A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How do you like CarPlay?

Old 10-23-2016, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewba
I will grant that Apple Maps is decent, but even that could use more detail. For example, it shows traffic on the map, but nothing in text about how many minutes of delay there are and when the delays start.
I don't have a iPhone but does Apple maps show that information you refer to when viewing it on the phone? If not, I don't see how CarPlay would show that.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bugout
That's odd.. I can be connected to carplay listening to music and use the MMI Nav just fine. If I activate maps in carplay then it kills the MMI Nav.
I tried CarPlay again today and you're correct. If I don't have Apple maps open, the MMI navigation works even with CarPlay running.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like Apple CarPlay if I was able to see the album art in the MMI Screen. Haven't messed around with the other features yet.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm sorry if I posted this already, but the first time I used CarPlay it worked great for about 45 minutes and then CarPlay shut down and the USB outlets would not work. They came back on the next day but after about 30 minutes it shut down in the same way again. I took it to an Audi dealer. They found fault codes in the USB circuits, but the mechanic said all the circuits checked out fine and his iPhone played fine for over two hours. I left and it did it again. My local dealer called the Audi tech line and they said they had seen it happen several times and it had been chased down to the individual iPhone itself. The lightning port on some of the iPhones is too loose and allows it to short. We checked my phone and the connection was sort of loose. I got a replacement phone and so far it hasn't happened again.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the exact same problem with the audio playing through the iPhone's speaker instead of the A4's speaker system. No idea what causes this or how to fix it.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can still use the MMI nav with other CarPlay features, I do all the time by displaying MMI nav in the VC and CarPlay (Maus of primarily) in the dash display.

Also, supporting VC sis up to Audi, not CarPlay. If you follow Apple development (specifically WWDC you would see that second display support was added in iOS 10).

Just FYI...

Originally Posted by drewba
I was excited about having CarPlay when I got the car, but just over a week in, I've pretty much moved away from it already. I really don't like how CarPlay takes over for MMI. Thus, I can't use CarPlay for phone and the MMI for navigation for example. I also don't like that it doesn't leverage the virtual cockpit at all.

I suppose that if I actually liked the CarPlay interface, the above items would be easier to live with, but I really don't like it. I find that most of the apps are too simplistic and aren't configurable. For example, the music app is really just three giant buttons with a small amount of text. Even the screen art isn't featured, it is just turned into a blurry background behind the giant buttons. I will grant that Apple Maps is decent, but even that could use more detail. For example, it shows traffic on the map, but nothing in text about how many minutes of delay there are and when the delays start. My guess is that CarPlay was optimized for use on a touchscreen, not with a controller like we have in the A4, hence the big buttons and limited configurability.

It is unlikely that I will purchase the Audi Connect data plan when my 6 month trial expires, so I may find myself using Apple Maps more to get real-time traffic and online location searching in the future. For now, I've disabled the smartphone interface so that I can connect the phone via USB and maximize sound quality, but still use the native MMI.

During my limited time using CarPlay, I did experience the sound coming out of the phone speakers once, but I don't recall the scenario in which it happened.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audi2589
I don't have a iPhone but does Apple maps show that information you refer to when viewing it on the phone? If not, I don't see how CarPlay would show that.
I have had it tell me about a delay and reroute me, you have to have a route in the system for it to do that of course. The Audi nav also does it, maybe a bit more often but it also suggested terrible routes around traffic, at least in SoCal

Also for those having issues with disconnects and audio routing issues, make sure you are using an official apple or high quality legitimate third party cable. You may not be aware but a lot of the stuff sold on amazon is claimed to be legitimate apple or MFI but actually are low quality fakes. You also may not think much goes in to a USB cable but there are differences.

I'm not saying CarPlay is perfect but I have a disconnect maybe once every couple of weeks in iOS 10 with good cables whereas I had multiple disconnects per week with cheap cables.

Last edited by zillerkaz; 10-29-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
  1. Spotify opens and i can browse with no issues but trying to play any track results in nothing. I just get the Rewind, Play, and Forward buttons for a few seconds then the screen goes back to the playlist. Only way around this is to disconnect Carplay

Hate when this happens and I can't determine what triggers it.

Also, I occasionally have trouble replaying a playlist after it completes.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried CarPlay got confused and decided to quit it. I kinda want to be able to send a text message easily, play songs by an artist by just saying play Beastie Boys. Anyone having a good intuitive experience with it?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by exboy
I tried CarPlay got confused and decided to quit it. I kinda want to be able to send a text message easily, play songs by an artist by just saying play Beastie Boys. Anyone having a good intuitive experience with it?
You can do both of those things without CarPlay. Just press and hold the voice control button on the steering wheel and it will prompt Siri. Then it basically works the same as CarPlay from that point. If you tell Siri to "Play Beastie Boys", then just switch the MMI to "Media" mode and it will be playing the Beastie Boys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you like CarPlay?