A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

How to connect iPhone 6 to A4 AMI with Nav

Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to connect iPhone 6 to A4 AMI with Nav

I have read several posts but am still not clear. We just got an A4 with Nav and it has the iPod port in the glove box.
What adapter do I use to connect the iPhone to the car so that I can see the music on the phone on the radio display?
Thanks.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wanted to report that I have tried four different adapters so far. The first was an Audi part, 4FOO51510K. The connector on this was not right for the connector in the glove box of the car. I will sell this one, if anyone is interested.

I also got two cheap cables and a small adapter purchased on line.

They have a wide 30 pin female connector (to connect to the glove box connector) and either go to a USB female or lightning male. One also had a phone jack for the earphone socket on the iPhone.

Surprisingly, none of these worked. The iPhone could get power, but the sound system did not recognize it.

Next thing will be to get a used iPod.

Richard
Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default If you car come with the original AMI from Audi...

There are a few options you can do with the original cable. Your car should be MMI 2G, the original ipod, iphone resistance should be 1.87k which you have to get cable with that resistor. The new MMI 3G has 18.7k.
If you have newer iPhone 5 with lightning connector, you need to convert the original cable (30pins to 8 pins) to lightning using an adapter. If yours didn't come with any cable, get the right one for MMI 2G (1.87k).
If you can solder, open the cheap cable and change the resistor to 1.87k, make sure all the pins are correct <a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/modify-ami-cable-to-stream-music-through-bluetooth-dongle-on-mmi-2g-and-mmi-3g.html">follow this post</a>.
If you want to stream audio from phone to AMI with bluetooth, you won't be able to see the songs and you have to modify the cable differently. If you want to see the songs, you have to plug the phone or ipod to the correct cable.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 08-22-2016, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Connecting iPhone

Thanks, Louis.

I bought a 30 pin male to Lightning male adapter cable. This one also had a 3.5 mm phone plug. It did not work.

I have this part:

Audi iPod Cable | eBay

Where is the connector that this fits into? I don't see it in the glove box.

There is also another adapter on eBay for the newer iPhones:

Audi Music Interface Ami Aux Charge Lightning Cable for iPod iPhone 5 5S 6 Plus | eBay

Again, I am not sure where the in-car connector is.

I can solder OK. I will study the web page you sent.

Richard
Old 08-22-2016, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you have AMI? All AMI have the same connector?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default MMI or AMI?

Not sure if it is MMI or AMI. A previous post in this thread said MMI.

Richard
Old 08-22-2016, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ami= audi music interface which is an option for MMI = multimedia interface
Your car may equipped with MMI and not Ami

Cheers,
Louis
Old 08-22-2016, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Connector?

OK. But where is the rectangular connector for the adapter cables you mentioned and I listed in a previous post? (Assuming it is there.)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think I have found a resolution for connecting an iPhone 6 to my 2009 Audi A4 Cabriolet MMI sound system. There is a company called EnfigCarStereo that sells several kits. Christian there seems to know a lot about Audi sound systems.

The connectors I bought were around $232 and I will have to pull the radio to set up the connectors. This will not allow me to see the music text on the MMI screen, but I will be able to see and scroll through it on the "cluster" display between the tachometer and speedometer.

The cable with the rectangular connector that I mentioned earlier seems to be for a newer model car.

Richard
Old 09-01-2016, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Our 2008 A4 Cab had Nav and the IPod port in the glove box. I remember plugging in my IPod touch directly and it worked. I always found the SD cards worked better.

Our 2016 A3 Cab has the AMI with the lightning connector in the center console, but with bluetooth streaming we only use it for phone charging now. There is also a USB that only charges also. But with a VCDS tweak that is supposed to connect as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to connect iPhone 6 to A4 AMI with Nav