A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What are the USA Spec differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the USA Spec differences?

I've been reading and watching videos of the new A4 for a long time and I just assumed every cool feature I saw would be available in the USA spec version. I just read somewhere that the automatic parking feature is not available in the US. Is this true? Anyone know why? Any other differences I should know about? I was planning on getting a prestige with every option, so I just assumed I'd get everything. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, that's true. Even the one available elsewhere is not fully automated, just assisted. You still have to change gear and control acceleration and breaking. Like you, I thought every feature available would be on the US Spec only to realize there is no Parking Assist or Matrix LED headlights available here. This means we don't get a sequenced front turn signal either. Also, the way the rear turn signal is displayed is different with the middle part flashing while the top part is sequenced. We don't get the S-Line debossing in the sport seats either. We do get the "parking system plus" which has front and rear sensors with the top view camera.

Still, I ordered a Prestige with every option sans the "Comfort adaptive damping suspension" since I ordered the Sports package and want the sport suspension - mainly for the aesthetics of the lower ride. I don't plan to take it to the track or anything, but I've had it on my last two A4s and don't mind the ride, but do like the look.

Last edited by Nullman; 05-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Nullman
We do get the "parking system plus" which has front and rear sensors with the top view camera..
Prestige has the top view cameras with front and rear sensors by default and it's working pretty good.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by OhSee Dee
I've been reading and watching videos of the new A4 for a long time and I just assumed every cool feature I saw would be available in the USA spec version. I just read somewhere that the automatic parking feature is not available in the US. Is this true? Anyone know why? Any other differences I should know about? I was planning on getting a prestige with every option, so I just assumed I'd get everything. Thanks.
This has been true for many years with Audi when it come to features unavailable for N.A. It is mostly due to marketing/competitive pricing reasons and regulatory requirements. A prime example is engine selections - in the ROW, each model has several engine options where in the NAR, it is only one or at most three per model (that's assuming the diesel engines continue). This is a result of U.S. customer preference (i.e. the discontinuance of the Avants and manual transmissions) and the cost to pass regulatory approvals. There is also a dealer inventory factor of having to stock additional, multiple options.

Where most enthusiasts would be happy to pay for some of these missing features, Audi has determined the general buying public would either not care or not be willing to pay higher prices for their inclusion. So each year Audi makes decisions to leave out certain feature options.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Matrix system was denied by the US Government because they want a separate system for low and high beam. Instead they have "high beam assist"

I assumed the Parking System assist would be added , it exist for the Tesla's cars in the USA, I would assume semi autonomous driving would be denied more then self assist parking. The A4 has the sensors for self parking, but the software has been removed. I would assume to blame the US government for that.

The Tesla last year via an software update had self driving and self parking features added to their cars. Tesla's self parking is fully autonomous, it reverses, and go forward by itself, The Audi's you are prompted to place in reverse and forward though. Hopefully that would be the case with Audi, [program update] though the Matrix head lights is a physical items that would need to be installed.

one more thing :
Transportation Department clears way for self-parking cars [January of 2016]
source:
Transportation Department clears way for self-parking cars - CNNPolitics.com

BMW has already been cleared to have it it is USA' cars

I should be obtaining my Prestige Audi by the end of this month.

Last edited by james.bond; 05-01-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The US A4 B9 does not have the ultrasonic side sensor (in the front bumper near the side marker) which is required for park assist, so it's more than just software.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by james.bond
The Matrix system was denied by the US Government because they want a separate system for low and high beam. Instead they have "high beam assist"

I assumed the Parking System assist would be added , it exist for the Tesla's cars in the USA, I would assume semi autonomous driving would be denied more then self assist parking. The A4 has the sensors for self parking, but the software has been removed. I would assume to blame the US government for that.

The Tesla last year via an software update had self driving and self parking features added to their cars. Tesla's self parking is fully autonomous, it reverses, and go forward by itself, The Audi's you are prompted to place in reverse and forward though. Hopefully that would be the case with Audi, [program update] though the Matrix head lights is a physical items that would need to be installed.

one more thing :
Transportation Department clears way for self-parking cars [January of 2016]
source:
Transportation Department clears way for self-parking cars - CNNPolitics.com

BMW has already been cleared to have it it is USA' cars

I should be obtaining my Prestige Audi by the end of this month.
VW has park assist too in the US, but it's more than software in Audis. It's missing a total of 4 sensors as posted above me.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

you are saying Volkswagen has park assist in the USA, but the child company, Audi does not? What kind of rubbish is that?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by james.bond
you are saying Volkswagen has park assist in the USA, but the child company, Audi does not? What kind of rubbish is that?
Correct, all MQB VW vehicles (Golf family for now) have park assist available. Here is a demo of it that I made at work.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank you for the video. that is terrible, a car costing 1/2 the price as a luxury car does not have those kind of features, yet it does in England for the new A9 cars.

Quick Reply: What are the USA Spec differences?