A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

PLEASE READ: Soft Top Recall? Class-action suit?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One way of repair

Hi there, this is my first forum post so probably i'll need to edit it a few times, so bear with me.

I bought 2005 S4 convertible and didn't see (nor looked at) that the rear window is getting detached from the roof. Life lesson learned - check rear window when buying a convertible.

So I found a lot of great suggestions online but not many of them with pictures so I thought maybe I should upload mine repair so the rest of you that are stuck with this problem can see how it comes out in the end.

So here is my problem. The glass was detached everywhere except in the top and 10cm line at the bottom.

I know you are now wondering how didn't I see that - I'm too, but what's here is here so lets go.

First raise a top just a little bit to release tension

Also at this point I used the tape to mark where the line of original primer/glue was - you will see in the pictures below that it doesn't make much sense to do that because the top shrinks over time.

Next use razor blade to remove old glue. I thought it would go much harder but it comes off pretty easy.

After removing old glue, you are left with glass, so to ensure that the adhesive will stick to it I used M3 primer. Besfore applying primer clean the glass with adhesive remover.

Amazon.com: 3M 08682 Single Step Primer - 30 ml: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 08682 Single Step Primer - 30 ml: Automotive

Let it dry for 10 minutes. After it's dry now you can apply adhesive. I used one from M3 (black to match the top color). You will need a gun to apply it.

3M 08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane Black Cartridge - 10.5 fl oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive 3M 08609 Window-Weld Super Fast Urethane Black Cartridge - 10.5 fl oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Apply a 1/2 inch line in the middle between the end of the glass and the tape that marked the old glue line.

While doing this make sure you protect the car itself

After you apply adhesive lower your roof and put something to press the glass from inside. I used pillows and blankets. The excess adhesive will be pushed outside.

Don't worry about that you will cut it off when it cures. Let it cure over a few days. I waited for 3 days

After you cut the excess adhesive you still will have the primer on

Use razor blade to remove the primer outside the roof, and the final result is here

Hope this helps, especially because no one want to touch the roof. I called over 20 places asking them if they can do it and the only answer I got is you need to replace the whole roof.

I've put down the top a couple of times and it holds. I'll be posting updates on the repair.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Can't see any pics? Anyone?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for that. I have no idea why the pictures are not showing up. If you right click on the icon that should be a picture and click open link in new tab you'll see the album.

I would be thankful if anyone can help with the picture issues.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wow. Great pics.

It's amazing that this is still quite the issue.
I'm dumbfounded that Audi didn't recall these. You'd think it would be deemed a safety hazard as it could bonk someone on the head or fly out while driving on the highway.

Been looking at cars to replace my 03 in the future...even though Audi eventually replaced my top, it was a nightmare experience which left a poor taste in my mouth.

Bad enough that my next car won't be an Audi.

Hope your fix holds up. Thanks for sharing all that you did!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I tried the 3m window weld and it lasted 2 weeks. so will try the marine stuff next
Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 05 A4 CAB

I can join the many that share this issue. I there is a legit class action some please let be know.. 77,000.00 miles and the rear window fails.. $6500.00 to relace and that's not from Audi.. What a same
Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Having a water leak and found I am too having the problem - left bottom of window... 2005 A4 3L... just turned 88,000. Only had it one year. Started looking for trouble when speakers went "pop"... took out back seat and found puddle. 1st found that back seal under deck all messed up and thought that was the trouble... dried out seat, speakers came back on while seat was out. Put dry seat back in and "pop" off go the speakers again. Have search the forum for that issue also - no replies. any one have ideas for that one??? Radio is fine in dash. Will get marine sealant for window. Not replacing perfectly good top!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 06 caribic blue. Same issue. Dealer couldn't help me but told me to file case with Audi. Same day I filed case the dealership called me and said audi is sending complete new top and paying for install. This was about four years ago and I'm glad I filed. FYI : I did it online with lots of pics
Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mrmnico
I have an 06 caribic blue. Same issue. Dealer couldn't help me but told me to file case with Audi. Same day I filed case the dealership called me and said audi is sending complete new top and paying for install. This was about four years ago and I'm glad I filed. FYI : I did it online with lots of pics
Sorry to dig up an old post, but where did you file online? I wonder if they would still do the same...
Old 04-08-2018, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A4 B6 2006 Cabriolet with rear window issue

Well I own an Audi Cabriolet with the whole bottom half of the window separating from the top. I ended up using GE Iron Grip silicone adhesive for interior and exterior use and sofa cushions to support the glass inside while I squeezed a bead of it ooze on both sides of the glass and the V-groove canvas top sealing surface. Cured for 48 hours and It has lasted 4 months with no issues; does not leak in the rain and my son uses top all the time.

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ: Soft Top Recall? Class-action suit?????