A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

stumped code still comes back for intake cam timing

Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumped code still comes back for intake cam timing

ok so ive changed the tensioner twice and done the timing 3 times because of this code im getting.

I originally got the code for intake cam over retarded so i replaced the chain tensioner.

now i get a code for intake cam over advanced. hence why i checked and re did the cam timing on the chain side. i still got the code so i replaced the tensioner again and checked timing. there is 16 chain links between the two sprockets and the marks on the cam sprocket as shown in the picture.

sorry for the crude art work but its the only way i could describe this. the intake cam as you can see in the picture is slightly to the right of the arrow after i remove the tensioner tool. i turned the engine over by hand twice and rechecked it, timing was still as it was. so i started it up, this time the car sounded normal during the initial start and drove normal.(before it sounded like it was misfiring the first 2 times i did the tensioner and timing).

the next day i checked with vag com and got the same code over advanced.
i bought the oil sump tube and doing it this weekend and will see..

but looking at where the intake cam sits in relation to the exhaust cam timing mark, what are the chances that the chain is infact stretched?

thanks
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i replaced the oil sump tube and found the old one was clogged. hopefully this fixes the issue.