A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Trunk/boot latch opening issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk/boot latch opening issues

I own a 2003 A4 Cabriolet 1.8L FWD. The trunk latch suddenly stopped working by the key fob, the trunk lid handle, and the interior switch. I am able to open it manually using the key, turning it to the left in the keyhole on the trunk lid handle to directly unlock the latch.

Perusing past posts, it seemed that the actuator (4B9962115C) was likely to blame, so I ordered a new one and installed it over the weekend. (By the way, if you try this yourself, please be aware that there is a stealthy phillips screw in the well of the right trunk lid inside pull. I say stealthy because it is covered with fuzz, like the lid liner, and I did not see it until I broke the lid handle by pulling too hard on the liner to remove it! I guess it will be automotive glue to the rescue...)

The new actuator did not solve the problem, so I reset the electronic systems by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. Still not working. I checked the fuses. None out.

I finally put a 12V voltage detector light on the harness that connects to the actuator, and nothing. There seems to be no current going to the actuator when I press the key fob, the trunk lid handle, and the interior switch.

All other electronic features seem to be working---the doors lock and unlock via the key fob, the alarm system sounds from the key, fob, etc.

I have not checked the wiring but am reluctant to do so, since everything is so tightly wrapped and I do not know where the harness goes to...

I am wondering what next? Any ideas?

P.S. I have also posted this question on the general B6 subforum.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an interesting post that may identify the issue here, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...fixed-2848033/ .

If the convertible top registers a fault, not only does it stop working but the trunk latch control is disabled. I tried opening my top this morning (in my garage, in winter, in Minnesota), and it did not move (and the yellow indicator light just flashed on my dashboard).

So, I am holding tight on any further repairs, etc., until we get a warm enough day to go through the manual reset procedure. I will post the outcome here, in the A4 Cabriolet B6 forum, since this issue is specific to the Cabriolet.