A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

The most annoying thing so far...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most annoying thing so far...

UPDATE: Apparently I'm completely off base here and it makes total sense to have a dedicated button to pop open a trunk that works when you're in your house, because unlocking the trunk or just walking up and opening it with your key in your pocket isn't sufficient. It also makes sense to not be able to turn this feature off even when there's other settings for trunk functionality. And finally, it makes total sense to dedicate an entire pocket or holster to this 2 inch key-ring fitted device to manage this apparently unavoidable and unsolvable problem.

...is that there seems to be no way to disable the trunk button on the FOB, so in the first week of having the car, I've already popped the trunk open 3 times without knowing it.

This is a serious issue, at least for me. I'm not going to change my ways and treat the FOB like it's a bomb about to go off. I'm going to put it in my pocket and forget about it, that's the point.

But it's a serious issue if you have to worry about the trunk key being inadvertently pressed down at any point in time, and there's no indication that anything happened.

If you unknowingly press the unlock button, so what, nothing opens and it automatically locks in like 30 secs. If you press the alarm button, you'll know it, but having to worry about the trunk being open all night in the rain, or your stuff being visible and easily stolen isn't a problem we should have to worry about.

I love the features of the key and how easy it is to auto unlock the trunk when you touch the lid handle, and the hands free option. These options render the button useless anyway, and it amazes me this has somehow slipped by unnoticed, considering how amazing and smart the engineering is in pretty much every other aspect.

Last edited by sixsence; 10-20-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I've never had that happen and I keep my key in my pocket 100% of the time. It goes in my pocket in the morning and It comes out when I unload my pockets when I get home. My car sits about 30 feet from where my desk is at work. What are you keeping in your pocket that is pressing the button? Also if the trunk button is being pressed why wouldn't the lock and/or unlock button be pressed as well?
Old 10-20-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1. The buttons on the FOB is being pressed accidentally without you knowing it. Tight pant pockets with other keys or things stuffed inside it are usually the suspects.

This is a serious issue, at least for me. I'm not going to change my ways and treat the FOB like it's a bomb about to go off. I'm going to put it in my pocket and forget about it, that's the point.
You'll need to change your ways on where and how you keep the FOB with you. I did with mine. Being stubborn and refusing to address the problem won't help you and your dilemma.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
I've never had that happen and I keep my key in my pocket 100% of the time.
I call bs on you claiming you've not once inadvertently had a button pressed while in your pocket, but more power to you. I guess you have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by the_duke
Also if the trunk button is being pressed why wouldn't the lock and/or unlock button be pressed as well?
I couldn't care less about hitting the unlock button. That doesn't open the car up to the outside elements and invite people in. It will also automatically lock after 30-45 seconds. There's not even an option to close the trunk automatically or remotely. Once it's open, it's open, and you will have no idea it happened.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
You'll need to change your ways on where and how you keep the FOB with you. I did with mine. Being stubborn and refusing to address the problem won't help you and your dilemma.
I'm just frustrated. It's a stupid problem to have to worry about. It's the first time I've had to worry about this with a car. The worst thing before was setting off the car alarm, but I always knew immediately when it happened.

And it's even worse because there's really no need for the button at all if you use the auto unlock and hands free features for opening the trunk.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my '17 A4 for six months now and never once had this happen to me... Until the other day when I turned around to look at my car only to see the trunk wide open. The fob was in my pocket and I was running around at my daughter's soccer practice, so at some point I must have hit the button. Fortunately I don't keep anything in my trunk and I was only about 20 yards away when it happened.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BiscuitEmbryo
I've had my '17 A4 for six months now and never once had this happen to me... Until the other day when I turned around to look at my car only to see the trunk wide open. The fob was in my pocket and I was running around at my daughter's soccer practice, so at some point I must have hit the button. Fortunately I don't keep anything in my trunk and I was only about 20 yards away when it happened.
That's the biggest problem.. it only has to happen once without you noticing you did it, and you could either have everything in it stolen, or rain poring over night, etc.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had it happen many times and this is the first fob I have ever had do this. It is a problem and they need to offer a way to cancel that button out but still allow the foot gesture opening. But it is a real problem.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm I've never had this problem. You have to hold the button a few moments before it opens. That's way better than many other cars I've had that open on a simple click. Other fobs I've had do a double click which is ok too. I was actually confused at first why it wouldn't open because it wasn't obvious to hold it, double click remotes usually have a 2x icon to make it obvious.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen twice shortly after we bought our BMW. I got a key fob cover which protects the buttons from being pushed accidentally. No issues since. The fob is a bit bulkier but worth the piece of mind. No issues with the fobs on our Q5 or A6 though.

Quick Reply: The most annoying thing so far...