A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New Wheels: OZ or Enkei?

Old 08-17-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels: OZ or Enkei?

Getting my A4 Avant on Friday and already planning on getting new wheels (and tires). Will stick to 18" for ride quality.

So, I shortlisted these two (very similar in appearance):
- OZ Superturismo LM 8x8.0 ET35 (already owned some on my S4)
- Enkei RS05 8x8.0 ET35

The Enkei website is very complete (Japanese precision) and one can easily find the weight: 8.9kg per rim. OZ website, not so complete (Italian): no weight info available (as if it did not matter...). The only info I could find was from TireRack with 10.4kg (23lbs). Which makes quite a difference (17% increase).

Any advice? The Enkei are also cheaper here in Japan.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you go with a 35 mm offset? Not so good in Hokkaido if you have lots of snow. Which EnkeI model are you looking at?

Last edited by yvantheterrible; 08-17-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll keep the stock wheels as Winter Wheels.
RS05 is what I am looking at (as written above).
Old 08-20-2016, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benoa
Getting my A4 Avant on Friday and already planning on getting new wheels (and tires). Will stick to 18" for ride quality.

- Enkei RS05 8x8.0 ET35

The Enkei website is very complete (Japanese precision) and one can easily find the weight: 8.9kg per rim. OZ website, not so complete (Italian): no weight info available (as if it did not matter...). The only info I could find was from TireRack with 10.4kg (23lbs). Which makes quite a difference (17% increase).

Check how heavy they are. Stock rims are 11.85kg. I would not do heavier.
BTW, offset is 40mm
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Finally got an answer from OZ:

The net weight of the Superturismo le Mans in 8.0 x 18 5x112 ET35 is arround 10.2 Kg.
Net means without painting. If you add the colour it should be arround 10.5Kg per wheel.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 487 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible
Why would you go with a 35 mm offset? Not so good in Hokkaido if you have lots of snow. Which EnkeI model are you looking at?
But Benoa is in Honshu, different island Not much snow in Tokyo.

You are right to raise the offset difference, but the wheel designs he is looking at will benefit from coming out a little for a more flush finish. But with an 18" wheel, I'd want some assurance that they will clear brakes/suspension bits, although I doubt that would be an issue on an A4.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

- Enkei RS05 8x8.0 ET35

I thought the RS05RR were minimum width 8.5?

If your A4 Avant has CDC adaptive dampers, I would get the OZ wheels. That is an ECU controlled active system, and changing the unsprung weight by too much MAY throw it out.

If you have passive dampers, I would absolutely go for the Enkei due to the lower unsprung weight and price advantage (assuming the RS05 is the flow formed RR version, and not some local spec.). The 105RR outside of Japan is a more expensive wheel than Superturismo LM.

The only wheel I have ever managed to break was an Enkei, but that was decades ago. OZ have a pretty serious motorsport reputation, and they are also an OEM supplier for several European manufacturers. But the roads in and around the Kanto plains are excellent or at least were when I lived there for a few years, so crashing into NYC style potholes and hoping your wheel is strong enough is probably not a factor.

Hope you post photos with whichever new wheels you go with.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnit
Check how heavy they are. Stock rims are 11.85kg. I would not do heavier.
BTW, offset is 40mm
Magnit, I don't mean to hijack this thread as I know OP wants 18's but do you know the weight of the stock 19 x 8 1/2 wheels?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
I thought the RS05RR were minimum width 8.5?

If you have passive dampers, I would absolutely go for the Enkei due to the lower unsprung weight and price advantage (assuming the RS05 is the flow formed RR version, and not some local spec.). The 105RR outside of Japan is a more expensive wheel than Superturismo LM.

Hope you post photos with whichever new wheels you go with.
Thanks for the tips ! I have passive dampers and am considering the RS05 (not the RR). As you said, the RR have a minimum width of 8.5, the RS05 go down to 8.0 (same as stock). Price difference is negligible in Japan and I prefer the look of the non-RR.

Link to the RS-05 specifications in Japanese
Enkei Website

Last edited by benoa; 08-24-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the tips ! I have passive dampers and am considering the RS05 (not the RR). As you said, the RR have a minimum width of 8.5, the RS05 go down to 8.0 (same as stock). Price difference is negligible in Japan and I prefer the look of the non-RR.

Link to the RS-05 specifications in Japanese
Enkei Website
I think the non-RR look better too, certainly for an A4 Avant, where the RR's spokes would look a little thin. I assumed at that weight, they must have been RR - I am surprised how light the standard RS05 is, not much difference to the RR. Good choice, then. Looking forward to pics if you go ahead.

Make sure whoever fits them uses the correct 75=>66.5 hub centric rings to ensure they mount them straight

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Wheels: OZ or Enkei?