A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Keyless entry/locking and washing the car

Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless entry/locking and washing the car

I just registered for this forum, and am hoping other owners can help me out with this. I hand washed my recently-purchased 2017 A4 for the first time the other weekend, and encountered some odd problems due to the keyless entry system. I had the key fob on me, and whenever spray from the hose would hit the sensors on the door the car would lock/unlock along with the regular chirping noise and lights.

Having read in the owner's manual that the keyless entry system requires the key fob be within four feet of the car, I placed the key fob in my garage about 30 feet away from where I was washing the car. That seemed to work at first, but then somehow the car managed to lock again while I continued to wash it, and then the alarm went off (presumably because the car registered a nudge while locked).

How does one avoid issues like this with the keyless entry/locking system when hand-washing the car?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Leave the key inside the house or take the key apart and put half of it in the car and keep the other half in your car (if your afraid of the car locking itself) or take the whole key and place it inside the car (it's not suppose to lock with the key inside). I had the same issue when I used to hand wash my car. Keyless entry :P
Old 03-27-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've often (accidentally) tried to lock my car with the key inside...it didn't work. It's smarter than its owner. If not sure, just run a test using both keys of course ;-)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I've grown to like the sound it make when it locks and unlocks.

But yeah, leave the key inside.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bad is to have someone unfamiliar with system lock the car by touching the handle/getting beep, then pull on handle to check if locked...often unlocking it again...and walking away.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the key in the center console while I am washing the car.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

There is a tsb that your dealer has that is supposed to fix that problem, so Audi is aware of it. I got the tsb done but haven't washed my car since then so I don't know how well it works.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by gguy
There is a tsb that your dealer has that is supposed to fix that problem, so Audi is aware of it. I got the tsb done but haven't washed my car since then so I don't know how well it works.
gguy, would you share the TSB number with us? If possible, please post a partial image of your service sheet containing the TSB number and the description. That way we can show to our dealers. Last time when the rain triggered flashing happened to my car, I took it to the dealer and they have no clue and sort of wouldn't believe the TSB till I showed them the service sheet image Cornell92 posted here.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

After unlocking the car, open a door and close it, then put the key 10+ feet away from the car. If the car unlocks from the water and you don't open a door afterwards it will re-lock within seconds. If you open a door, close the door and then move the key out of range the car will stay that way until you are done and the alarm will no go off.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the suggestions. Leaving the key inside sounds like it should do the trick. I'd tried unlocking the car then moving the fob away, but didn't open & close the door as AudiA4B6US suggested so perhaps that will work as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless entry/locking and washing the car