A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Opti- Coat Pro pro vs Modesta BC-03

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OptiCoat Pro v Ceramic pro 9h v Bc-03

Is anybody on this site plan of sealing their care with a ceramic clear coat? If so, which one is better? Bc-03, ceramic pro 9h or Opti-Coat Pro? Research seems to indicate that the hydrophobic nature is even permissible for glass. And what price would it bee to have a professional engage in it? (I know the price of the sealant is about $55.00).

Last edited by james.bond; 07-23-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

CQuartz is another one. A detailer quoted me $1295. That includes claying the car, waxing and application of the treatment. You can purchase the solutions required on line for about $100. Since I am retired and have the time, I may do it myself.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jpieri4
CQuartz is another one. A detailer quoted me $1295. That includes claying the car, waxing and application of the treatment. You can purchase the solutions required on line for about $100. Since I am retired and have the time, I may do it myself.
Most of the cost of having a detailer apply any of the paint coatings is labor. All of the prep, claying, paint correction (to remove contaminants, swirls etc.) polishing takes hours.

If you do it yourself be sure to follow the instructions to the letter. The key to a successful application of the coating is to have to surfaces completely free of any dirt, oils, waxes, detailers etc. so the coating can bond to the surface of the paint.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't speak to the other brands, but the new ceramic Opti-Coat Pro Plus is outstanding. I had Opti-Coat Pro installed on my A6 four years ago and added the Plus layer last summer. The Plus layer adds a high gloss equal to that of the other products and no waxing necessary. Unlike others, Opti-Coat will last for many years without the need for a reapplication. Also, it's applied to my wheels which reduces brake dust accumulation considerably and like the rest of the car, they are much easier to clean. Opti-coat is not for glass, however, while I haven't tried it, Optimum also offers a glass protection product.

Opti-Coat Pro and Plus are detailer installed only - they are not available as a DIY. The basic Opti-Coat may still be available as a DIY product. It's a thinner coat and will not have the high gloss of the Plus layer. As previously mentioned, the prep is extensive and has to be done correctly or the product will fail.

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-24-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can someone explain this in a bit more detail for someone (me) who has no idea what this stuff is all about?

I typically get my car detailed once per year, usually right before the winter. I figure that keeps the paint protected from the salt and other elements during the winter, and should keep it looking good for the long term.

But now I just read a post above that says there is no need to wax if you get this coating. So just normal car washes then and the paint will stay protected? For how long? If this saves money in the long run, I would consider it. Or is there some other reason for doing this? Does it change (improve?) the look of the paint? Please explain. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very simply, a ceramic coating is like a hard outer shell adhered the paint's surface. It protects against UV, acid rain, bugs, bird droppings, tree sap and other environmental impacts that can damage or fade the paint over time. In the case of Opti-Coat Pro Plus, the material has a low surface tension that allows for less dirt to stick and makes it easier to clean. Also, the coating helps resist minor scratches, especially those awful paint swirls.

Once the car's surface is properly prepped to remove all of the surface dirt and other contaminants and the coating is applied, no waxing is necessary. In fact, due to the low surface tension, wax doesn't last very long anyway. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've not had a need to wax my car since the application, I just wash it. It looks as shiny and feels as slick as the day it was delivered four years ago.

Opti-Coat claims the coating will last for the "life of the car" unless it's removed with a polishing compound. Even if this claim is dubious, it should last at least another 5 years based on what I've experienced so far. Some other paint protection products like CQuartz will need a re-application after 2-3 years.

As a side note, I also have a full front installation of Xpel Ultimate film to prevent rock chips. Since the Xpel Ultimate has a clearcoat top layer like the car's paint, the Opti-Coat can be applied right on top of the film which is invisible. It also has self-healing properties. Not one single rock chip in the four years. I feel I have the best of both worlds - paint chip protection and paint damage protection with the added benefit of less frequent and easier cleaning. Best investments I've ever made to a car.

Opti-Coat Pro Coatings | Opti-Coat LLC
XPEL ULTIMATE - XPEL

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-24-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Can someone explain this in a bit more detail for someone (me) who has no idea what this stuff is all about?

I typically get my car detailed once per year, usually right before the winter. I figure that keeps the paint protected from the salt and other elements during the winter, and should keep it looking good for the long term.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aut.../#post24805308
But now I just read a post above that says there is no need to wax if you get this coating. So just normal car washes then and the paint will stay protected? For how long? If this saves money in the long run, I would consider it. Or is there some other reason for doing this? Does it change (improve?) the look of the paint? Please explain. Thanks!
Here is a picture of a Q5 from over on the Auto Detailing Discussion forum. This one was prepped and a ceramic coating applied by a detailer. If you look around and search over there you'll find some additional information on coatings etc.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aut.../#post24805308
Old 07-24-2016, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does a car with the Opti-Coat need to be washed any differently from a car without it?

One of the nice perks of buying my car from the dealership where I did is that they offer free lifetime weekly car washes. I have a very bad back, and so washing the car myself is not something that is easy for me. The dealership is only 5 minutes away, and so I plan to have them wash it whenever I have a chance to stop by.

If I was to get the Opti-Coat put on my car, could I still have them wash it or does it now need a special kind of wash? (FYI, they do wash it by hand, it's not taken through an automatic car wash)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Eric5273
Does a car with the Opti-Coat need to be washed any differently from a car without it?

One of the nice perks of buying my car from the dealership where I did is that they offer free lifetime weekly car washes. I have a very bad back, and so washing the car myself is not something that is easy for me. The dealership is only 5 minutes away, and so I plan to have them wash it whenever I have a chance to stop by.

If I was to get the Opti-Coat put on my car, could I still have them wash it or does it now need a special kind of wash? (FYI, they do wash it by hand, it's not taken through an automatic car wash)
No, the car can be washed normally. The only thing I don't like about having the dealer wash my car are those kids with their coarse, dirty towels. Also, some dealers use brush/slap washes which is not a good idea for any finish. The coating will help with the towel swirls and other junk that touches the car but still...I tell them not to wash my car when it's in for service. I've had three back operations in the last 2 1/2 years with another one coming this fall so my car washing days are pretty limited. I mostly use brushless car washes and have not had any issues.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
No, the car can be washed normally. The only thing I don't like about having the dealer wash my car are those kids with their coarse, dirty towels. Also, some dealers use brush/slap washes which is not a good idea for any finish. The coating will help with the towel swirls and other junk that touches the car but still...I tell them not to wash my car when it's in for service. I've had three back operations in the last 2 1/2 years with another one coming this fall so my car washing days are pretty limited. I mostly use brushless car washes and have not had any issues.
Agree 100%.

You have taken the extra step in taking care of your car by getting it coated. Most dealers and car wash places don't use clean towels, actually towels need high quality as well as pristine, not just clean. Most chemicals used are way too harsh, IMHO, not to have an effect eventually on wax, sealants and coatings. Unless your back is so bad, take a look at this mop stick; it will prevent having to bend down and/or reach over to wash the roof.
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...fType=&from=fn

Quick Reply: Opti- Coat Pro pro vs Modesta BC-03