A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Rattle noise from sub - base speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Rattle noise from sub - base speakers

Does anyone else have a rattling voice like something is loose when the sub plays a particularly deeper base in a song?

By no means is the speaker turned up high. Very normal listening volume, low enough to have a conversation with someone in the back seat.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting this from the sub in the dash. Thought it only happened when the volume was up high but found out that it is just with really deep bass. Have it booked in to check it out and a few other problems tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup! Mine rattles too. Base stereo. When I took it in for my vibration complaint they tried to fix that rattle too. It's better but not completely gone. I'll look at my service papers and see what they did.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The deck in the back is made of relatively thin sheet metal. My subwoofer started vibrating the deck within the first 50 miles. I was shocked...

People who have seen my comments in other threads know my story – I replaced all the speakers in the car with decent (not exotic) aftermarket speakers from companies like Pioneer. My new subwoofer is a Kicker 40CWD102 10". I don't have any stock in Kicker or any relatives who work there. I'm just sayin' that it is nearly perfect...

My dealer used Stinger damping sheet to keep the deck from vibrating. It works great and isn't expensive. The vibration is a design flaw IMHO, not a flaw in individual cars.

FWIW, there is only one subwoofer in the car – the back left over the trunk. There is no subwoofer in front or anywhere else.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a vibration today from the rear deck. Oh Boy.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by emmgee
The deck in the back is made of relatively thin sheet metal. My subwoofer started vibrating the deck within the first 50 miles. I was shocked...

People who have seen my comments in other threads know my story – I replaced all the speakers in the car with decent (not exotic) aftermarket speakers from companies like Pioneer. My new subwoofer is a Kicker 40CWD102 10". I don't have any stock in Kicker or any relatives who work there. I'm just sayin' that it is nearly perfect...

My dealer used Stinger damping sheet to keep the deck from vibrating. It works great and isn't expensive. The vibration is a design flaw IMHO, not a flaw in individual cars.

FWIW, there is only one subwoofer in the car – the back left over the trunk. There is no subwoofer in front or anywhere else.
This is good to know. So you basically just swapped out all teh speakers and the sub but didn't change anything else and you've got a much better sound system running?

What did this run you? Care to provide more details please? I was thinking of doing a sound system upgrade myself as well.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
This is good to know. So you basically just swapped out all teh speakers and the sub but didn't change anything else and you've got a much better sound system running?

What did this run you? Care to provide more details please?
The receipts I have just say "Pioneer" for the speakers and Kicker (detailed above) for the subwoofer. I think it wound up being around $1800, maybe a little less.

I went to a local mom-and-pop car stereo store near me that was rated highly in Yelp. That's what I recommend. Those guys knew their products and had a good demo room that helped me decide.

They told me (and one other local store told me) that you can't add after market electronics to the stock sound system because it uses fiber optics somehow. I would love to hear if someone had some success with something. But I'll say this – just the speaker upgrade made the sound system much, much better.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had this issue and took it in to the dealer. They seemed a little annoyed but agreed to look at it.

Turns out it is a known issue. They fixed it under warranty.

( I believe they just installed some padding )

Last edited by Cooper Brubacher; 01-18-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Grocery bag hook could be the issue

Originally Posted by munsabin
Does anyone else have a rattling voice like something is loose when the sub plays a particularly deeper base in a song?

By no means is the speaker turned up high. Very normal listening volume, low enough to have a conversation with someone in the back seat.
I own a brand new 2019 A3 Technik S-Line fully optioned made in Germany - Canadian model. Had that same rattle noise. Looked around. Everything looked normal. Noticed the grocery bag hood mounted near the sub. Gave it a good yank and heard a click. The rattle never came back since.

On another note you cannot use your own SIM card in a Canadian modelled Audi A3. You are stuck with the AT&T esim preinstalled. It does allow you to use your cell phone instead for data usage with the MMI. You can only use the hot spot in the car though with the esim. Audiconnect works perfectly with the data on my phone and without the esim. AT&T pricing for the esim is roughly $250 usd for a year and that gives you 10gig a year. You heard right - a year not a month. Insane!

Audi Canada advised me that they looking to secure plans with Canadian based cellular carriers. AT&T advised that Bell provides their AT&T service in Canada.

As a new Canadian owner they give you 1gig free to try for a month and that’s your trial period. The network was slow and unimpressive. Just use you cell phone for the data usage in the MMI. Works faster and for no additional expense.

Back to the rattle - give that grocery hook a good yank. You might hear a click or something and that might solve your issue. Sure solved mine.

Picture below of grocery bag hook:

Old 10-30-2019, 03:51 AM
scutustudios.com

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The quality of the default speakers (no B&O) is pretty bad! I already swapped the driver door bass speaker after 2 years for rattling as well! Good that the new speaker was relatively cheap - $60. If the rattle doesn't go away no matter what you try, consider to replace the speaker for a brand new one. I think it's a job you can easily do with a trim removal tool and a screwdriver.
Good luck!