A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Turning off Auto Start/Stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Turning off Auto Start/Stop?

Does anybody know if this feature can be permanently disabled? I turn it off, but the next time I use the car it comes back on.

The cheat sheet that came with my manual says that you can turn it off, but the next time you start the car, the feature will "recycle." Recycle? I'd like to throw it in the trash!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't look like it. It might be possible to do it programmatically, but it will probably be a while before someone figures that out.

You can manage it better by how hard you depress the brake pedal. Push lightly and it keeps running, but push hard and it shuts off. Not a solution, but it works for me.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

My guess is that it is somehow programmable. In an A6 2.0t, it will stay off, but in an A6 3.0t it will "recycle".
Old 04-28-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, I don't know what I did, but somehow I have turned off the Auto Start/Stop feature ... maybe permanently.

When I first got into my car this morning, when I stopped at my first intersection, my engine shut down. Oh yeah, I forgot about that, I thought to myself. But I decided to leave it on for the day, just to see if I could get used to it.

I think at some point before I reached my destination, I shut it off. Well, about an hour and a half later I came back to my car, got in and drove. I block away I stopped at a red light, and my engine didn't shut down. In fact, for the rest of the way home, the engine never shut down, even though I hadn't turned Auto Start/Stop off, and the button wasn't lit.

Earlier in the day, I did remember BisquitEmbryo's post where he said that if you brake slowly, the engine will stay on. So I tried that and it worked. But on my way home, I was braking at various intensity, and the engine never shut off.

Anyway, I have another trip to make today so I'll see what happens.

Last edited by A4Driver; 04-28-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Well, I don't know what I did, but somehow I have turned off the Auto Start/Stop feature ... maybe permanently.

When I first got into my car this morning, when I stopped at my first intersection, my engine shut down. Oh yeah, I forgot about that, I thought to myself. But I decided to leave it on for the day, just to see if I could get used to it.

I think at some point before I reached my destination, I shut it off. Well, about an hour and a half later I came back to my car, got in and drove. I block away I stopped at a red light, and my engine didn't shut down. In fact, for the rest of the way home, the engine never shut down, even though I hadn't turned Auto Start/Stop off, and the button wasn't lit.

Earlier in the day, I did remember BisquitEmbryo's post where he said that if you brake slowly, the engine will stay on. So I tried that and it worked. But on my way home, I was braking at various intensity, and the engine never shut off.

Anyway, I have another trip to make today so I'll see what happens.
Mine will do that on drives, a lot of the time it won't turn off if you don't depress the brake enough or if you double press the brake.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Besides the brake pedal pressure, the stop/start will not activate under certain conditions like engine temp, energy loads, etc. Not sure if this will work on the new A4 but earlier models can be changed to default to off at startup using VCDS Vag-Com:

STG 09
Login 20113
Adaption channel 34 > reduce by 4 (effected Bit 2 to 0) = stop start per default after each ignition on to off
Old 04-28-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Start stop will revert to on after each ignition cycle. It is no longer last mode like in some of the older models. As others have said it can be modulated via the brake pedal.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adg44
Start stop will revert to on after each ignition cycle. It is no longer last mode like in some of the older models. As others have said it can be modulated via the brake pedal.
Is this required by law or something?
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Williams
Is this required by law or something?
Not in NA. By defaulting to on, it's designed to help Audi achieve their published EPA mpg numbers. (Not something to be completely believed these days).
Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

There is no credit for start stop if it is last mode and not default on.

Quick Reply: Turning off Auto Start/Stop?