A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

PLEASE READ: Soft Top Recall? Class-action suit?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE READ: Soft Top Recall? Class-action suit?????

Let me start by asking anyone who has resolved this issue through AoA or otherwise to please detail how they did so...

I have an '05 S4 cab, and my rear window is falling out like so many of these things seem to. And like many others here, I have been turned away from a replacement by the dealer, despite the car being under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. The dealer quoted me $6433 to replace the top! The special adhesive they use on the rear windows is crap, and I have been told by a local convertible top and upholstery shop that the A4/S4 cab is now a large part of their business due to this defect. (I got a quote of $2575 for the new top from them...) It hardly seems fair for Audi to shove a bill this large down our throats for a DEFECTIVE manufacturing process on cars UNDER WARRANTY. So, I think it may be worth either figuring out how to pressure Audi into recalling these awful tops, or think about a class-action suit to get the repair covered.

Please, if you have had any success dealing with this, write in. I just can't believe that such a common problem that is so clearly a defect is not being recalled or covered by the warranty. This is just inexcusably poor product support, and we need to find a way to remedy it.

EDIT: I know a lot of people have had limited or full success dealing with this individually, and reading their stories has been somewhat helpful in figuring out how to deal with this on my own. However, I think it is absurd that I need to spend to much of my own time and energy resolving a problem with a defect on a warrantied vehicle. I have always been very happy with Audi's warranties (I got a cupholder replaced gratis once due to breaking it off with my elbow, plus I got a free carwash - and I didn't even bring it in for the cupholder!) but this is really too much of an issue for too many people to be left alone, or for people to deal with by themselves. Any suggestions on how to organize a petition for recall or other action would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Check out the results from the following search:

Hi TwoSeven.
On this forum, do the following search and you will find a LOT of people w/ the same problem:
Search for: Rear Window, select "All Sections" and highlight the A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussions.
You will see my post dated 9-30-07 in which I detail how I eventually got AoA to pay for it 100%. You will also see lots of other posts on the subject. All the threads are worth your time reading. Those poor first people that had this happen to them...they mostly had to pay as they were deemed 'isolated cases.' Thanks to forums like this, we now know this is not the case. In fact, when my top was replaced, no one at Audi could tell me if they were now using a different adhesive to avoid a repeat of this situation in a few years. I have seen Cabs w/ obvious glue jobs in parking lots. I myself had to put duct tape on all edges until this was fixed, and was about to email AoA the photo, when they fixed it.
Another thing: once you get AoA to do ONE "accommodation," you can kiss any other accommodations good-bye. I was told they only do one accommodation per customer. So do it on something big like this.
If you search under, "Convertible Top Motor Failure," you'll see my other post dated 8-08. After they replaced a cracked windshield, water was starting to come in from the top left corner (would drip on my thigh when driving). They "cleaned out the channel" (huh?) and low and behold it worked but I'll be darned: now my top motor won't work anymore! They chalked that up to a coincidence but I balked. Finally they split it w/ me but that left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't been back since.
You can get AoA to cover it, but you have to be politely persistent; gather up all the data you can to back up your (reasonable) demand. Take it up the food chain. They make you work for it but it can be done. I'm surprised a TSB hasn't been issued for this yet (maybe it has....I haven't chkd lately).
I do love my car, but the experience w/ getting them to handle an obvious defect has lead me to question if I should purchase Audi again.
Best of luck to you and let us know the outcome.
Regards,
Jill (xaviexavie)
So. CA
Old 10-14-2008, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Check out the results from the following search:

Hi Xaviexavie,

Thanks for posting that - I did actually already read your post on the topic, and will certainly be attempting to do with AoA what you did. I am more concerned about Audi's seemingly decreasing concern for quality product and support than about having to park in the garage when it rains - that is why I am hoping to generate enough interest among owners to find a way to pressure Audi to issue a recall for this UBER-costly defect.

I will speak with AoA soon and will post my experience with them here. So far, the only contact with Audi personnel of any nature has been with the local dealer, who is usually excellent but claimed that "Audi won't cover the top problem" after I had them look at it. So, I will update this thread when I have more info...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Top Issues

I so agree w/ you. Even if replaced, what guarantee do we have that we aren't't just be postponing the inevitable?
They apparently do not subscribe to the adage, "It's cheaper to keep a customer than get a customer."
This was my first ever new car...the tranny went after the first 6 mo and they replaced no problem. I know stuff happens, and I appreciated their quick step up to the plate.
But this top thing is just ridiculous. Maybe a lemon-law attorney could assist w. a class-action but who knows. One of the first posters on this subject WAS an attorney and he didn't get full compensation.
For a nearly $50K car, and considering how much it was babied (not abused), this was unacceptable.
Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Top Issues

Funny how a $5 interior visor clip that I broke by being a moron got replaced without even so much as asking at my last dealer visit, but this repair, costing well over 10% of the approximately $62,000 when-new cost of my S4 cab, is not covered. Really, really funny.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default May I suggest we start documenting this w/ nhtsa.gov ......

I just reviewed and saw no TSB's on this subject.
I am thinking any of us who has had this problem should file a complaint w/ the nhtsa.
Whether or not AoA fixed it, if enough complaints get logged into their database, a trend will be established that could result eventually in a safety recall.

Best,
Jill
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Update

So, tomorrow I am taking in the Cab for a coil pack replacement (big surprise, I know...) and a rep from AoA will be there to "see what they can do" about the top issue... MORE TO FOLLOW, I promise... we will see.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Started dealing with AoA... this isn't going well...

The AoA rep I dealt with said that the roof appeared to have been "damaged" according to the service department at the dealership I took it to (AoA said they would need to work with this while the car was at a dealer so they could speak directly with the service manager.) Therefore, the dealership convinced AoA that this was somehow my fault, and they declined to pay one red cent towards this. To make matters worse, I also found out that my warranty just expired last week, due to time, not miles. So now AoA won't do anything at all.

I will be filing a complaint with the NHTSA later today.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do NOT give up!

Have every shred of data you can think of. Keep a copy and present the other to the zone rep. They are counting on you to take it only so far and then give up.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default UPDATE #2

I spoke today with another AoA rep, who gave me the same canned kick in the *** the first rep gave me, so I politely requested a chat with their supervisor. The supervisor did reiterate that the biggest concern with them regarding their initial decision to not assist me in any way was the car being out of warranty. To which I used the evidence I found here of others getting "accommodated" outside of warranty. Then, the supervisor indicated that other factors come into play, such as brand loyalty (this is Audi number five for me, so all set there) and service history with the dealer. To which I politely pointed out that repairing a major safety-related defect should not be related to where I get my oil changed. Eventually the supervisor agreed to look into the matter further, and will be contacting the service manager at the local dealer again tomorrow, after which time a follow-up call will come my way. We shall see... but I am concerned that the service manager's review of the issue was the first and possibly biggest red flag to AoA in this process.

By the way, I spent most of my time on the phone reminding the AoA folks that I am legitimately concerned that the rear window will come out at highway speeds and KILL someone. I shouldn't have to be concerned about killing someone in a car this recently out of warranty!!!

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ: Soft Top Recall? Class-action suit?????