A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Why Expensive 75k Mile Inspection for '05 Cab w/21k miles?

Old 07-12-2015, 10:42 AM
S&R
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Expensive 75k Mile Inspection for '05 Cab w/21k miles?

When I went in for a time-oriented (not mileage) oil/filter change, the Dealer's Service person "suggested" I get the 75k check including replacement of the timing belt. I asked if it could be done while the car is there, and he said it was a two-day project and would have to be scheduled. That triggered me to ask the cost. I woke up with smelling salts after I heard the $2,600 "approximate" number.

I asked why my A-4 Cab 3.0 with extremely low mileage (21k), that has been maintained meticulously by the same Dealer/Service since new, needed a 75k checkup. He went from "suggesting" to an ever-increasing form of pressure including that my engine will be destroyed if the timing belt isn't changed. In the process of our ownership, we were convinced to get the progressive mileage checkups (50k was done two years ago) even though the car was not driven much at all. I KNOW - - BELTS, AND OTHER RUBBER THINGS CAN GO BAD OVER TIME AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS. Each of these checkups resulted in no work done because the car is kept in perfect condition and has always been kept in a clean garage.

So, I told him I would think about it, and they finished the oil change.

When I got home, I read the worksheet/statement, and saw a note saying the customer was informed to have the 75k and timing belt work but "REFUSED"!! Now, a few weeks later, I received a fancy post card that warns of not complying with the service center and the possibility of disaster. The ominous letter did not mention the 75k check - but instead named the timing belt, drive belts, and water pump replacements. The only one mentioned to me by the service person was the timing belt. a short few weeks went by and already my Audi is getting worn out without even having the engine start.

Do any of you who have technical background on the 3.0 'B' engine have an opinion besides what I have been told by the Audi representation?

A good friend and long-time Audi owner/aficionado told me I should hold off and not worry. He DID say that if the timing belt on the 3.0 loses a tooth or two, the engine will be severely hurt.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize that this is an old post but here are my thoughts for others
Timing belts get old and brittle with age.
!0 years is about where I start to get worried.
I purchased a 2003 cab 3.0 with 124K miles in 2016 with the original belt.
I immediately had it changed along with the water pump, front cam seals, tensioner, roller and serpentine belt, new coolant for 900 dollars including parts and labor at a non dealer.

The big question is why you are taking the car to the dealer?.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:44 PM
S&R
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks David9999

Originally Posted by david9999
I realize that this is an old post but here are my thoughts for others
Timing belts get old and brittle with age.
!0 years is about where I start to get worried.
I purchased a 2003 cab 3.0 with 124K miles in 2016 with the original belt.
I immediately had it changed along with the water pump, front cam seals, tensioner, roller and serpentine belt, new coolant for 900 dollars including parts and labor at a non dealer.

The big question is why you are taking the car to the dealer?.
Thanks, David:I appreciate your confirmation of exactly what I had done at the dealer. To answer your question in simple terms: Great Question! As I pointed out in my thread, the postcard threat from the dealer demonstrated why I am not interested in buying from them or any other Audi dealer. I've heard enough. They could have explained the reason why I needed to spend this kind of money on a $50+K vehicle and I may still have paid them to keep the tiny percentage of "equity" left on the car regardless of low mileage. But their threat along with failure to tell me exactly what parts must be changed (exactly what you said) did it for me. Now, all I need to do is find a good non-dealer in Central Oregon. Thanks again. R&S
Old 01-25-2018, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

My sis is still driving my 04 cabriolet with 100k miles on them. If it works, don't fix it. My 06 A8L with 122k miles, still has original belt. I believe original belt is the best. Just remove the cover to check the condition of the belt. If you need who I took care of my cabriolet and other Audis
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/category/a4-b6-cabriolet
Cheers,
Louis
Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Change Timing Belt at Recommended 100,000 mile or earlier

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
My sis is still driving my 04 cabriolet with 100k miles on them. If it works, don't fix it. My 06 A8L with 122k miles, still has original belt. I believe original belt is the best. Just remove the cover to check the condition of the belt. If you need who I took care of my cabriolet and other Audis
A4 B6 Cabriolet ? Audi
Cheers,
Louis
Being new to the Audi community I have to agree to disagree with Louis for the simple reason that I had the timing belt changed, along with the tensioner, idler pulley and water pump for $800 and was indeed fortunate that I did. I found that the previous owner had changed the water pump but REUSED the old OEM timing belt at 100,000 miles, so when the mechanic cracked open the works we found a fresh w/p with metal impeller (good), but frayed and ragged OEM timing belt.The timing belt is very hard inspect because of all the hardware in front blocking the removal of timing belt cover, and even though the belt may "look" good, it is precision toothed belt that may have hidden damage the eye cannot see. Also, the pulleys and tensioner bearings may be dragging or lubricant leaked out past the seals; as well as the water pump (the OEM plastic impeller is prone to seize or drag) may cause the belt to slip a tooth trashing the valve timing and valves to bits. JMHO

Last edited by RoMan709; 04-11-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those of us who owned B5 A4 1.8T remember when Audi had a suggested change interval of 120K miles to try to keep the perceived cost of routine maintenance down Unfortunately, there were a lot of tensioners and belts breaking at 80K.