A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Rain Triggering Hazard Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rain Triggering Hazard Lights?

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. I have a Prestige, 06/2016 build date. The past few weeks, when it rains, I will look out into the parking lot at work and see that my car hazard lights are blinking. The first time it happened was during a severe thunderstorm so I thought the thunder set off the security system. But only the lights flash, with no horn. But since then it has rained a number of times (I'm in south Florida and it's the summer) and even just a steady rain, not a severe storm, sets the hazard lights flashing. Unlocking the car stops the lights, but then a few minutes later they start flashing again.

I emailed my dealer a few weeks ago and they sent a service ticket to Germany. Yesterday after watching it happen five times in 25 minutes, I sent an email to my salesperson saying that I was going to make an appointment to come in for service, even if they haven't heard back from Audi. He called me back to say that they have seen the same issue on some of their A4s on the lot as well. At least I'm not alone I guess. I've got a service appointment tomorrow morning, but I don't even know if they know what to look for.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Did the dealer fix something? Thanks for your help.
The following users liked this post:
Sherri677 (12-16-2022)
Old 09-14-2016, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is related, but I've noticed that when I'm washing off my car and the key is in my pocket near the vehicle, the water will trigger the unlocking/locking sequence on the car when it touches the sensors on the door handle. There might be a chance that the sensors are being overwhelmed by the rain, but in your case the key isn't next to the door... so I'm not sure. Is there an extra key inside the car?

-Watson
Old 09-14-2016, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've also never really read up on the alarm system. Is there a chance that there's a warning sequence for someone trying to open the car without a key which would trigger just the hazard lights?

-Watson
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
I don't know if this is related, but I've noticed that when I'm washing off my car and the key is in my pocket near the vehicle, the water will trigger the unlocking/locking sequence on the car when it touches the sensors on the door handle. There might be a chance that the sensors are being overwhelmed by the rain, but in your case the key isn't next to the door... so I'm not sure. Is there an extra key inside the car?

-Watson
Interesting thought with the door handle sensor, because I have been trying to think how I may recreate the issue. Maybe I'll hit the door handles with water from the hose. No, my spare key is at home, not in the car, and my desk is out of range of the car. (So I get to go out in the rain to unlock it and stop the flashing. Until I got smart and used the iPhone app.)
Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
I've also never really read up on the alarm system. Is there a chance that there's a warning sequence for someone trying to open the car without a key which would trigger just the hazard lights?

-Watson
I may have missed it, but there is next to nothing in the owner's manual about the security system. I scoured the MMI for some kind of security or rain sensor setting as well, and I didn't find anything.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've been having heavy rain where i live for the past few days and I haven't seen this.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornell92
I may have missed it, but there is next to nothing in the owner's manual about the security system. I scoured the MMI for some kind of security or rain sensor setting as well, and I didn't find anything.
Hit the panic button on your keyfob to see what happens when someone enters your car when it's locked. Or reach through an open window after locking and unlock from the inside.

As to the hazard lights activating when it's raining, I would look to a wire connection or switch somewhere that is getting wet.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update

The guys at the Audi dealership spent a good amount of time last Thursday attempting to replicate the issue, but were unsuccessful. Last Friday at work it rained, and like clockwork, there go the emergency lights flashing! It's really incredible. I "watered" my car in my driveway for 20 minutes on Saturday with no luck either. Somehow mother nature is the only way to get this phenomenon to occur.

I did find a "rain sensor" selection in the MMI on Saturday, under "Driver Assistance", so I toggled that off, and we'll see what that does. For now I won't have the ability to have the automatic rain sensing wipers, which I can live without anyway.

Not the most exciting thread, but I'm just keeping it updated in case someone else has the same issue in the future.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Those fancy Prestige models just come with their own set of issues, LOL.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default You are not alone

Happened to me yesterday....first time I had my car out in the rain. The hazards went off 3 times in a two hour span. The car was parked and locked. It was dark outside with a steady rain. It was in a parking lot with 2 cars next to it and a barrier in front of it. I I have an appointment for next week at dealer. I doubt they will be able to replicate it. It has to be rain related but it rained in the afternoon but not as heavy and there were no issues.

Quick Reply: Rain Triggering Hazard Lights?