A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How Much of the Interior is Leather?

Old 03-27-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default How Much of the Interior is Leather?

Last week, someone posted a comment to the effect of "Of course, very little of the A4's interior is actually leather." I'm curious how much of it is actually leather. It certainly seems to me that much of it is not leather at all or, if leather, not very high quality leather. Anybody know?
Old 03-27-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm guessing it is mainly leatherette and little leather. Basically just the seating contact surfaces are leather and the rest is leatherette? Could be wrong though.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it is just the seating surfaces, the steering wheel, and the shift ****. Everything else that looks like leather (headrests, center armrest) is leatherette.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
I believe it is just the seating surfaces, the steering wheel, and the shift ****. Everything else that looks like leather (headrests, center armrest) is leatherette.
Exactly. That's what I was trying to imply.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
This, just touching different areas of the seat will allow you to feel which parts are leather and which aren't.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least the quality of the "material formerly known as vinyl" has improved to the point where we can barely tell the difference, and manufacturers are able to blend it in with a leather interior. Remember that vinyl interior stuff from the 70s? *shudder*
Old 03-28-2017, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Would I be correct in assuming the leather portions and the leatherette portions can be cleaned with the same product? Lexol or the equivalent?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Thanks for the replies. Would I be correct in assuming the leather portions and the leatherette portions can be cleaned with the same product? Lexol or the equivalent?
While not a direct answer and some food for thought, see this link for a similar discussion:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...aning-2916645/
I have not used Lexol, I have used some Audi branded products and in the last few cars -Griot's Garage leather care products. On my Allroad, I am using the Nanolex Textile and Leather Sealant on all the interior surfaces - including the dash. I'll apply one coat for protection and other products for maintence.

I am betting their could be differences in what is leather and what's not depending on the car you have, but we are speaking of the Audi A4's here, so as mentioned in this thread - it's the seats - the bottoms, I don't think the backs (?), the steering wheel and shift ****. I also believe they are "coated" leather - at least the seating surface is. I am betting most cars in this class are very similar. Which begs the question - if the leather is coated, why use a dedicated leather care cleaner or conditioner, rather than a quality interior cleaner and protectant? I'm going to try and ask around about that one. Any detailing pros out there?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Everything you sit on is leather. Some of the bolsters are also leather depending on if they are in a high-wear area.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A4 Normal/Sports seats (w/ or w/o ventilation):
Front seats and two outer rear seats, plus side bolsters on the driver’s door side, are leather. The rest of the bolsters, headrests, door trim panels, middle armrest, and middle seat are leatherette.

Door armrests and sides of the center console are squishy leather-like plastic.

S4 Sport Seats (ventilated):
All seats, bolsters, head restraints and center armrest front in Milano leather; Door trim inserts in alcantara.

S4 Seats (S line):
All seats, bolsters, head restraints and center armrest front in fine Nappa leather; Door trim inserts in alcantara.

Door armrests and sides of the center console are optionally leatherette (w/stitching) with Warm weather package or the standalone Fine Nappa interior option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How Much of the Interior is Leather?