permission for this sweet car)
Heated front seats are standard. Cold weather package gives you heated steering and heated rear seats.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Xenons that have a lower lumens than 2000 do not need washers, thus if the A4 with xenons fitted don't come with washers as standard then they are less bright. The same applies to LED's as well...
Old 03-21-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Gooberman, You probably already got enough information to persuade you to go with P+. Here is a quick discussion about Premium's Xenon lights which will further help you to make decision for P+:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...eling-2916849/
Looks, the HID head lights on Premium are not self leveling and will not do the turning illumination (corner lights light up the direction where you are turning to, very useful feature on P+ at night).

Last edited by minmet; 03-21-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I've driven both, and own the LEDs while the loaner I had for a few weeks before my new car arrived had HIDs. HIDs are very, very good and you would be happy with their output. However the LEDs are betting (and noticeable) in a few aspects. With multiple reflectors/illumination points of origin with the LEDs a different, more accurate dispersion is accomplished. The high beans punch down the road further and in a more focused pattern. Also, the LEDs sweep closer to 90 degrees to the side of the car and illuminate the ditches more than the HIDs. Also, the color of the light is inherently different, with HIDs around 4300K and the LEDs 5000K (meaning the LEDs are closer to sunlight and make the light produced easier for your eyes to view and make them more effective for you to see in the dark). So yes, there are differences, but the HIDs are lightyears beyond halogen bulbs. I'd be more concerned that you will mentally be sad you didn't get the LEDs and it will always make you love the car a little less than if you had gotten what you really wanted...the cool-looking LEDs. Plus, should the HIDs ever need a bulb or ballast it's not really very cheap whereas the LEDs are for life.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I made the mistake of getting the regular xenon's. They are perfectly fine and not bad at all. Still better than most cars on the road. But they are nowhere near as cool as the LEDs.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
the color of the light is inherently different, with HIDs around 4300K and the LEDs 5000K (meaning the LEDs are closer to sunlight and make the light produced easier for your eyes to view and make them more effective for you to see in the dark).
That's debatable. Higher color temperatures mean a "bluer" light, and I find that causes more glare and eyestrain.

7 Blue Light Facts: How Blue Light Is Both Bad and Good For You

https://www.thevisioncouncil.org/con...tal-eye-strain

Quick Reply: Headlight comparison