A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Why I would want to have a dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
I have the Viofo A119, and it does have a pseudo "parking mode" via motion detection without a pre-buffer option. I don't use that though as I've only connected it to the 12V socket which loses power when the car is switched off.

How is the PQ on the Opia2? Just got my wife a new car and am in the market for another dashcam.
Maybe I'm out of it at the moment, but what is pq?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Maybe I'm out of it at the moment, but what is pq?
Sorry my bad. Picture quality.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by s_Fanous
Sorry my bad. Picture quality.
It's the best IMHO that's why I went with it. Has the newest ambrella 12 chip and records in 1440p. Night clarity is fantastic.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Opia2 is the one I have. Big difference between the two.
Any questions, just ask. I did 2 weeks of 24/7 research on cams.
I am watching that Opia2, have a little bit of concern for that ball mount. Did you notice some extensive vibration?
I had earlier on my previous car a similar "ball" mount for my old cell phone I was using a russian ( ) app as a dashcam, yes that cellphone was way bulkier and heavier and for that reason the picture wasn't steady but vibrating...but again I had a lowered stiffer sport suspension with low profile rubber

Now back to OP to dashcams
I live in Northern suburb in Toronto. We don't have burglary or vandalism @ my place maybe do to ...uhm... couple high profile estates deep in the woods, big walls around and forged entrance gates...not commenting further what profile may be staying there...but a police have not much work here around me.
But, our family friends kids got into scams two times already down in the city (Toronto), arranged accidents, very clever way. Pretty expensive lessons learned...in-experienced (with car crashes) and first time goers please just drive around far away.

Last edited by bigHUN; 01-17-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bigHUN
I am watching that Opia2, have a little bit of concern for that ball mount. Did you notice some extensive vibration?
I had earlier on my previous car a similar "ball" mount for my old cell phone I was using a russian ( ) app as a dashcam, yes that cellphone was way bulkier and heavier and for that reason the picture wasn't steady but vibrating...but again I had a lowered stiffer sport suspension with low profile rubber
There is no vibration whatsoever. I have hit some pretty gnarly potholes and rough roads around here and not a twitch in the picture at all. Im very impressed. The cam wont move unless you move it.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now back to OP to dashcams
I live in Northern suburb in Toronto. We don't have burglary or vandalism @ my place maybe do to ...uhm... couple high profile estates deep in the woods, big walls around and forged entrance gates...not commenting further what profile may be staying there...but a police have not much work here around me.
But, our family friends kids got into scams two times already down in the city (Toronto), arranged accidents, very clever way. Pretty expensive lessons learned...in-experienced (with car crashes) and first time goers please just drive around far away.
Two reasons I have one installed, scams and my RS7 is expensive property. I went with the Blacksys CH 100B forward and rear.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't look at it yet but which side is a best routing to a constant-life fuse?
I will most likely go diy even if it a leased car. My plan to hide all the wires somehow and not convinced somebody else to do it somewhere in some shop corner.
Second Q: the power adapter. I read it somewhere that the Opia powerbox may not be a best choice also I shall cut off the power socket,
any advise?
Old 01-20-2017, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't look at it yet but which side is a best routing to a constant-life fuse?
I will most likely go diy even if it a leased car. My plan to hide all the wires somehow and not convinced somebody else to do it somewhere in some shop corner.
Second Q: the power adapter. I read it somewhere that the Opia powerbox may not be a best choice also I shall cut off the power socket,
any advise?
The left side panel fuses are all "always on". The Vicovation Powerplus is the best option for hardwiring with shutdown protection. Its extremely easy to use and is what I have hardwired to my car. I can take pictures/video if requested.

DO NOT cut off the power socket. You will need that to connect to the powerplus. Also, its not recommended ever to cut off the power socket as a simple hardwire job. Theres only a positive and a negative in there. You need three wires to have it do: power on, accessory mode, ground.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

DO NOT cut off the power socket. You will need that to connect to the powerplus. Also, its not recommended ever to cut off the power socket as a simple hardwire job. Theres only a positive and a negative in there. You need three wires to have it do: power on, accessory mode, ground.
If the power socket is on where to hide the wires? zip tie somewhere below the lower plastic covers?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If the power socket is on where to hide the wires? zip tie somewhere below the lower plastic covers?
The power plus has a cigarette lighter socket that can be used with any dash cam. The wires are long. I hid those wires above the passenger footwell behind the glovebox. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post up.

Quick Reply: Why I would want to have a dash cam