A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

2006 A4 soft top problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A4 soft top problems

OK i purchased this car in November and the top did not work then (got a good deal). I knew nothing about audi's at the time and nothing about power tops. But how hard can it be, right? Well, I've probably unerestimated this and the wife is growing impatient to see the top go up and down.
So here are the details:
There are no error messages of any kind - ever. When you press the top button nothing happens and there are no messages.
I have attempted to manually put the top down and I can unlatch the front with the tool and fold the top up over the back seat (front goes up, back moves up) manually, but I cannot unlock the rear deck cover. Something seems to be jamming it. My hope is that if I manually put the top down, and manually put it back up again, it may solve my problem.
My friend has a shop and they have Vag software and we checked the codes and there was only one related to the top (00830 Top Module).
Also the rear defroster does not function, which I believe may be related as I have read that it is disabled if the location of the top is unknown.
If I can figure out how to open the rear cover now I think this would be the next logical step. Anyone who has had this issue where they cant open the rear cover, and soved it, I'm listening... thanks!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default It's always under estimate the problem and over estimate oneself

The lid is manual, just the key to unlock it, as long as the lid is released, just lift it up.
Read my signature on what I've done with my Audis.
There are more stuff on cabriolet on my website. 2006 is still a B6 I believe with the facelift only.

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Louis,
The manual key isn't unlocking the rear cover. Well it has unlocked it two times but now the top is down and it's not working. Won't turn once the red **** is closed. If you jiggle it, you can hear the sound fo linkage or something But the lid will not release.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default The red **** is very tricky sometimes...

Originally Posted by guyinohio
Louis,
The manual key isn't unlocking the rear cover. Well it has unlocked it two times but now the top is down and it's not working. Won't turn once the red **** is closed. If you jiggle it, you can hear the sound fo linkage or something But the lid will not release.
especially if it's worn out or not hooked up correctly. You have to open the key, slide it straight in (1 side of the key is larger), when you twist the red **** to lock the key in place, it will feel tight. Turn counter clockwise, it should unlock and lift up. You can't giggle the red **** when it's locked, if you can giggle, the key is NOT locked correctly to the red ****.

Cabriolet Top Doesn't Close/Open - Remote - Latch Trunk Don't Work - AudiAudi
Convertible Top Doesn't Close Fixed - AudiAudi

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OK. Long silence but finally some progress/learning. The main switch was bad (between the seats). Once this was replaced the cover unlocked. Apparently (and I haven't verified this) Even when you manually open the cover with the tool you are actuating a switch which electronically unlocks the cover. Since the main switch had failed, the cover would not unlock. There is another problem. The passenger side cover hydraulic cylinder is bent. I believe I will have to replace it. The price on English speaking sites ranges from $482-578 for this cylinder. I found a company that rebuilds them but I don't think they will take one with a bent shaft. I found two that are "like new" priced in euros for around 180 shipped. I'm thinking of going that way. for the cylinder.