A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Sounds like rolling marbles in my car????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like rolling marbles in my car????

Funny sound...ex., when I go around a curve the marbles (or whatever) roll to one side, then an opposite direction curve they'll roll to the other side. Sometime sounds seem to come from back of car, other times sounds like coming from doors. Best description... rolling marbles? Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this sound.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you checked to see if there is anything in the spare tire well or under a seat?
Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you.... nothing in the wheel well, nothing under front seats, I'll take a look under the rear seat,soon.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are you sure it is not water? When my rear window separated from my top, water was coming in from the back. It would go underneath the floors of the car. I could hear the water moving below me if I started or stopped quickly; all the water would gush to the front. It kind of sounded like a thousand marbles. I have about an inch of standing water underneath my floors right now... about to go shopvac it out as we speak.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If it is water, you'll want to get it up as soon as possible before it ruins your comfort control module, which is a $700 part. This happens to pretty much every cabriolet.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you.... well, I'm almost positive it's not water, the sound is only from side to side, never front to rear (or vice versa). I could see the bottom corners of the rear window have been repaired before I bought the car & I did further repair to it a week ago, it never leaked, I just wanted to double up on the sealant and fill in a small gap. But I will double check for water. Good luck with the vacuuming.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I recently replaced my entire top. But before I did, I had the exact same sound you describe. I am 95% certain it was inside the top close to where it latched / unlatched to the metal (near the sun visors). Turn to the left, there she rolls. Turn to the right, same thing. The rolling sound was from the front and you could hear it travel the whole side. Real pronounced on curved on & off ramps.

I looked all around to try and "see" if anything busted off or could obviously point to the source, but it was internal and I never found it.

After the top was replaced, the sound is no more.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That is exactly it! And, I was convinced it had something to do with the top, you just confirmed. The top is in decent shape, so I'll live with the rolling for now.

Thank you,
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yep! My concern was if this was a loose nut or bolt...was something going to come apart because of this?
But nothing ever did.
At least it wasn't our brains rattling!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hahaha.... not so sure about me, but I like a guy that looks on the bright side.

Quick Reply: Sounds like rolling marbles in my car????