Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

$800 for 55k service

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Here's an extra 5% off your RockAuto parts -

https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com
Haha, thanks for looking out. Actually I did use that exact code. I do love rockauto!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You may be confusing the original Audi Care (for the first four services) or the older Audi Care Plus (three subsequent services) with the recently changed Audi Care Select which is for any two services after the 45K (i.e. 55/65, 65/75 or 75/85K mi.). None of these are related to the warranty. I can only reference what the Audi Care Select document states.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Hi fellow AW C7 board compadres. Quick question for those of you who have changed your air filters. I'm old school (please don't flame me) and change my oil in my /15 A6 3.0T every 5K miles -- IMHO cheap insurance and gives me peace of mind. I live in an urban area and my practice has been to drop a new air filter in every 15,000 miles. I'm really surprised that the maintenance schedule for the A6 doesn't require a new air filter before 55,000 miles. I have a couple of OEM air filters in the garage and intended to continue my usual practice since I'm now at almost 15,000 miles. To those of you who have changed your own, when did you do it and how did the filter look when you did it? I'm thinking of extending to 20,000 miles (not in the least because more of a job to change the air filter in the A6 than in my old Acura TL). Thanks!

Best,
Jeff
Old 10-20-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Quick question for those of you who have changed your air filters.
My 2012 A7 had 18,000 miles when I bought it. I checked the air filter and vacuumed out the air box soon after, it needed it. I did change the air filter when I installed a Injen intake in June 2016.

Changing a air filter early does no harm especially if the car is in a urban area.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

...... To those of you who have changed your own, when did you do it and how did the filter look when you did it? I'm thinking of extending to 20,000 miles (not in the least because more of a job to change the air filter in the A6 than in my old Acura TL). Thanks!

Best,
Jeff
I also am a DIY guy. And I change my air filter and oil based on occasional inspections.. Not a set schedule.
I check filter every couple of months and check for color and debris. If pretty clean I strike lightly against hard surface to shake out sand and other debris.
If color shows shows signs of much gunk I replace it. When I had stock airbox I also took that out and shook out any debris.

the Oil I also change based on viscosity and color. Over years I've learned my preferences. If I feel oil change is needed before service records require it... I then do it. I thank my dad for teaching me about car maintenance.

Edit:
Here is online maintenance schedules for 2012 and 2016.
2012: https://pictures.dealer.com/aoa/Sche...Chart_2012.pdf

2016: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-Year-2016.pdf

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 10-20-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd be curious to know how this situation has unfolded for OP, any updates?
Old 10-21-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi fellow AW C7 board compadres. Quick question for those of you who have changed your air filters. I'm old school (please don't flame me) and change my oil in my /15 A6 3.0T every 5K miles -- IMHO cheap insurance and gives me peace of mind. I live in an urban area and my practice has been to drop a new air filter in every 15,000 miles. I'm really surprised that the maintenance schedule for the A6 doesn't require a new air filter before 55,000 miles. I have a couple of OEM air filters in the garage and intended to continue my usual practice since I'm now at almost 15,000 miles. To those of you who have changed your own, when did you do it and how did the filter look when you did it? I'm thinking of extending to 20,000 miles (not in the least because more of a job to change the air filter in the A6 than in my old Acura TL). Thanks!

Best,
Jeff
The funny thing about filters be it oil, air or cabin is that it gets more efficient with use so changing it every 15K miles does not necessarily mean it's the best for the car. Over maintaining a car can be just as dangerous as under maintaining it. I actually know a few people who over maintained stuff like transmission fluid in their cars and had problems due to mixing of different fluids and/or get particles of dirt getting stuck in the gears and now the shifts become notchy.

Audi has put their cars thru many tests and from that they come up with the scheduled maintenance. Simply just follow it and the engine will outlast the body of your car. The electronics and other components will nickel and dime you to death before the engine does.

The reason for the air filter change at 55K miles is due to the fact that it has a pre-filter on the outside so the filter actually can last twice as much as a regular air filter you find in your old TL and also the reason why Acura calls for 30K mile filter changes.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
The funny thing about filters be it oil, air or cabin is that it gets more efficient with use
Hmmm..... So your saying as a filter gets dirtier it works better? That contradicts everything I've learned in my 50+ years of wrenching pretty much anything I've ever owned that has a motor. My dad, who was a mechanic for over 35 years would get a great chuckle out of that statement!!!
Old 10-21-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
The funny thing about filters be it oil, air or cabin is that it gets more efficient with use so changing it every 15K miles does not necessarily mean it's the best for the car. Over maintaining a car can be just as dangerous as under maintaining it. I actually know a few people who over maintained stuff like transmission fluid in their cars and had problems due to mixing of different fluids and/or get particles of dirt getting stuck in the gears and now the shifts become notchy.

Audi has put their cars thru many tests and from that they come up with the scheduled maintenance. Simply just follow it and the engine will outlast the body of your car. The electronics and other components will nickel and dime you to death before the engine does.

The reason for the air filter change at 55K miles is due to the fact that it has a pre-filter on the outside so the filter actually can last twice as much as a regular air filter you find in your old TL and also the reason why Acura calls for 30K mile filter changes.
Saying a filter becomes more efficient over time contradicts physics. A filter is a device that contains a lot of very tiny holes. Debris is larger than the holes so it plugs them up. The filter becomes less efficient over time. Oil also breaks down and becomes less effective over time. Your argument is invalid. Changing the oil or filter sooner than recommended hurts nothing except your wallet. The same goes for transmission fluid/filter. Unless you use the wrong fluid in it no harm is done. Particles and dirt cannot get stuck in the "gears" and cause "notchy" shifting.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just took my A6 in for the 5k service, and decided to purchase the Audi Care package for $849+tax and be done with it.

I am not a DIYer, and really don't want to deal with finding a trusted indie mechanic to save a few bucks.

For peace of mind, I am taken care of service wise for the next 3-4 years.

Quick Reply: $800 for 55k service