A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Rain Triggering Hazard Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi2589
I don't have mine yet but have been doing a lot of research on it. I found that on the driver's door, there is a button on the side. That is supposed to be an on/off button for the alarm. It should be easy to test by putting your window down and locking the door. Then try opening the door from the inside. That should trip the alarm and you can see if that button had any affect.
Technically, the door handle button, as part of the the advanced key system, is for locking the car which also sets the alarm. Pulling on the door handle will unlock the car and defeat the alarm. Both require the key fob be within a few feet. Once locking with the door button, you can reach in through an open window and open the door to activate the alarm (as I mentioned in post #7)

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-23-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Technically, the door handle button, as part of the the advanced key system, is for locking the car which also sets the alarm. Pulling on the door handle will unlock the car and defeat the alarm. Both require the key fob be within a few feet. Once locking with the door button, you can reach in through an open window and open the door to activate the alarm (as I mentioned in post #7)
I am not talking about the lock button on the handle. There is a button on the inside jab of the door. Towards the bottom half. That would allow the alarm to be disabled, even after locking the car. Here is the video I saw that mentions it

Last edited by Audi2589; 09-23-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

I didn't go through the whole video. Must be something new on the B9.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I didn't go through the whole video. Must be something new on the B9.
No need to go through the whole video. He only talks about it in the beginning, when he first opens the door. This should help the person asking about disabling the alarm since it isn't mentioned in the manual.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi2589
I am not talking about the lock button on the handle. There is a button on the inside jab of the door. Towards the bottom half. That would allow the alarm to be disabled, even after locking the car.
It's not accessible after closing the door. You press it before closing if the alarm (at least interior and towing if that is available) shall not be activating the next time you lock the vehicle.

But the problem with the activated hazard light doesn't seem to be a triggered alarm because then the siren should also activate. Of course it can give info for failure investigation if disabling the alarm prevents it from happening.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audi8k
It's not accessible after closing the door. You press it before closing if the alarm (at least interior and towing if that is available) shall not be activating the next time you lock the vehicle.

But the problem with the activated hazard light doesn't seem to be a triggered alarm because then the siren should also activate. Of course it can give info for failure investigation if disabling the alarm prevents it from happening.
vance12 asked if there was a way to turn off the alarm to see it it was related. That's why I mentioned it. I wasn't implying that the hazard lights coming on has to do with alarm system. Just showing him that there is a way to turn off the alarm, even though it's not mentioned in the manual. When I said it allowed the alarm to be disabled even after locking the car, I wasn't referring to the button being accessible with the door closed. I was referring to the the alarm being off even after locking since locking the car is what turns on the alarm. If you press that button, then lock your car, the alarm would not turn on.

Last edited by Audi2589; 09-24-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for Security System Info

Thanks guys. I didn't even know about that button. So you helped me discover it on my car. While the horn doesn't sound, just the lights, who knows? I'm trying the rain sensor off for now. I'll just try one thing at a time. I haven't gotten any rain since I turned it off, so the jury is still out. It it still does it with the rain sensor off, I'll try leaving the alarm off with this button. Even if that doesn't solve the issue, it's just more info for Audi about what doesn't solve the issue.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mdwcreative
I don't know if this is related, but I've noticed that when I'm washing off my car and the key is in my pocket near the vehicle, the water will trigger the unlocking/locking sequence on the car when it touches the sensors on the door handle. There might be a chance that the sensors are being overwhelmed by the rain, but in your case the key isn't next to the door... so I'm not sure. Is there an extra key inside the car?

-Watson
Yes, I have noticed this as well.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default A4 2017 lights flashing in rain

same thing happening to me. live in florida and this happened during a heavy rain storm the other day. Tonight, a neighbor knocked on the door to tell me my car was "freaking out". Lights flashing, it is raining, unlock stops, but starts again. will also turn off the rain sensor for windshield.

will be interested to see if Audi offers a solution.
Old 09-28-2016, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like a few other people said, mine also does that while in a self-spray car wash.

I believe that water/rain causes it to triggers the sensors on the door handle. I also know that in certain cases water can amplify radio signals, so the fob may be out of range in a normal situation, but the rain amplified the signal and caused it to be in range.

Quick Reply: Rain Triggering Hazard Lights?