A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Quattro Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quattro Ultra

Does anyone know which year Audi will introduce the new quattro system to the A4? Apparently it's going to be in the new 2017 Allroad, and spread to the rest of the models eventually. If there is anyone who wants permanent full time awd, you better buy now because the new Ultra system is a front drive based automatic part time system that disconnects the rear axel. The system is said to save a bit of gas, but it's not the simple system we are accustom to. There are lots of sensors, clutches, and other things needed to make it work. All this does is add complexity, and more opportunities for expensive repairs and failures. As we all know front drive introduces less than ideal handling characteristics. The new system uses the braking system to help mask some of that. To be fair, BMW and Cadillac use awd systems that disconnect an axel, but at least in a performance car fashion they disconnect the front axel, leaving you with the superior handling characteristics of rwd. With the exception of the A3, the quattro name has always stood for permanent full time. What a way to tarnish a name!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

In S mode Quattro will always be active based on what has been written so far. Nevertheless I agree on the disadvantage of a more complex system with more components to fail. Nothing has been posted yet about what model will follow the Allroad as the next model to get Quattro Ultra.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

If this Ultra quattro-lite system propagates through the Audi lineup, there would be no reason for me to consider the brand. I now live in area in which AWD is only a luxury, so I would move to RWD if quattro becomes part-time AWD.

Last edited by JD15; 04-02-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
In S mode Quattro will always be active based on what has been written so far. Nevertheless I agree on the disadvantage of a more complex system with more components to fail. Nothing has been posted yet about what model will follow the Allroad as the next model to get Quattro Ultra.
From what i read, all putting the car in sport or dynamic will do, is just make the clutches close sooner. The car still will disconnect the rear axel when it thinks it's not needed. The cars will now go from having 60% of the torque to the rear to less than 50% unless there is an extreme situation. Without a center diff, the inside rear wheel will scrub the pavement in any kind of turn. If it's scrubbing, it's not truly griping well, and it's causing excessive wear on the rubber. To stop that, the clutches will need to slip to allow for axel speed differences, putting wear on the clutches, and by default if the clutches have to slip, they aren't transmitting the full power to the rear.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

A4 allroad > Audi Canada

It's been confirmed that new Allroad is indeed using the maligned quattro Ultra system.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hopefully the Audi faithful will go up in arms vote with their dollars, and teach Audi a hard lesson. Audi can't tamper with quattro in such a way, without angering those that faithfully buy their product. If they drive away those of us who are more performance minded, all they will have left or will attract are those who don't care about or like performance characteristics, and just want the name. Those are the people that could really destroy the brand, by demanding that the brand become something it's not. Before long the brand could become some floaty boaty German wannabe, and loose it's German soul.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

There are a lot of benefits to this new system, such as the ability to send 100% of the torque to the front or rear, and fuel economy savings. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference if driving the two systems back to back.

This is a good video that explains everything: https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/audimediatv/video/quattro-with-ultra-technology-animation-1552
Old 05-10-2016, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems to me that it's premature to grab the torches and pitchforks just yet. The design of the new ultra system is designed to improve fuel consumption and until there are cars on the road, driven and reviewed, wait and see. Aud is unlikely to destroy the major thing that has made them unique over the years. Remember when Audi switched to the 6 cyl sc engines from 8 cyl in some S models and the 8 cyl engine that default to 4 cyl when cruising - these were met with much disdain until they were released and shown to work just fine.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I highly doubt Audi would introduce a system that performs worse than it's current cars. An obvious and discernible step down in handling, grip, and ride would ruin a company. Not going to happen here.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately, with Audi/VW's track record on new technologies, I'm not convinced. The 1.8t had oil sludge issues due to placing the oil plumbing to close to the manifold, cooking the oil, and don't even get me started about the direct injection, and the cam follower problem in the 2.0t. Mine failed just inside the 120,000 mile warranty extension. By the time the computer threw a code, the damage was pretty catastrophic. Everything from the head up had to be replaced. Because of the age and mileage, the repair would have approached half of the value of the car had I had to pay for it. So I'm really leery about going from tried and true differentials and drive shafts, to clutches, electronics, and other components. Besides the stuff I read says a maybe 5% improvement in economy which can vary depending on driving style. Thats about 1.5 mpg if you are lucky. Audi already admits that the new Ultra system will increase the price of the car, offsetting some of your money savings from the small mileage gain. And if the system is like most multi plate clutch systems, it won't be maintenance free, and will require expensive periodic oil changes like the Haldex and other similar systems further eating into any savings from the small mileage gain.

Quick Reply: Quattro Ultra