A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

To those coming from/considering BMW's

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 04:15 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Christo123
I do wish the exterior of the A4 was more exciting. I find the A4 exterior design very conservative bordering boring in appearance, of course in my opinion.
But I think that's what at least some of us find so desirable about Audis. There's a tasteful, timeless, understated elegance to Audis that's often lacking in some other cars that try too hard to make a fashion statement and get noticed. If cars were clothing, the Audi is like the conservative suit from a European designer, paired with a solidly professional, unoffensive, conservative tie and a crisp white or light blue patterned dress shirt - the type of outfit that doesn't draw attention to itself, and to the extent it does, establishes the wearer as a mature, adult, confident professional.

If you want exciting non-boring appearance, get a Cadillac ATS. Or if you want even more excitement, perhaps Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has a Dodge Charger or Challenger with your name on it...
Old 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ATS could be nice, but every time I look at one, it looks just like a Chevy Cruze to me. The interior is quite boring on both Chevy and Cadillac. Wouldn't bought a new A4 if not for the redesign.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mlingama
The ATS could be nice, but every time I look at one, it looks just like a Chevy Cruze to me. The interior is quite boring on both Chevy and Cadillac. Wouldn't bought a new A4 if not for the redesign.
I'm in the same boat. Most other interiors in this segment just felt horrendously outdated in comparison to the A4. I came from a 2014 Lexus IS which at the time I think had the sleekest interior in the segment, but 3 model years later and this A4 is blowing it out of the water.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do wish the exterior of the A4 was more exciting. I find the A4 exterior design very conservative bordering boring in appearance, of course in my opinion. However the technology and new engine/drive train are fantastic. I love the interior design and the sport seat are amazingly comfortable.
I felt the same way before buying but after living with the car for a couple of months, you appreciate the devil is in the details:
  • clamshell hood integrated into the body line carried all the way around the car (no visible seam around the hood)
  • S-Line features
  • lights - especially the rear turn signals,
  • body mounted mirrors,
  • the way the door handles lift

Things people may not notice until pointed out usually followed by a "cool!".
Old 08-27-2016, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a glacier white P+. Last week I was stopped at a light in Leesburg, VA and a guy driving a Jag pulled up next to me and rolled down his window. He said, "Man, you have a beautiful car. I especially love the wheels." FWIW.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

The A4 is definitely "boring" in design by today's standards, when you look at something like a Lexus IS350 or an Infiniti Q50, but it is attractive without having to resort to "look at me" curves and lines that are built into the design. I think it will age quite well, as most of the older Audis have.

I compare the difference between my S5 and the new Lexus RC350. I love the smooth, timeless lines of my S5 but just can't quite feel the same about the Lexus, with all its contrived lines and fake add-on strakes. I'll have to admit, I do like the new Infiniti Q60, even though some of its lines are contrived as well.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
The A4 is definitely "boring" in design by today's standards, when you look at something like a Lexus IS350 or an Infiniti Q50, but it is attractive without having to resort to "look at me" curves and lines that are built into the design. I think it will age quite well, as most of the older Audis have.

I compare the difference between my S5 and the new Lexus RC350. I love the smooth, timeless lines of my S5 but just can't quite feel the same about the Lexus, with all its contrived lines and fake add-on strakes. I'll have to admit, I do like the new Infiniti Q60, even though some of its lines are contrived as well.
To be fair, every line in a car is contrived. Audi's are only "timeless" because they've been using similar ones for a while and slowly changing/updating them with new models.

That said, I do like the way the 2017 A4 looks, but there was a certain sexiness to the exterior on my 2014 IS350 F-Sport that I miss.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think what you guys are hinting at is there is a difference between "fancy" and "elegant". Fancy stands out, while elegant looks nice but blends.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost all cars are overly designed today towards the sport side, I coined this period as the "over sportization period" yes please quote me on this.

So many cars have fake dual exhausts, exaggerated ground effects, front, rear and sides. Grills and front spoilers are the new overly exaggerated designs.

This new Audi is a definitely a conservative design that is a little retro in nature to when cars were designed with class and maturity rather than overt sportiness and sexiness
Old 08-31-2016, 08:49 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Almost all cars are overly designed today towards the sport side, I coined this period as the "over sportization period" yes please quote me on this.

So many cars have fake dual exhausts, exaggerated ground effects, front, rear and sides. Grills and front spoilers are the new overly exaggerated designs.

This new Audi is a definitely a conservative design that is a little retro in nature to when cars were designed with class and maturity rather than overt sportiness and sexiness
While I agree with everything you say, two observations:
1. I think one reason cars are increasingly designed towards the sport side is that the 'non-sport' buyer in North America has been increasingly going to crossovers. Just as the full-sized body-on-frame SUV killed the full-sized body-on-frame V8 RWD domestic sedan, crossovers have increasingly been replacing sedans in many buyers' preferences.

2. The exaggerated grille trend... I believe (on the car side) started with the 2003 Audi Nuvolari quattro concept. Then the trend spread...

Quick Reply: To those coming from/considering BMW's