A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

iPhone bluetooth audio while connected to USB doesn't work

Old 10-24-2016, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone bluetooth audio while connected to USB doesn't work

Hi

I've given CarPlay a good try and now want to give direct bluetooth connection to the MMI a good try to figure out which I prefer.

I'm facing an issue which seems very odd and I hope it's not a "weird" Audi limitation. I can listen to music through Bluetooth in the Media function as long as my phone is not connected to the USB cable. As soon as I connect the cable to charge the phone the music stops and I get the following message on the screen

I initially thought the phone was still getting picked up by CarPlay but that is not the case and I have disabled the Audi Smart Phone from Connection Manager and deleted the car profile within the Phone's CarPlay option, so I'm not sure what the message means by "Playback will continue by cable"!!!!

Is this normal? How would I listen to music on my phone through the car speakers while charging my device if I don't want to use CarPlay?

TIA
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to connect the phone via USB, then be sure it is not also connected via Bluetooth. You can disable the bluetooth from your phone, or the MMI.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Even without CarPlay enabled, you can play music via the USB connection. I don't recall the exact labelling, but go into the 'Media' menu of the MMI and you should see your phone listed as an option/device.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, this is normal. As soon as you plug in the USB cable it disables Bluetooth audio and all audio gets routed over the USB connection. That's what this message means to say.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

That's the setup I'm using, BT is on all the time and that's how the phone connects to the MMI for the phone features (contacts/recent/missed/etc.). When I connect it to the car's USB it starts using USB for audio (the message only showed up once and then never again). The phone is configured in Connection Manager to not use CarPlay when plugged in to USB and audio starts playing almost right after the MMI boot screen disappears.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, unfortunately that's not how it's working for me thus far.

As soon as I connect the USB cable the audio stops. When I then change the source in Media to USB I get the following

Spotify is playing on the phone but there isn't any audio coming out of either the phone speakers or car. As soon as I remove the cable music blasts through the car speakers through bluetooth!!!

Is this limited to only play audio through local files (i.e. Not streamed content)?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, I've looked at the manual and it might be an issue with Spotify because the music is DRM protected.

I don't have any music files on my device, but I'll add some non DRM protected files and see if that works.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
Ok, I've looked at the manual and it might be an issue with Spotify because the music is DRM protected.

I don't have any music files on my device, but I'll add some non DRM protected files and see if that works.
I've actually made a similar experience that some audio isn't playing over USB. On one of the loaners I was driving, I was using Google Maps and wanted the instructions to play over the car's speakers, but with it plugged in to USB, there was no audio. I had to unplug it and then the instructions started playing through Bluetooth audio.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick update. I loaded a bunch of DRM free song tracks into my iPhone and as expected these played without any issues while connected to USB.

The WTF moment then happened when Spotify also played without a hitch as well. I haven't had time to figure out why Spotify started playing, but I assume it's 1 of 2 things

1-A bug with the MMI where it thinks there are no tracks (Even though Spotify is streaming) to play if you have 0 music tracks in your music library
2-I enabled the "Media center preparation" in the MMI Connect app. No idea if that helped.

I'll try to revert back to my initial configuration and report on what the cause is.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

There were posts Motortalk.de where it was mentioned that there needs tone at least 1 song on the device for streaming to work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone bluetooth audio while connected to USB doesn't work