A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Video of Traffic Jam Assist

Old 06-21-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video of Traffic Jam Assist

I made a video of Traffic Jam Assist in action. For the first part of the video, I'm trying to touch the steering wheel as little as possible. Towards the end of the video, I drive like I normally do with my hand lightly on the steering wheel.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice video! Interesting to see that the 4-zone climate buttons are laid out differently in the A4 vs the Q7.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, thanks for the video, it's very informative for those of us considering spending the extra on the drivers assistance package.
Just one question for you:
The lane keep assist seems to disengage somewhat often. It appears at one point you change lanes and it turns off, and at another point the shadows seem to do it. If the LCA disengages for whatever reason, does traffic jam assist also disengage, and you have to wait for the car to pick up the lanes again before the traffic jam assist comes back on? If so, do you find it to be an issue?
Thanks
Old 06-21-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alan_audi
Hi, thanks for the video, it's very informative for those of us considering spending the extra on the drivers assistance package.
Just one question for you:
The lane keep assist seems to disengage somewhat often. It appears at one point you change lanes and it turns off, and at another point the shadows seem to do it. If the LCA disengages for whatever reason, does traffic jam assist also disengage, and you have to wait for the car to pick up the lanes again before the traffic jam assist comes back on? If so, do you find it to be an issue?
Thanks
When any steering function kicks off, then all steering function is lost. I don't find it to be a big problem in my Q7. Doesn't happen that often as long as you keep making tiny steering inputs (Audi calls it counter-steer) fairly often.

BTW, when you change lanes, if you use the turn signal, it turns off temporarily to allow you to make the lane change without it fighting you. If you don't use the signal, then it warns you (side assist lights flash, HUD lines flash red, and steering wheel vibrates) and fights you as you cross the line.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alan_audi
If the LCA disengages for whatever reason, does traffic jam assist also disengage, and you have to wait for the car to pick up the lanes again before the traffic jam assist comes back on? If so, do you find it to be an issue?
Thanks
Yes, if it loses the lane detection, then the traffic jam assist is off. It chimes at you when that happens. However the ACC is still active, so it's still keeping your distance from the car ahead, but you have to steer.

I don't really find that to be an issue. That's why I just always keep a hand lightly on the steering wheel. If the automatic steering disengages, then it's a not a big deal to just keep steering myself.

I think the traffic jam assist is most useful for handling the stops and starts of a traffic jam. Having is steer is a nice bonus, but not really critical.

So I just always apply gentle steering pressure. That has two benefits: 1) I'm always putting the car where I want it, and 2) the car knows I'm awake and doesn't chime at me to take over steering every 15 seconds.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great demo video! This is exactly what I've been looking for. It's rather unfortunate that you have to touch the wheel every 15 seconds when going so slow. That being said, I think it's good enough for me and would pick one up if there was local inventory. Would putting slight downward force on one side of the wheel be sufficient? Or do you actually have to jerk the wheel a bit every 15?
Old 06-23-2016, 06:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised it worked without cars on the sides. From what I read it sounded like it would only work if surrounded by cars on all sides.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by OhSee Dee
Great demo video! This is exactly what I've been looking for. It's rather unfortunate that you have to touch the wheel every 15 seconds when going so slow. That being said, I think it's good enough for me and would pick one up if there was local inventory. Would putting slight downward force on one side of the wheel be sufficient? Or do you actually have to jerk the wheel a bit every 15?
It takes only small "counter torque" inputs every few seconds.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
It takes only small "counter torque" inputs every few seconds.
Yeah, exactly this. Just a small "counter torque". Even just holding light resistance against the automated steering is enough to count as an input. The steering wheel doesn't even have to move.

That's why this works (but please don't do this).
Old 06-23-2016, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OhSee Dee
Also, I'm pleasantly surprised it worked without cars on the sides. From what I read it sounded like it would only work if surrounded by cars on all sides.
I think it only tracks 1-2 cars in front of you. I don't think cars to the sides matter at all. It definitely works even on one-lane roads.

I believe what's required for Congestion Assist to be available is:
  1. Lanes detected
  2. Cars ahead of you detected
  3. Less than 40 mph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Video of Traffic Jam Assist